• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If it’s deemed a success they might well expand the finals. The Euros started off with only 4 teams in the finals and then had two-legged quarter-finals before expanded to 8 teams in the finals in 1980 and gradually expanding further. Though whether Europe needs two major International tournaments is another matter.

cpr

International Coach
Big enough for the usual idiots to start smashing up pubs and getting into fights with the police abroad over, apparently.
Just think how the anti-trump protests would've gone down in London if the Ingurland lot were in the country

Name some successes you have expanded on LT.
If that was my question I'd have to answer 'waistline'

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The Netherlands taking yet the opposite view by starting van Dijk and Wijnaldum which is quite interesting.
And unlucky to be trailing at half time. It's hard to see why you wouldn't pick anyone simply because they played on Saturday, but I suppose Southgate usually knows what he's doing. Our midfield does look weak though, and I'd happily see Henderson replace Rice. It says something about Lingard's fall from favour is that he doesn't even start with all the absences tonight. I know the change in formation since last summer has something to do with that, but even so.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Oh just **** right off Stones. He's been threatening to do that all night, as has Walker. Where the **** do they get the idea it's a good idea to take on their opponent when they are the last defender?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stones was the one who fell asleep and let Mandzukic knock them out of the World Cup too. Just not a player you can trust.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, Barkley gifting them one was always on the cards too. The Dutch have been massively superior and deserve the win, but some of our play around our own goal has been laughable. Walker was lucky to get away it earlier too. it's all very well talking of being 'brave' in possession, but some basic footballing intelligence would be nice.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Stones was the one who fell asleep and let Mandzukic knock them out of the World Cup too. Just not a player you can trust.
I'd be happy never to see him in an England shirt again. There must be others who can do a better job.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's alright, but like UC alludes to, this is far from the first time he's been responsible for such a balls up.

cpr

International Coach
Only saw ET tonight, so only had half an hour of feeling like it's 93 again.

Meanwhile City appealing to CAS before UEFA have even investigated them is a bold move to say the least. Nothing says innocent more than firebombing anyone who even tries to look at potential guilt.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't like how under the offside rule as it's written, England's goal being ruled out was the correct decision. To me, the benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker and if there's part of your body level with the defender then that shouldn't be called

andmark

International Captain
FFS Sky, BT would've had the highlights up yesterday.

It is an interesting dilemma for teams wanting to play from the back. With such a philosophy, you surely need a tipping point where you judge that the situation is bad enough for defensive priorities with the ball to take over rather than insisting on trying to find a pass. But then how does a manager teach the players to judge when that time is? Perhaps when all passing lanes are covered, it's then time to hoof the ball out of harm's way?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
FFS Sky, BT would've had the highlights up yesterday.

It is an interesting dilemma for teams wanting to play from the back. With such a philosophy, you surely need a tipping point where you judge that the situation is bad enough for defensive priorities with the ball to take over rather than insisting on trying to find a pass. But then how does a manager teach the players to judge when that time is? Perhaps when all passing lanes are covered, it's then time to hoof the ball out of harm's way?
Arguably hoofing the ball puts it into harm's way as you're likely to be giving it to your opponent.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Being the last defender with no passing options available must surely be that tipping point. And even then you can pass to the keeper, who may have different angles available to pass to the full backs, or whoever. Nobody wants to see us routinely belting the ball up the park, but a bit of intelligence would be handy. City aren't exactly a long ball side, but there's reasons why Stones isn't a regular starter there. Basically he just isn't a very good defender. Many years ago, Rio Ferdinand had a similar reputation whilst a West Ham. Subsequently, playing under Graham at Leeds and of course Ferguson had the desired effect. He still played football, but we didn't get the ****-ups.

Last edited: