• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

loterry1994

International Debutant
I’m just disappointed as hell we probably won’t get anymore play today. This game was still in the balance. Wood looked a bit dangerous also. They milked plenty of runs from their spinners though. Roots not a main spinner his the type you bring for 2-3 over spells to try get a wicket.

Gob

International Coach
Was drinking all day and did not see a ball

Was the rain helpful to Australia? 100 run last session even for 3 wickets today could have made the equation easier for tomorrow?

Either way an Ashes win since 01 looks far more plausible now than it was this time yesterday

loterry1994

International Debutant
Was drinking all day and did not see a ball

Was the rain helpful to Australia? 100 run last session even for 3 wickets today could have made the equation easier for tomorrow?

Either way an Ashes win since 01 looks far more plausible now than it was this time yesterday
the rain didn’t help aus I reckon. This opening partnership looked good for another 50-100 runs. England looked flat with the ball until Wood came on after the 30th over. But we’d been scoring runs easy especially off their spinners. Only thing it helps aus with is that the draw might come into play tommorow as well as the win

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Think if we’d been able to get back on today, the rain would have helped us, but as it is I think it slightly favours Australia. If we’d had two full days here a draw was never likely but Oz can try and shut up shop if we get on a roll tomorrow. That being said, don’t think that’s the forte of anyone below 5 in their side.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
the rain didn’t help aus I reckon. This opening partnership looked good for another 50-100 runs. England looked flat with the ball until Wood came on after the 30th over. But we’d been scoring runs easy especially off their spinners. Only thing it helps aus with is that the draw might come into play tommorow as well as the win
And Wood seemed a bit down on pace - closer to 140-144kph than 150kph+. Let's see but I think Australia have a chance tomorrow.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
David Warner played some exquisite shots today , especially when you consider the amount of pressure on him . I really liked his use of the late cut

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have a feeling Australia going to win the series now draw or win.

If where's same rain ☔ On day 5 Australia should play for a draw to win the series.

If not Australia good place to bat the day out or win if wickets don't fall.

Australia win would more clear view on state of test cricket as they are Currently best team.

The Best Team should always win which is Australia.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Btw I realise this is very much first world problems but this is like the second weekend day of the series that I’ve been home and able to watch all day because I’ve been here, there and everywhere lately. The other was the Sunday at Edgbaston and that got shortened too. This bloody country eh

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Btw I realise this is very much first world problems but this is like the second weekend day of the series that I’ve been home and able to watch all day because I’ve been here, there and everywhere lately. The other was the Sunday at Edgbaston and that got shortened too. This bloody country eh
It was going to rain regardless so don't feel too bad , you can only control the controllables

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Only 5 overs for Woakes and 3 for Wood?

What is the rational for that?
Nobody bowled more than 10 , the rational was that Root and Ali did get some turn , and with this being a day 4 pitch they probably thought spin would come into play hence 14 of the 38 was bowled by Root (9) and Ali (5)

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
England will realise fast after this series how much worse they are without broad.

England have 0 chance of winning next ashes mark my words Anderson won't be either.

Australia have better batting and bowling line up compared to England. its kind of Disappointing Australia let England get this close to winning the ashes with out dated batting and captaining.

I love pat Cummins but he Tactics are inconsistent and let's the game rift to much.

loterry1994

International Debutant
England will realise fast after this series how much worse they are without broad.

England have 0 chance of winning next ashes mark my words Anderson won't be either.

Australia have better batting and bowling line up compared to England. its kind of Disappointing Australia let England get this close to winning the ashes with out dated batting and captaining.

I love pat Cummins but he Tactics are inconsistent and let's the game rift to much.
Nah think they have move on from Broad and Anderson. Guys bowling low 130s on flat pitches in Australia isn’t going to work. Just look at the last 2 ashes series in Australia and the bowlers they’ve had down there, Australia declared plenty of times those 2 series . If they bring in guys like tongue, wood maybe even archer to Australia think that’s their best chance

for example indias series wins in Australia they had guys like bumrah, shami,natrajan, Siraj etc

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Very bad form on the Aussies part here. If they do a 50 to win with 7 wickets in hand and rain arrives to make it a draw...

Then England wont be holders of even the moral Ashes.
The moral Ashes was won long ago though…England was leading 4-0 there coming into the Oval. The Aussies are trying to avoid the moral sweep and get a consolation win.

Silver Silva

International Debutant

Warner, Khawaja , Smith , Lyon , Starc all are at the stage of their careers where they may either retire soon or their best days are behind them , its been well documented on CW that the next gen aren't as good as the seniors ..England on the other hand have some youthful talent that are playing a fearless brand of cricket .

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nah think they have move on from Broad and Anderson. Guys bowling low 130s on flat pitches in Australia isn’t going to work. Just look at the last 2 ashes series in Australia and the bowlers they’ve had down there, Australia declared plenty of times those 2 series . If they bring in guys like tongue, wood maybe even archer to Australia think that’s their best chance

for example indias series wins in Australia they had guys like bumrah, shami,natrajan, Siraj etc
Wood and Archer are both injury pone players can’t rely on them in ashes series honestly. We already seen Wood pace drop within one test. How is Wood two years older with all his injuries and lack of Stamina, going to go in Australia not Good. Don’t agree England are better without Broad or Anderson in Australia just because they have less pace.

In my opinion skill /Consistently>pace

The last ashes series England won in Australia Anderson picked up 24 wickets! Swan 15 wickets point being it was skill and Consistency that won in Australia not pace.

Long with cook..

Workes is would be more reliable than Wood in the next ashes in my opinion...

Tongue hasn't proven himself yet so will about him in the Future.

Anderson and Broad might not have the extra pace in Australia but I definitely take them over Wood or archer any day in Australia or anywhere.

Just because India win in Australia with their pace attack doesn't mean England suited to with injury pone players in mid 30s.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think if we’d been able to get back on today, the rain would have helped us, but as it is I think it slightly favours Australia. If we’d had two full days here a draw was never likely but Oz can try and shut up shop if we get on a roll tomorrow. That being said, don’t think that’s the forte of anyone below 5 in their side.
Mitch Marsh did ok in 2017 at Melbourne, from memory he faced nearly 150 balls for 20 or 30 runs at most, unbeaten to ensure the draw