• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

ozone

First Class Debutant
Then why would you pick him in the other Tests in the first place?

Everyone with a brain knows he needs overs under his belt and that's why he's not bowled well in the past, in this series he's done fine on pitches that didn't help him.

A match-ready Harmison is easily good enough to make the first XI. If he's fit he should be playing, end of story.
Wouldn't have picked him to start TBH. The overs under his belt thing is fair enough, but using the fact that he's been bowling on pitches that haven't helped kind-of makes his dropping more acceptable, in that this pitch is going to be similar to the ARG pitch so one must assume he won't perform on this type of surface again.

Another possible reason is the fact that we've now got a four man attack in this test. Therefore, could understand the logic that Sidebottom is the safe bet in that even if he doesn't pick up wickets, he will keep it tight.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another possible reason is the fact that we've now got a four man attack in this test. Therefore, could understand the logic that Sidebottom is the safe bet in that he's far, far, faaaaaaar better than Harmison.
Fixed.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss riding his luck here ..

CMJ on TMS is such as arse sometimes. We all know that Strauss fits his idea of an England captain, but his comment that Strauss "unquestionably" bats better when captain simply because he's made runs in a couple of innings against WI is as daft as they come.

Uppercut

That was such a Strauss '07 dismissal that wasn't. Full outside off, half-hearted drive with zero foot movement, edged and taken except not taken.

pskov

International 12th Man

CMJ on TMS is such as arse sometimes. We all know that Strauss fits his idea of an England captain, but his comment that Strauss "unquestionably" bats better when captain simply because he's made runs in a couple of innings against WI is as daft as they come.
He also made three centuries against Pakistan as skipper in 2006.

Sorry, two centuries and a couple of fifties.

Either way, in 9 matches he averages 59.00 as skipper, compared to 41.04 otherwise. I think it's a fair comment to make.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Well, that drop proves Richard's earlier point about how it is better is Strauss doesn't drive at all.
That's fine on slow tracks in India where you can score a decent amount of runs with cross-batted shots square of the wicket, but when the ball is bouncing there's no way he'll score fast enough for this series situation unless he plays the odd drive. Those are the danger balls, but i think he's content to ride his luck if it means being 80/0 after 20 overs. Even if that had been taken, 80/1 would be a more than satisfactory score at this stage.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He also made three centuries against Pakistan as skipper in 2006.

Sorry, two centuries and a couple of fifties.

Either way, in 9 matches he averages 59.00 as skipper, compared to 41.04 otherwise. I think it's a fair comment to make.
I didn't remember the 2nd ton against Pakistan tbh. I just think it's a small sample of games, all of which have been against relatively weak attacks.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
I like the way England are approaching this game. Looks like they've learned their lesson on using up gametime without really going anywhere.

If our usually plodding openers can score fast, we've certainly got the players to keep that up down the order.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TSTL. Should've been out 3 times (including 1 in single-figures) in his knock in the previous game, now should've had at least 1 dismissal today.

Oh well, I'd prefer it went to him than some others.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I like the way England are approaching this game. Looks like they've learned their lesson on using up gametime without really going anywhere.

If our usually plodding openers can score fast, we've certainly got the players to keep that up down the order.
TBH, it'd be difficult to score slowly against the trash Daren Powell's been sending down. Edwards and Taylor have been OK. And they seem to have made a conscious decision to go after Benn on the less friendly surfaces after his performance on the turner at Sabina Park.

Uppercut

TSTL. Should've been out 3 times (including 1 in single-figures) in his knock in the previous game, now should've had at least 1 dismissal today.

Oh well, I'd prefer it went to him than some others.
He's owed some luck.

Also, distinctly different tactics shown to Gayle than to Benn. Gayle's bowled 4 overs for 4 runs (was 3.5 for none), Benn 6 for 28.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pleased with the selection and sounds like a good start, hoping to see some good cricket this evening :)