• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
Some of the shots played at the other end while Root batting were truly terrible. After his wonderful 100 in the 1st, Gus got out to some crazy reverse tennis smash, i know they were in a hurry, but could they not have just pushed the singles to give root the strike?

since start of 2021

Root 48test, 88 innings, 8 no, 4554 runs, av 56.92, 17x100, 15x50,, 76 ct
hes also taken 40 wkts during that time.
Can’t really blame anyone for getting out the way they did, although I would have liked to have seen Lawrence and Pope bat for themselves as they more than anyone need the runs. Was getting a bit worried that he’d run out of partners, but hey, all’s well that ends well!

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Some of the shots played at the other end while Root batting were truly terrible. After his wonderful 100 in the 1st, Gus got out to some crazy reverse tennis smash, i know they were in a hurry, but could they not have just pushed the singles to give root the strike?

since start of 2021

Root 48test, 88 innings, 8 no, 4554 runs, av 56.92, 17x100, 15x50,, 76 ct
hes also taken 40 wkts during that time.
I was at Lord’s yesterday. There was a prevailing air that the game was already settled and so what England did in their second innings didn’t really matter. The only tension in the crowd was when Root approached his century. Perhaps this feeling pervaded the dressing room as well. The shot selection suggested that it did. I would venture that this is not the mindset of champion teams.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
I was at Lord’s yesterday. There was a prevailing air that the game was already settled and so what England did in their second innings didn’t really matter. The only tension in the crowd was when Root approached his century. Perhaps this feeling pervaded the dressing room as well. The shot selection suggested that it did. I would venture that this is not the mindset of champion teams.
I dunno, the worst excesses of Bazball have been curbed this summer, if ever there were a time to give the players license to have fun, this was it

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I dunno, the worst excesses of Bazball have been curbed this summer, if ever there were a time to give the players license to have fun, this was it
The disappointing element was Duckett and Pope failing for me. Serious questions need to be asked about the latter in particular. His defensive technique has been found seriously wanting. I have watched him for a long time and it is infuriating to see him struggle like this against far from the most challenging attack.

Very glad to see Root go past Cook’s century tally.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
The disappointing element was Duckett and Pope failing for me. Serious questions need to be asked about the latter in particular. His defensive technique has been found seriously wanting. I have watched him for a long time and it is infuriating to see him struggle like this against far from the most challenging attack.

Very glad to see Root go past Cook’s century tally.
Was very disappointed with Duckett’s dismissal in the first innings, he put us under a bit of pressure when conditions were at their best for batting, second innings he made his start and had license to go swinging really. You can say what you like about Pope’s stats when he lasts 20 balls, but he never looked comfortable yesterday. I get he’s captain so he’s staying until the end of this series, and he did hit a century and 2 50s against the Windies, but if he carries on in this kind of form, how long does he stay in the side? We’ve got 6 Tests against Pakistan and New Zealand this winter, then it’s Zimbabwe and a biggie against India

Howe_zat

Audio File
Official hours of play according to cricinfo

Morning 1100-1315

Afternoon 1355-1610

Evening 1630-1830, plus the extra half hour if light allows

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We are abysmal with reviews. Not a criticism of the keeper but Bairstow was very good at saying when it was a bad one and having a keeper who you can trust on them is vital. Hopefully Smith gets more vocal the more he plays.

King Kane

International Debutant
We are abysmal with reviews. Not a criticism of the keeper but Bairstow was very good at saying when it was a bad one and having a keeper who you can trust on them is vital. Hopefully Smith gets more vocal the more he plays.
It's hard for a new keeper to overrule the older players but a keeper should be one of the best judges of whether an lbw is out or not.

You certainly can't rely on the bowler, they want to review everything to try and get a wicket.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's hard for a new keeper to overrule the older players but a keeper should be one of the best judges of whether an lbw is out or not.

You certainly can't rely on the bowler, they want to review everything to try and get a wicket.
New kid on the block though may not feel comfortable yet against the senior men. Will come with time and experience but hard right now. As I said I am not blaming him as I can see it must be awkward for him.

King Kane

International Debutant
It's rare to see Lord's so empty for a test match on a Sunday, cricket fans there don't have much faith in Sri Lanka lasting long enough to bother going.

Hopefully they can last long enough for at least a couple of sessions but given their batting form so far they could collapse and be all out by lunch.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's rare to see Lord's so empty for a test match on a Sunday, cricket fans there don't have much faith in Sri Lanka lasting long enough to bother going.

Hopefully they can last long enough for at least a couple of sessions but given their batting form so far they could collapse and be all out by lunch.
It's just stupidly expensive. Lord's is up its own backside.