• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flintoff in for Bell and that's as good an XI as one can hope for. I wouldn't complain about Panesar's inclusion though, the Windies have been shocking against him.

FBU

International Debutant
All the media have got the impression from Flower that it is a straight bowl out between Harmison and Anderson and that Broad will definitely play in the 1st Test as well as Sidebottom, who doesn't have to do anything but still be standing at the end of the warm up match.

Uppercut

All the media have got the impression from Flower that it is a straight bowl out between Harmison and Anderson and that Broad will definitely play in the 1st Test as well as Sidebottom, who doesn't have to do anything but still be standing at the end of the warm up match.
And rightly so.

Uppercut

According to David Lloyd this morning,

The information I've received is that the team that starts Thursday's warm-up match will be the Test team - or as near as they can given the fitness worries over Andrew Flintoff.
So if that's true, no Panesar and no Broad.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
WI 'A' 108 for one at lunch. Barath on 44, Simmons (who I'm sure Uppercut would name a joke-batsman) likewise.

Chattergoon not opening either... :wacko:

West Indies 'A':

K Powell (Nevis, 18yo) - made 14
Barath
Simmons
Chattergoon
Sammy
+Thomas (Antigua, 19yo)
E Powell (quick, St Kitts, 27yo, 5 FC games...wtf?!)
Jaggernauth
McClean (quick, Barbados, 21yo)
Wallace (leg break, Jamaica, 24yo)
Bess (quick, Guyana, 21yo)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
155-1 now, both Barath and Simmons going well.

Cue more calls on Caribbean Cricket for him in the test side...

Sidebottom only bowled sparingly....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Glad that Powell and Barath haven't been batted out of position on account of Chattergoon tbh. In fairness he replaced a middle order batsman in the squad.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Well done WI 'A' guys, hopefully Sidebottom isn't that fit, musn't be that fit if openers doing well, though Barath is a decent player.

Couldn't be bothered to quote stuff but Mr M compared Edwards to Anderson, don't really think so tbh, both reverse swing it sparingly,(btw Bravo and Taylor I think are the 2 best reverse swingers there are in the series though Bravo aint playing) but Anderson is super super effective when it's swinging and tbh all Edwards is when it's swinging is expensive, he gets it wrong more times than right when it's swinging, Edwards has developed some good accuracy and the pace he has makes him more likely than most bowlers on show to pick up wickets when the ball isn't swinging.

Also, btw Powell is being slightly underestimated, still the third best fast bowler in the Caribbean and does have the odd good ball and spell, granted, clutching at straws with the guy but all I'm saying is he is not an ultimately dire player, just dire most of the time, you can count on around 4 or 5 good overs an innings from him though.

Panesar is a must to play, always found that Windies batsmen always play for more turn than there is, did it so much against Patel and Vettel, not sure if this just me though. As said before, Panesar is brilliant at picking up averege batsmen and thats exactly what WI batsmen are at spin discounting big 3 and maybe Nash, though not sure. Would also like Swann in England team tbh think two spinners is more likely to do better than one and a mediocre pace men whether that be Harmy or Broad.

Hopefully WI 'A' will bat for really long... tire out England's bowlers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

And I mentioned reverse swing...when?

Edwards has always been a dangerous bowler when the ball swings. He hasn't always been effective, but that has nothing to do with the ball swinging.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Panesar's case being strengthened by his absence. Would be surprised if Broad's selection is a given. Expect him to be the man left out in favour of a trio consisting of Anderson, Harmison and Sidebottom.

sammy2

Banned
Well well well.

I don't know, but this doesn't indicate anything good for england.

WI A might collapse in the end, but this partnership is showing some weakness.