• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'll cop it from huge KP fans for this, but IMO that'll always be the difference between him and the true greats if he continues bat like that

There's taking calculated risks and batting aggressively, and then there's being an arrogant douche.

That was being an arrogant douche.

If he ever gets that out of his game, the sky is the limit. But as a bowler, for now, no matter how much he gets on top of you, you know he's only one stupid shot away from gifting you a wicket.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Though no doubt that was a dumb shot, I think that was a smart piece of bowling there from Hauritz, he probably saw him going for that paddle sweep and pushed it far outside the off-stump, so gotta give Horrie some credit there.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boycott being particularly amusing about KP on TMS. Saying if anyone defends KP they're idiots.

Fair comment, IMHO.

tooextracool

International Coach
If I was Ponting, I would consider bowling Katich to Flintoff early. Anyone with even the slightest bit of mystery to his bowling has the capability of deceiving Flintoff early in his innings.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll cop it from huge KP fans for that, but that'll always be the difference between him and the true greats if he continues to do that.

There's taking calculated risks and batting aggressively, and then there's being an arrogant douche.

If he ever gets that out of his game, the sky is the limit. But as a bowler, for now, no matter how much he gets on top of you, you know he's only one stupid shot away from gifting you a wicket.
Ha, Mikey Holding just totally paraphrased Jono's post.

Without the arrogant douche references tho. :ph34r:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
KP's 3 innings are over. Now we can get on with the rest of the side who are only allowed one per innings. A little surprised Doctrove didn't give that one N/O tho.
You could at least pretend you're not the world famous troll from years past.

EDIT: Beaten by Dale, but point still stands.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Though no doubt that was a dumb shot, I think that was a smart piece of bowling there from Hauritz, he probably saw him going for that paddle sweep and pushed it far outside the off-stump, so gotta give Horrie some credit there.
Yeah, deserves a lot of credit

Having said that, out-smarting KP is not the hardest thing to do

tooextracool

International Coach
Australia have got to get Prior driving on the front foot, theres no point pushing him on the back foot, he is a tremendous player of the pull and cut. His weakness is his footwork and they are yet to make him drive consistently.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This. He drifted it beautifully once he saw the sweep coming.

pup11

International Coach
I'll cop it from huge KP fans for this, but IMO that'll always be the difference between him and the true greats if he continues bat like that

The flip-side to that is, he would no longer be the same batsman, who has got that X-factor and the ability to win England games on his own, its his personality and attitude that sets him apart from other players, and if he changes that, then might no longer have the same effect that he has now.

Andre

International Regular
Well done to Nathan Hauritz, happy to see him have one go his way.

He's done his job well so far today. He's never been particularly penetrative so he isn't expected to run through teams. He has, however, kept things tight and picked up a crucial wicket on the first day of a Test match, wouldn't suprise to see him pick up Flintoff either (how does it work that he could bash Warne in 2005 and can't hit a spinner off the square since?!? Most bats are the other way around haha!).

I dare say they'd be happy with his days work. Congrats Aussie selectors, looks like they have got it right with Hauritz and Hilfenhaus.

Thought Collingwood batted well, KP never really looked in for mine. Prior looks a good bat so far, he's the key between 300 or 350+.

Ps. Thanks Richard and David for the earlier comments. David, everything going along pretty well, hope things are well for you mate.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hmmm well, think England only have themselves to blame for the position they are in tbh, so many crap shots for the dismissals, most of which could have been avoided.

tooextracool

International Coach
The flip-side to that is, he would no longer be the same batsman, who has got that X-factor and the ability to win England games on his own, its his personality and attitude that sets him apart from other players, and if he changes that, then might no longer have the same effect that he has now.
The point though is that there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance but no one obviously told Pietersen about it. Brian Lara was a confident batsman who took risks and went for his shots. However he didn't play shots that were completely ridiculous just beceause he thought he could do anything. The switch hit is another shot I've frequently felt to be the most ridiculously stupid shot to play in the longer format. The risk involved with that shot far exceeds the return or the benefits from the return. Yeah its a crowd pleaser but its a stroke that really sets himself up for his own demise.

pskov

International 12th Man
I think on pitch this slow and with the decent amount of turn we've seen on day one a first innings score of around 350 would be pretty good. Not sure if England will get there though, one of Flintoff or Prior will probably need to make a fifty at least.