• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

FBU

International Debutant
Rashid isn't that far off Moeen as a bat, but he also isn't that much better as a bowler. Both are pretty weird players. Probably number 7s with the bat and 5th bowlers which is not what we need with really.

I'd have been pretty ****ing angry if Jimmy played. Would have been a senior player running roughshod over the selectors for me, as clearly Anderson is the only person who thinks he should be playing. Edgbaston likely to be his last home Ashes test then.
It's up to the bowling coach and Bayliss if he played. Not anyone else. Not his being friends with the captain. Nothing to do with the selectors as they only pick the squad and not the team. He does what he is told as with the rest of the team. He was only 60-70% fit so why would he want to be playing?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Was thinking of going home for lunch to catch the last session but it will probably be over by then.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Darren Lehmann one year ago:

Boof's pitch to England curators | cricket.com.au

Australia coach Darren Lehmann has challenged England to produce the same green, seaming pitches they used to beat India when Australia visit next year. Lehmann was a keen observer of the lush pitches prepared during England's 3-1 series win over India, and is hoping his Mitchell Johnson and Ryan Harris lead bowling attack will be greeted by more of the same "sporting" decks next winter. “The wickets were quite sporting over there in the last couple of Test matches,” said Lehmann. “The Oval … I can’t remember that sort of wicket being produced for an Australian Test match in the last 50 or 60 years, so that’s interesting in itself. “From my point of view, I am looking for those sort of wickets next year.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Stunned to discover Lehmann talking like one of their worst fans as usual

It's like having Hooksey as the coach

hazsa19

International Regular
Hang on. In one breath you say that Rashid is just as good a bat as Moeen and then in the next you say that if they both play you want Moeen at 5 and Rashid stays at 8?

Rashid is definitely benefitting from the not being in the team overrating thing at the moment.
Poorly worded on my part. I think Rashid would be just as effective down the order, but Ali has the potential to play proper test match innings up the order.

And I'm not saying Rashid will be a world beater, but better than what we have (not hard tbf).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In 2005 & 2009 it was such a painful wait. Selection dilemmas both times filled the gap, but boy it was awful.

You get used to back to back tests these days as well so when you have the ten day period (elongated by the three day tests to twelve) it seems like FOREVER. Same after Lord's

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Retiring opener Chris Rogers suggested what England is doing is against the spirit of fair competition.
He did nothing of the sort

“It’s difficult. You only have to look at the past two Ashes series and the complete difference in the England wickets that have been prepared — and that is their prerogative,” said Rogers, who knows English conditions as well as anyone.

“England can do whatever they want and we can do whatever we want, but that’s the way it’s going to go.

“You’re going to tailor the conditions to help your side. It’s up to the other sides to adapt and get better.”
Shameful, shameful reporting.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke giving the impression that he's already checked out

Cant see this test ending well forus

social

There seems to be an inexplicably genuine belief among some Australians that their pitches are the only ones in the world that are not 'doctored'. As though hard, flat wickets just occur naturally like trees
Take a ****-load of soil from a river bed, roll it, add baking sun and voila - hard, flat deck

Spark

Global Moderator
Peter Lalor
@plalor
Word is they are playing Siddle. Low cloud green pitch bat second wicket. 60 might be a good score today.

hmmm...........

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Clarke giving the impression that he's already checked out

Cant see this test ending well forus
One thing I am surprised didn't get more attention was Clarke's reaction to losing the toss at TB. Not just his terse comments to Athers, but his whole body language and reaction when Cook put them in. At that point you knew Australia were going to struggle to make a decent score because the captain had no faith in them doing so first up.

I like Clarke so I'm not trying to be overly picky. But I think it was symptomatic of things coming to their natural cycle.

social

Yeah it's more the pitch news that I'm interested in.
No surprise that they have left the grass on #whychangeawinningformula?

Big difference here might be that the Oval is traditionally very hard and a green top with pace would be worse for England

Compton

International Debutant
One thing I am surprised didn't get more attention was Clarke's reaction to losing the toss at TB. Not just his terse comments to Athers, but his whole body language and reaction when Cook put them in. At that point you knew Australia were going to struggle to make a decent score because the captain had no faith in them doing so first up.

I like Clarke so I'm not trying to be overly picky. But I think it was symptomatic of things coming to their natural cycle.
Yeah I thought this as well. You hardly got the impression he was going to huddle the boys in and inspire them to bat through the day.

social

Australians can handle a loss but a big reason for the massive criticism of the team & Clarke has been the perception that the white flag was hoisted before a ball was bowled

Attitude seems to have been carried over to Northants and the lead up to this game

Seriously, wtf would an Australian captain come out and say that he was looking forward to retirement?

If that is what he is truly thinking then he should have flown home last week