• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's bound to be helpful for the selectors
It's all in order to find out who will come in to replace Flintoff.
If Bopara makes a ton and then takes a 5fer he'd be the ideal candidate.
If he fails then I personally would like to see Sidebottom come in as we are going to miss Flintoff's ability with the ball much more than the bat, as demonstrated by the fact we make 500+ when he gets a duck but can only take 9 wickets on a day 4/5 pitch when he can't bowl at 100%. There is no doubt in my mind we would have won that test had Flintoff been fully fit on that final day.
We need 5 bowlers much more than we need the extra batting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bopara's bowling isn't likely to be a factor in his selection and Collingwood's a better (and very similar) bowler than him anyway.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IIRC from the Sri Lanka series last year Bopara's bowling was generally preferred ahead of Collingwood's similar story in the One Dayer's as well?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's because when you're in a foreign country being mistaken for an Irishman as opposed to an Englishman means getting a discount at a restaurant.
Only ever been in a foreign country once in my life (after the age of 1 that is) TBH. And I was only 13 then anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really in OD cricket, even though Bopara is a good part time OD bowler for Essex...
Your avatar does avoid the filter TBH - I'd either take it down or modify it very slightly if I were you, else you'll probably get a ticking-off.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Thing is, even with the subsidy from the ECB, the counties still try to make money through the gates, and relegation plays a role in the competition....

Nothing will happen to the Leewards if they win or lose their games. Their fans are more interested in their players putting in good performances, so that they can get selected to the West Indies team. So, the Leewards really have very little to gain in playing Robbie Joseph, if his future's committed to England.

Apparently, the Kolpaks present a different problem for the WI. Even though Wavell HInds, Pedro Collins, and a couple of others (Omari Banks and Corey Collymore?) have retired from WI cricket, they are still playing regional cricket. And then there is Tino Best, who played for the ICL, and is apparently not eligible to play for the WI....
Once you go kolblack you never go back!

Seriously, Wavell has been making runs in the domestic season, but ineligible and Collins would walk in to the team right now if not for him going kolpack so... yeah it's effecting us, but only really with Pedro...

Btw, I think that pride plays quite a big part in these competitions, when playing for the West Indies the players playing for different islands are generally fine... but I remember seeing a couple years ago, back when Ganga was in the Windies side along with Sarwan, and Trinidad were playing Guyana, in the OD comp, and Ganga and Sarwan just had a full blown argument out on the field, shouting and pointing and everything. Pride and one-upmanship plays a role and islands look for any advantage they can get...

Having said that I would rather see home grown talent as opposed to players who are inelligible for the Windies, but thats life, for a lot of FC competition for test playing countries they have players who can't actually play for that test playing nation, e.g. in England and NZ.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Once you go kolblack you never go back!
Not neccessarily. Kolpak players have only forsaken their home lands for as long as the contract they've used their Kolpak status to be eligable for lasts. Hinds and Collins could perfectly well play for West Indies again once their contracts at Derbyshire and Surrey are up - which given Collins was unable to conquer The Oval's piece of concrete runway last season and that Hinds hardly set Derby alight might not be far away. Trouble is, both are in their early-30s already and thus it's probably a now or never matter.

I also wish someone would pick Chris Jordan in some West Indian rep team to force him to make the choice, as right now he's 100% legitimately qualified for both England and West Indies.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Not neccessarily. Kolpak players have only forsaken their home lands for as long as the contract they've used their Kolpak status to be eligable for lasts. Hinds and Collins could perfectly well play for West Indies again once their contracts at Derbyshire and Surrey are up - which given Collins was unable to conquer The Oval's piece of concrete runway last season and that Hinds hardly set Derby alight might not be far away. Trouble is, both are in their early-30s already and thus it's probably a now or never matter.

I also wish someone would pick Chris Jordan in some West Indian rep team to force him to make the choice, as right now he's 100% legitimately qualified for both England and West Indies.
Think Collins contract runs out the end of the next county season, but for the Windies sake, I hope we can find someone better than him by that time, though that doesn't seem all that likely unless Roach develops quickly...

Yeah there's been noise re. the Jordan issue made on here before, personally, don't see why he can't just play for Barbados, currently England doing a lot more than the Windies in trying to get him to sign for them, I know they threw him in some sort of performance programme thing...

Right now, though, he's 20 and not that good, needs to develop his batting... and his bowling which is his stronger suit probobly is still < Bravo's bowling. It's up to him in the end, has spoken up in the past and said he wants to play for the Windies which is good, but we shouldn't keep players who know they are going to play for the squad and who need that valuable experience for someone who in the end might just play for England...

Ultimately it wouldn't be that huge a loss for the Windies and there's still plenty of time before he becomes good enough to play for the Windies...