• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Then he became distracted and demented by the financial position and gaining control. His attempt to sell Xabi Alonso was a disaster -- not because Alonso was in sparkling form and it made no sense -- but because his return to form was achieved not by coaxing the best from him but by instilling a sense of resentment that made his departure inevitable.
lol.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I also love how he barely saw any of the transfer fee and was forced to gamble on Aquilani.
Yeah, poor old Rafa hey? I also found this bit particulary amusing.

They were wrong about everything: wrong about his transfer record, wrong about rotation, wrong about how often he rested Torres.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I also love how he barely saw any of the transfer fee and was forced to gamble on Aquilani.
Well, it's referring to the fact that we didn't pay Roma the full amount (19-20 mill) for Aquilani. In fact, it was something in the region of 5 million initially and it was going to be paid in several payments, instead of one, over the next few years. The 30 million that we got for Xabi practically went into the interest paid on debt.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Well, it's referring to the fact that we didn't pay Roma the full amount (19-20 mill) for Aquilani. In fact, it was something in the region of 5 million initially and it was going to be paid in several payments, instead of one, over the next few years.
Does it not just make you cry your still paying for a bag of ****, and will be for a long time

Hope we paid up front for Carrick......

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Very few transfer fees (in fact, most except the ones we play) are paid in one payment, nearly all are paid in several payments over 5 year periods. So yes, you're probably still paying for Carrick (and Anderson, and Nani, and Berbatov, and Veron, and Forlan :p)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Article loses a lot of credibility right there.
Heh no way we agreed a fee and terms only to pull out last minute.

Some stuff that's doing the rounds from Arsenal "in the knows"

-Chesney doesn't want to come back and sit on the bench next season but Arsenal want him to be playing at a higher level. Currently shopping him around to a whole heap of Championship clubs (preferably London based so he can come back and train with us a couple of days a week).
-Lansbury is seen as a genuine squad player for next season after Arsene liked what he'd seen on loan (apparently did well for Watford but their real star was United's Tom Cleverly)
-Almunia wasn't injured for the last few games of the season and is being shopped around Spain but he would prefer to stay in the Premiership.
-Gallas has already packed his bags and is being offered crazy money overseas. Adios ****o.

All in all pinch of salt/food for thought etc but I'd be on board with pretty much all of the above moves if they do happen. Just please buy keepers and defenders. Please, pretty please.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heard all bar the first one. Though for Almunia I didn't hear we were selling him, just Wenger wanted to give Flapianski a run. Also, apparently we offered Gallas a 2 year deal, going against our usual policy but he rejected it as it doesn't include a pay rise.

As for the link... Sport.co.uk are usually pretty good with Arsenal stuff, or so I read. For instance they were the first to get hold of the Vermaelen story.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Utterly dreadful article. It's almost as if Benitez didn't spend £40m in the summer and hasn't wasted almost £200m to build a team that fails to win over half their games in an attempt to finish 7th.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes, Liverpool's disastrous performance on the pitch is down to one man and one man only.
Because he actually didn't spend that much in the transfer window. Also the Johnson transfer had an amount (7-10 mill IIRC) that Pompey owed us for Crouch. Thankfully, we got it before they've gone bust.

And he hasn't wasted 200m. If he has spent that much on players where are they then? We haven't lost much through any player's sales and we probably have the 5th/6th most expensive squad in the league. This is the utter tripe that gets perpetuated constantly with people not having a clue how that money was spent or just how much of that was gained through his own player sales. I am against Benitez for many reasons but his dealing with transfer money and players is commendable.

What isn't commendable is his man management. I have faith in Benitez to create a good squad, I do not have faith in him to consistently get the best out of them or encourage them to perform above themselves.

The same squad bar Alonso and Arbeloa got 2nd last year. Pretending as if the squad is crap is disingenuous. I personally think we lack depth but our first XI (on form, ehem) is on par with any team in the world.

Does it not just make you cry your still paying for a bag of ****, and will be for a long time

Hope we paid up front for Carrick......
Aquilani is a very good player. He's just a very injury prone player.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Steve McClaren has been appointed the new boss of Wolfsburg. So we can except him to an interview to appear on youtube with McClaren speaking with a German accent then.

Craig

World Traveller
Argentina's 30 man provisional 30 man WC squad:

Argentina squad: Sergio Romero (Az Alkmaar), Mariano Andujar (Palermo), Diego Pozo (Colon); Nicolas Otamendi (Velez Sarfield), Martin Demichelis (Bayern Munich), Walter Samuel (Roma), Gabriel Heinze (Olympique Marseille), Nicolas Burdisso (Roma), Clemente Rodriguez (Estudiantes), Juan Manuel Insaurralde (Newell's Old Boys), Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle), Ariel Garce (Colon Santa Fè); Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Juan Sebastian Veron (Estudiantes), Angel Di Maria (Benfica), Juan Mercier (Argentinos Juniors), Javier Pastore (Palermo), Mario Bolatti (Fiorentina), Josè Sosa (Bayern Munich), Maximiliano Rodriguez (Liverpool), Jesus Datolo (Olympiakos), Sebastian Blanco (Lanus); Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid), Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors), Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid), Diego Milito (Inter), Carlos Tevez (Manchester City), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli)

Crazy depth up front, and that is without Mauro Zarate as well. Interesting that Maradona picks two guys who have spent the season in the Championship and Veron who is in his mid 30's, but leaves out Cambiasso and Zanetti. ITSTL.