• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Happy enough with the squad though needs more Yorkshire in it.

I would imagine they will go with this as the side.

Cook
Lyth/Trott
Ballance
Bell
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Rashid
Plunkett
Broad
Anderson
If they go with that, which I agree is likely, I reckon Root will bowl a lot once Adil is smashed out of the attack.

I genuinely think the third seamer is probably up for grabs too, Wood could bowl himself past Plunkers in the warm-ups I reckon. If Stokes is bowling well, they may even go with Tredwell in that position. Trott's bowling gives us another seamer if he plays.

Lots of runs in that side though.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see no Kerrigan in the squad :-O
Well Rashid is a batting allrounder like Moeen (not as good mind) and you couldn't go with 2 total rookies in Rashid and Kerrigan so they went for the experience of Tredwell. That is my take on it, seeing as Kerrigan can't bat I think he may struggle to get many opportunities regardless of what us fans think.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Just no way Rashid plays as the only spinner.

That would be a massive, massive gamble. Bowling just too inconsistent and profligate in what will likely be favourable conditions.

Tredwell is no great but at least they can probably rely on him bowling 30 overs in a day and probably go for less than 100 and maybe pick up a few wickets.

Rashid could easily go for 150 in 25 overs on the first day of a test and almost lose England it and knacker the fast bowlers in the process who have to bowl more than intended.

Rashid could play as the second spinner as he offers decent batting and fielding and could be used strategically against the tail or later in the match if pushing for a win. He needs the backup of a frontline spinner. Maybe if they wanna play two spinners 6. Stokes 7. Buttler 8. Rashid 9. Tredwell 10. Broad 11. Anderson

Last first class game at St Georges Grenada (2nd test) 236.3 of the 329.1 (72%) overs were bowled by spin. Could be interesting. Some English journalists have already written WI off but they definitely have a fighting chance.

Looks like plenty of spin overs at viv richard stadium also ( but don't have time to go through scorecard at this time). Leeward Islands v Guyana at North Sound, Feb 13-15, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo and kensington oval Barbados v Windward Islands at Bridgetown, Mar 13-16, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm super excited for this series. Easily the best away series timezone wise, in fact best series full stop if in work and I can't ever remember waiting this long for a Test. Bring it on

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Devon Smith or Leon Johnson probably to open probably, Lil Bravo is just as likely to show for the series as he is to be missing so Johnson could take his place at 3 anyway.

Chanders has to be close to going though, the thought would be very much in his mind after the SA series so he's got to be at least halfway there already.
This might be Shivs last. He needs 225 runs to be the first West Indian to reach 12,000. I reckon he'll want that record and will then call it a day. It's going to be a very sad day when he does so I'll just enjoy his batting whilst I can.

As for the side, our selectors are an utter joke but my guess is:

Braithwaite
Gayle (pending retirment, we'll see. If not then probably Smith or Johnson as a makeshift opener)
Darren Bravo
Marlon Samuels
Shiv Chanderpaul
Jermaine Blackwood
Denesh Ramdin
Jason Holder
Jerome Taylor
Kemar Roach
Insert Spinner here (please not Benn. Probably either Permaul or one of the leggies in Bishoo or Jacobs)

We've got the beginnings of a reasonable test side if they can keep Bravo fit and in form and Gayle gets back some semblance of form. We're definitely not there yet though. Certainly a pretty good pace attack IMO, as long as they play Holder and not Shannon Gabriel.

England would be favourites but not by as much as Bob Willis and co are making out as that England squad looks pretty damn average to me, definitely the weakest to tour for here for some time.

andmark

International Captain
Just been watching Adil Rashid and he seems to have both a back of the hand googly and front hand googly.

Flem274*

123/5
tredwell might be a winning pick as long as they don't use any wickets he takes as evidence he's good. in the west indies there's always a good chance of getting a pitch where any accurate spinner, no matter how poor, will take a bag. your rashid's and co. won't have too much fun though.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
mark craig and ish sohdi both enjoyed some relative success there last year so i'm not too worried about rashid on this tour. he'll take some tap if he plays but should have enough about him to get among the wickets.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
(re. Batty) He's nearly 80 tho, isn't he?

Both in terms of age and test average.
Last time I looked up 'anodyne' in my dictionary, it simply said 'see Gareth Batty'.
It would be an extraordinary step to recall him now, not that Tredwell makes any more sense..

I'm OK with Rashid's selection. He's lucky that there's no viable alternatives, but lets see how he goes.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Chanderpaul isnt interested in staying around for the Australian tour?

Surely the Windies have a very good chance here. I do think they need to find another opener for Braithwaite as soon as possible though. I just dont see Gayle sticking around for long. Other than that the batting is looking quite reasonable.

Bowling looks decent though a side without Ben I would prefer

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely there's a spinner in the country that England actually think, purely on eyes, is better than Tredwell. I mean, ****, pick kerrigan at least