• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because all the obvious candidates are probably better in the middle order.

Ballance could always come back at 3 but most think he would really be better at 5, Would be happy with Vince at 3 but then I would just be happy with Vince being in the side at all.

jimbags

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Root should stay where he is

And Bell? he had enough chances. Two years of **** form and he gets back in after one tour? ffs. Move on

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Would be happy with Vince at 3 but then I would just be happy with Vince being in the side at all.
I'm a Hampshire fan, but I don't think Vince is ready. He really struggled in Div 1 last year, test cricket is a bridge too far at the moment!

JV is one for the future. He needs two decent Div 1 seasons first.

Pothas

25 this year, it is time.

Last year was poor and if there was a repeat of that at the start of this season then he should not get in the side but I am bored of waiting.

grecian

On Ian bell, we know he'll score runs in the championship he always does. Yet in the end if he scores an huge amount and none of the others that are in contention score any, then of course you ****ing pick him, he hasn't obnoxiously slagged anyone off, he still seems popular in the dressing-room, it wouldn't hurt team spirit to pick someone who is just scoring more runs, seems pretty reasonable to me.

Yet as I say feel he needs to pour on the runs, rather than just do better than ok.

Spark

Global Moderator
Didn't he score well in CC before the Tests last summer? As well as the summer before? Remember at least one hundred this year.

Stapel

International Regular
On Ian bell, we know he'll score runs in the championship he always does. Yet in the end if he scores an huge amount and none of the others that are in contention score any, then of course you ****ing pick him, he hasn't obnoxiously slagged anyone off, he still seems popular in the dressing-room, it wouldn't hurt team spirit to pick someone who is just scoring more runs, seems pretty reasonable to me.

Yet as I say feel he needs to pour on the runs, rather than just do better than ok.
Nobody has more Ashes victories than Ian Ronald Bell. And he is younger than Chris Rogers was, when he made his debut. The one Test vs India doesn't count, because I say so. And Ian Ronald Bell is just the type that only gets better with age. Also because I say so.

Ian Bell, my Lord, Ian Bell

grecian

Didn't he score well in CC before the Tests last summer? As well as the summer before? Remember at least one hundred this year.
Indeed as I think I stated twice, hence why I said he needed to score many more than others in contention..

Pothas

Vince looks good but has an average first class record. Hasn't done enough to be picked in Tests.
41 is pretty decent (yes a lot of it was in division two) and he started young. I am horribly biased but he looks like an international player, and not just because of he plays beautiful shots, I think that showed the T20 series. You are right though, someone else has always warranted selection ahead of him, he needs to put that right this year.

Flem274*

123/5
I haven't checked the score and went to bed after hales got out but now I get to guess if cw is overreacting to an english effort or if they got rolled.

I hope rolled.

Pothas

Basically there is (or at least should be) a spot open because of Hales. Not what I would call an overreaction.

Stace

First Class Debutant
I would rather have Carberry back then Bell, he got 1 chance away to AUS where everyone failed (he did better then most) against the best bowling attack Cook said he's ever faced.

Hopefully Lees will come on in the next couple of years anyway.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bell's a reasonable option if you're looking for experience, I can't honestly think of a moment this series where I've thought 'god I wish Ian Bell was out there in the middle.'