• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I read that Sam Curran is the only left-arm bowler to play a Test for England since Sidebottom, and I can’t remember who England’s last bowler of comparable height was, so I think it’s fair to say ‘point of difference’ hasn’t always been high on the agenda!
Alan Mullaly is the last of a similar height I can think of but that's over 25 years ago. He wasn't that quick either.

flibbertyjibber

The thing I like the most about the Stokes era is the team is announced a day or two in advance. Don't have to wait for the toss.
It's almost a good arrogance, this is us and its up to you to beat us. Plus it will help settle younger players knowing they are in or not.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Kinda a patchwork England side with a makeshift opening bat, stand in captain, balance skewed due to missing our batting all-rounder and one of our senior bowlers out injured. And it feels doubly so since the side already had three rookies (albeit promising ones) in Smith, Atkinson and Bashir. If Sri Lanka play well they've got a shot.

Molehill

International Captain
A sunny day at Lord's and SL opt to bowl first. Not sure that's the obvious choice (Pope confirms England would've batted).

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't get the logic of bowling first myself. However, England are just as likely to be 45-3 at midday as 72-1 so we'll see!

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
A sunny day at Lord's and SL opt to bowl first. Not sure that's the obvious choice (Pope confirms England would've batted).
Just to continue on the Kennington by Galle theme, bowl first, then get a big lead and allow the spinner to finish the job. That said, Lord's rarely offers big spin later in the game.

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love for him to prove me wrong but why is Kumara ahead of Rajitha in the pecking order? Yeah he has pace but I've seen way too many Tests were he just goes the distance or gets a niggle.
He's probably the better bowler in this format, but yeah, his fitness is a concern.

Molehill

International Captain
Just to continue on the Kennington by Galle theme, bowl first, then get a big lead and allow the spinner to finish the job. That said, Lord's rarely offers big spin later in the game.
Likely to be of more impact is the cloud cover around over the weekend. Think I'd like to be batting today in this sunsheeeeine....

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can someone tell me that DDS didn't say he chose to bowl because "There is always swing in the first hour". That kind of logic with not looking at what's actually going on on the day rubs me up the wrong way.

Nora

Cricket Spectator
sri lanka could have done a brave baz-esuqe selection and picked mahesh theekshana, he looks pretty good.
should be a thrashing as windies are a stronger team.

vishwa and rajitha are decent seamers on their day,

the batting maybe on par with windies
Picking Theekshana could have been a bold move. I agree that Vishwa and Rajitha can be effective on their day

Silver Silva

International Debutant
sri lanka could have done a brave baz-esuqe selection and picked mahesh theekshana, he looks pretty good.
should be a thrashing as windies are a stronger team.

vishwa and rajitha are decent seamers on their day,

the batting maybe on par with windies
Mathews has the same number of Test hundreds as the entire West Indies squad that toured England, would kill for their fast bowlers though !

flibbertyjibber

Eh it's pretty common for sides to be announced ahead of time these days. Hardly a Stokes-specific thing.
I was meaning an arrogance in this is us you deal with it is coming in a lot more. I worded it badly. Most sides are announced a day before, 48 hours seems a little early.

Good toss to lose. Though we'd have surely batted anyway. Showing no faith in his top order on a sunny day on a flat surface is poor though

Molehill

International Captain
Lawrence not exactly putting any pressure on Crawley's spot. A sunny day at Lord's and he can't take advantage.