• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So far today Broad has bowled 7 overs for 4. Not the first time this series that he's been diabolical on the first day he's bowled and much better on the second.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
All in all I think it's fair to say Broad has come in leaps and bounds with the ball in this series, figures might not be anything out of the ordinary but there has been such improvement. Against the Saffies last summer, when he had the ball i would be thinking "no wicket this over" but not anymore

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So? Any bowler who has a clue what he's doing (and what the batsman is doing) should set his own field. You don't have to be SF Barnes or Murali to know how you want to bowl.

The captain is there to get the best out of the team. Denying the bowler the field he wants emphatically does not do that.
Disagree; some bowlers will have visions of grandeur and starting doing all kinds of silly ****. Shaun Pollock is one bowler especially under Graeme Smith who bowled to his captain's fields.

ozone

First Class Debutant
It varies from bowler to bowler IMO. Swann is someone who I think knows his game well enough to set his own fields whereas, say, Monty, doesn't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Disagree; some bowlers will have visions of grandeur and starting doing all kinds of silly ****. Shaun Pollock is one bowler especially under Graeme Smith who bowled to his captain's fields.
Is the captain bowling? No. If he wants to set the field completely, he can damn well take the ball.

The captain can, by all means, tell the bowler that he wants to bowl to a certain plan and give him instruction on both how he wants to bowl and where the field will be. Once you're leaving bowling to the bowler though, you leave field-setting to him as well. Unless he just doesn't have a clue.

And oh dear at Gayle getting a century and being injured. And, of course, beware the injured Chanderpaul.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It varies from bowler to bowler IMO. Swann is someone who I think knows his game well enough to set his own fields whereas, say, Monty, doesn't.
One of the first things Strauss said about MSP, back in 2006, was that he was a dream to captain, always knowing the fields he wanted.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I think Simmons has played beautifully so far. Of course, it's relatively easy playing beautifully over 50-odd deliveries, but he's at least done that, which is more than Xavier Marshall ever has and more than either Devon Smith or Ryan Hinds have for a long time.
Not true TBH.

ozone

First Class Debutant
One of the first things Strauss said about MSP, back in 2006, was that he was a dream to captain, always knowing the fields he wanted.
Dare I say, if you believe that you'll believe anything. It was particularly obvious towards the end of Vaughans captaincy that Panesar didn't seem to be contributing much towards his field. It was one of the many criticisms being leveled at him before he was dropped. Whether it is still true to such an extent I don't know, but it was obvious that Panesar didn't have as much of an input in changing his fields as someone such as Swann.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd almost feel sorry for Windies if we managed the win through having to take just sixteen wickets (say if Chanderpaul's injury gets worse) but after that Barbados pitch and their abysmal tactics in the field in this game I really won't :ph34r:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea cricinfo says Gayle has torn his right hamstring.

Still it's not really going to affect his foot movement now is it?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
All in all I think it's fair to say Broad has come in leaps and bounds with the ball in this series, figures might not be anything out of the ordinary but there has been such improvement. Against the Saffies last summer, when he had the ball i would be thinking "no wicket this over" but not anymore
He must have better figures for this series than any of our other quicks.