• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Woodster

International Captain
Can't quite believe we had Hauritz & Clarke in tandem in the second session of day one. I've promised myself I'll ration my references to 2005, but jeez, talk about after the lord mayor's show.
Yes a pretty tame period of play, England rightly opting to milk them for three or four singles an over, while attempting to pounce on the loose one, while neither really looked like finding the breakthrough. They bowled a tight enough line, but not at all threatening.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can't quite believe we had Hauritz & Clarke in tandem in the second session of day one. I've promised myself I'll ration my references to 2005, but jeez, talk about after the lord mayor's show.

Taff crowd not exactly bouncing off the rafters either; probably wondering why the ball's small and round and the goal posts are so tiny, tbh.
I'd have done it, Pietersen and Collingwood weren't perfectly set and Pietersen's gotten himself out to joke spinners in the past with massive brain farts.

Was a gamble that almost paid off with Clark almost bowling Pietersen. Had that ball been 2 inches to the left, we'd be calling Ponting a tactical genius.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is it just me or do others think that having the first Ashes test in Cardiff is a bit like playing the Boxing Day test in Launceston - just desnt seem to have the same feel to it
Yeah, quite agree. I know it's actually a relatively new development that the first test was always at HQ, but the atmosphere was always ****-on, even if we inevitably lose.

Mind you yer Welsh actually have played union tests in London (saw them destroyed by Lomu and co at Wembley in 1997, if memory serves), so nothing's sacred in sport where there's a quid in it.

pup11

International Coach
Hauritz looks an infinitely better bowler when he flights the ball. Give it some air, son! Forget the runs, time for a wicket.

KP seems determines to slap Hauritz into the legside and Horrie seems determined to help him by bowling darts. Why?
What you are saying is true, but I don't think Ponting is too keen to let him attack, judging by all the protection he has for him in the deep, he has probably just been asked to keep the runs down and just consider any wicket that comes his way as a bonus.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A chorus of "There's only one Glenn McGrath" followed by "You're not Glenn McGrath" after Siddle spears one down leg. Life in the crowd, if not originality.

&, Is it me, or has Hilfy maybe taken a liking to our English pies? Looks somewhat burlier than when I saw him in SA.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm suprised Katich didn't get a go instead of Clarke. He might bowl some pies, but he's the Aussie spinner I'm most worried about because of his ability to take wickets.

pup11

International Coach
Hilfy needs to bowl a lot more of those incoming balls (to the right handers), to make his natural outswinger a lot more effective and dangerous.

Anyways Australia are just letting this game drift here, and soon they could find themselves behind the 8-ball in this game, they need a good spell from one of the quicks here.

EDIT:Why the hell didn't Hilfenhaus made a more convincing appeal there, KP was gone for all money there.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm suprised Katich didn't get a go instead of Clarke. He might bowl some pies, but he's the Aussie spinner I'm most worried about because of his ability to take wickets.
Think there's a perception (and there's some truth in it) that KP has issues with pish SLA filth (Yuvi, essentially), although Vettori and Benn have got him a few times each too.

Was stone dead there however. Ump musta thought he'd got some bat on it.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tried to boycott this game, but I just can't. Expect I'll probably fall asleep at some point though, the way it's been going.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Think there's a perception (and there's some truth in it) that KP has issues with pish SLA filth (Yuvi, essentially), although Vettori and Benn have got him a few times each too.

Was stone dead there however. Ump musta thought he'd got some bat on it.
Didn't it go to hand though?