• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

King Kane

International Debutant
There it is 34 tons for Root.

"How does he make batting look so easy".

Batting against a tired mediocre Sri Lankan bowling attack helps.

Take nothing away from him though, it's still a great achievement.

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
Incredible Joe Root.

He was the embarrassment of the 'Big 4' some years ago lagging waaaay behind with about 17 centuries or so and the others way ahead.

Now he's struck his 34th ton... twin tons for the match.

*Most runs at Lords- Beats Gooch
*Most centuries by an English batsman- Beats Cook's 33
*Most centuries at Lords- 7 .. Beats Gooch & Vaughan.

He already holds the most centuries hit against India in a test match- 10.

And more centuries to come...

kevinw

International 12th Man
Root averages more than 40 against all test nations besides Ireland and Bangladesh, and those are based on tiny sample sizes (two tests apiece). Phenomenal record - the best England better since....Barrington?

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
I just checked and that's only the 4th time a batsman has hit twin tons in a test at Lords after all those & matches played over the years at this ground.

1.George Headley
2.Graham Gooch
3.Michael Vaughan
4.Joe Root

.... Vaughan was the last to do it in July 2004 so it was a nice 20 year wait.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
What a player, Root!

In my opinion, he is in the same league as Ponting and Kallis.

Ponting was poor in India, Root average in Aus but everywhere else both were excellent in Test cricket. Both aggressive players and match winners with wide range of shots.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
This reminds me of watching Root at the nets. It was Eng vs SA at old trafford. I dont remember which day as it was probably around two years ago or so. Went there early and walked towards the back of the stadium where they were having net drills. Stood right behind where Root was practicing. The power of concentration on his face to just throw downs was immense. It was like a ritual for him. No wonder he makes batting look easy in the middle.

IMG_0034.jpeg

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
A strange old innings, in terms of the match situation it mattered little, but with the way everyone was getting out I was getting a little worried that Root would run out of partners! The best England batter in my lifetime, when will we see another Joe Root?

King Kane

International Debutant
Sky playing some Hot Chip, respect.

They've got everyone else out for nowt
That says more about how bad the rest of the England batsmen have been rather than how great Root is.

Root is just filling his boots like every good test batsman should be in this situation, good test batsmen are hard to find these days though..

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
Sky playing some Hot Chip, respect.

That says more about how bad the rest of the England batsmen have been rather than how great Root is.

Root is just filling his boots like every good test batsman should be in this situation, good test batsmen are hard to find these days though..
Before this test match started Root & Williamson had shared 32 centuries apiece.

Number of innings played: Williamson- 176
Root- 263

.. That's 97 innings less.. God knows how many centuries Kane would've had if he bats for that many.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
There it is 34 tons for Root.

Batting against a tired mediocre Sri Lankan bowling attack helps.

Take nothing away from him though, it's still a great achievement.
Asitha Fernando is very good, Kumara was looking threatening for a while, Rathnayake and Vishwa Fernando are a bit dibbly-dobbler