• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

Molehill

International Captain
I'm not going to criticise the manner of England's likely defeat. The batsmen either got out playing their usual game, or were undone by some seriously decent seam bowling yesterday afternoon.

But if England really wanted to win this game, and gave any iota of care for the WTC, then frankly, a 20 year old seamer averaging about 80 from 9 FC games would be nowhere near this team. I know they're looking ahead at potential Ashes bowlers, but do you need a Test Match to have a proper look at someone? Hull looks a long way from the finished article, to the extent where it's hard to see him touring Aus next year.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Excellent batting this. Not high risk like ours, just putting away crap balls of which there have been plenty.
I actually thought for the most part, that England had batted much more sensibly, earlier in this series, still scoring quickly enough playing conventionally, but it should be said that for the most part it was Root doing his thing. However, that is not the case this match and it has been telling that no-one has really been able to stand up, apart from Smith when Root has failed.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I'm not going to criticise the manner of England's likely defeat. The batsmen either got out playing their usual game, or were undone by some seriously decent seam bowling yesterday afternoon.

But if England really wanted to win this game, and gave any iota of care for the WTC, then frankly, a 20 year old seamer averaging about 80 from 9 FC games would be nowhere near this team. I know they're looking ahead at potential Ashes bowlers, but do you need a Test Match to have a proper look at someone? Hull looks a long way from the finished article, to the extent where it's hard to see him touring Aus next year.
Hull has outbowled Atkinson in this test by miles

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
England batsmen this home summer:
1725866153448.png

Opposition batsmen in those same games:
1725866267800.png

Root's obviously a class above, but I don't think you can be overly upset with anyone who's gonna be a full strength regular in the ashes given how the opposition bats have gone bar kamindu (crawley had 4 innings and had an unlucky runout + a very unlucky dismissal in there).

Even if they lose this test england have gone 5-1 and have learned a few valuable things from it (lawrence is not a backup opener, woakes isn't good enough to slot in as a stokes replacement at home like he was in 2021).

Silver Silva

International Debutant
He was clearly ripe for a rest (as plenty mentioned before the start), and if it wasn't his home ground, almost certainly would've been.
Yeah but Hull got 3/53 which is very good for a Debut , could have been a 5fer if England didn't drop catches off his bowling and in the current innings Nissanka is punishing everybody

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah but Hull got 3/53 which is very good for a Debut , could have been a 5fer if England didn't drop catches off his bowling and in the current innings Nissanka is punishing everybody
Although, perhaps the key moment in the game was when Hull dropped the sitter off Bashir's bowling. England probably end up with more than a 100 run lead if that is taken.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And our tail got out slogging in the 4th innings - Boult out at 3rd man trying to ramp a 6 with less than 10 overs left on day 5.
This showed up in my youtube feed this evening -

The shots from Brendon down in the first innings, and the tail with BJ on 50 odd...yuck. Two typical Tim Southee 'I don't care much' shots. Then Trent's horror show. Awful.

danzydab

U19 Debutant
Im sensing a match winning spell from Josh Hull.

Also this series has shown just how important Crawley and Stokes are to the batting. England looks so much weaker without them.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain

Also this series has shown just how important Crawley and Stokes are to the batting. England looks so much weaker without them.
Oh they are definitely weaker. The balance also looks shot both with the batting lineup and bowling. I have probably said it a few times, but they need to have a bit more of a look at the batting talents in a similar way that they are identifying young bowlers. I know Lawrence has been stuffed by being sent to open, but even so, I find it hard to believe he'd greatly improve his numbers if he batted at 5 or 6.

Silver Silva

International Debutant

Also England used to have a much stronger tail Leach , Robinson..Wood was a Great no.10 ..

Having Woakes at 7. Then Hull & Bashir at 10 & 11 increases probability of big collapses

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Also England used to have a much stronger tail Leach , Robinson..Wood was a Great no.10 ..

Having Woakes at 7. Then Hull & Bashir at 10 & 11 increases probability of big collapses
Woakes is never gonna bat at 7 again, or atleast shouldn't. He's not the #7 who made runs against pak in 2019, he's a #8 who's good for a 30 odd and the very occasional 50 nowadays.

King Kane

International Debutant
Surely Sri Lanka should be able to win this test from here, 125 runs with 9 wickets in hand on a 4th day pitch should be a walk in the park for them.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
We bowled like a team who'd only had 34 overs rest yesterday.

So will be hard to see us winning this.

Last edited: