• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Missed this earlier but agree completely. No work rate, no speed, no power, no creativity. Never has a player personified "meh" as well as he has. ****ing Diaby offers us more right now, which is saying something in itself. He's infuriatingly timid and mediocre and he resorts to bailout dives when he is a fanny on the ball so often I'm surprised he hasn't earnt himself a reputation for it.

Probably not going to start on Almunia. Punching the ball is fine but punch it towards the ****ing sidelines for god's sake. Wojciech Szczesny who is doing really well on loan is probably a less mistake prone keeper but ideally we'd buy one in January as our top priority.
Haha unless Almunia becomes even worse I doubt Wenger will even consider buying a new keeper in the summer tbh, Almunia seems to be able to hide at the back of the team with all the media attention going on "the lack of tall/physical players in midfield/up front". That said, even if Wenger does suddenly realise that ALmunia is rubbish it'll probably just mean Fabianski will be shunted in for his stint and the whole process will be repeated.

Edit: And yes, as for Denilson, I'm just completely unsure as to what he actually does, or at least what he is supposed to be doing. At least Diaby has a bit of extra height and so has a greater chance of sometimes actually contesting the ball in the air, and offers slightly more physical presence, tenuous claim as that may be.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He single-handedly lost you the game to United at the start of the season, went a long way to losing you the Chelsea game and landed you in **** here against Liverpool. If nothing else it should be a concern for the Champions League how often he ballses up in big games.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Being forced to do some corporate entertaining at Old Trafford tomorrow night, casting around to see if i can find a Wolves scarf from anywhere but no luck so far.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that Carragher shouldn't be considered for England duties anymore but the way you act as if he's League 2 standard or something has become somewhat tedious
Carragher still a way better than Lescott, Jaigelka & Upson (slightly). The main reason i think he should be considered is because of Rio's recent injury woes, King/Woodgate continuing to be crocked & if the unthinkable happens & Terry catches & injury on the eve of WC or something.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't get me wrong aussie, I wouldn't be hugely against it, I just don't think he's quite what he used to be. rose's opinions on him are laughable at best though.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't fully explain how much I love Arshavin, barely trained all week dure to an injured foot and then rattles in a goal like that yesterday. Full of so much :wub: I can't be bothered to rage at the likes of Denilson and Almunia.
Just feel the :wub: for Andrey IMO.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't get me wrong aussie, I wouldn't be hugely against it, I just don't think he's quite what he used to be. rose's opinions on him are laughable at best though.
oh oh well fair enough. Well i dont know how yardman feels about Carragher totally. But if as you said, he is behaving like if Jamie is suddenly League 2 standard. Thats way OTT..

Jarquis

Did anyone watch MOTD2 last night? Am I the only one who thought Alan Hansen was on crack when he suggested that Fabregas deserved to be sent off for the clash with Mascherano (when Masch was booked)?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Indeed

Fell asleep just after the Arshavin goal, which was rather spectacular. If Torres stays fit long enough to win games against lower quality opposition by himself, there's a chance of a top 4 finish, but apart from that, team looks a lost cause. Thought Johnson was rubbish all game as well, made 1 decent run forward but did little else of note. If he learnt to defend it might help y'know.
Tony Cascarino concurs. From today's Times:

I’m fed up of hearing how good he is going forward when he can’t do his main job properly, which is to defend. He makes mistakes and gets in poor positions. It’s got to the point where I think Liverpool should move him to right midfield and buy a steady and unspectacular full back in January.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

I’m fed up of hearing how good he is going forward when he can’t do his main job properly, which is to defend. He makes mistakes and gets in poor positions. It’s got to the point where I think Liverpool should move him to right midfield and buy a steady and unspectacular full back in January.
Alvaro Arbeloa anyone?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I agree that Carragher shouldn't be considered for England duties anymore but the way you act as if he's League 2 standard or something has become somewhat tedious
Oh nah he's definitely not League 2 but no way should he or Campbell be considered for England.

cpr

International Coach
Campbell no, but Carragher...... well if no one else can stay fit, and no one else is performing, why not. Not seen enough of him to comment on his form at the moment, but he has the skill to do it, just depends if he's showing it at the moment....

Johnners

Missed this before, but would it work? Is he a better option as a right midfielder/winger than Kuyt or Yossi? (Genuine question, it's not something I've ever thought about)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Campbell no, but Carragher...... well if no one else can stay fit, and no one else is performing, why not. Not seen enough of him to comment on his form at the moment, but he has the skill to do it, just depends if he's showing it at the moment....
He;s not but then again could be attributed to Liverpool's shoddy form this season. Gerrard not been firing but he's been injured TBF.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He;s not but then again could be attributed to Liverpool's shoddy form this season. Gerrard not been firing but he's been injured TBF.
Carragher's direness this year has been a major cause of their shoddy form IMO. Their defence is a shadow of last season's.

Johnners

16 Conclusions From Liverpool v Arsenal

* The Liverpool goal was offside. As Dirk Kuyt struck the ball, with Manuel Almunia busy further up the field perfecting his impression of a drowning man, William Gallas effectively assumed the position of goalkeeper and was the only player between Lucas and the goal. The Frenchman's view was blocked by Lucas which thus made him active in an offside position. Indeed, Gallas only missed the ball because he runs around Lucas for an unobstructed view.
I assume the F365 guys should know what they're on about, but just to confirm with someone who knows the rulebook properly, is the above correct? Sounds a little strange if that is the case 'tis all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes, the rules state there should be two men between the goal and the attacker for the attacker to be onside, it makes no reference to whether one of these men is a goalkeeper

I've worded that badly but hopefully it makes sense