• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Chin Music

State Regular
That's a shame. Then again given his age and the fact he plays all formats something has to give and it's usually the body.
India have had a pretty full on last few months so in hindsight it probably isn't a surprise that a few players are struggling. They had the world cup, including preparations, not too long after their lead players were in SA and they now play England at home and then they have the IPL not too long after the England series ends.

Owzat

U19 Captain
I don't think 4 bowlers is an option. We just saw what having a 5th option did for England even with the imbalance in pacers, I think it'll be difficult to suggest that Siraj should go, especially when he was barely given a chance to bowl.
could tweak the side, bear in mind India were not undone because England somehow dominated, Pope played a great innings then surprisingly Hartley bowled as well

Pope was dropped by Patel on 110, would have been all but over had that been taken. Pope played well but also rode his luck a bit, not to say both sides couldn't refine selections but would base changes on individual performances or lack thereof not on result

Siraj and Wood did nothing, not sure anyone expected them to (36-3-112-0), if Stokes could bowl even a few overs that would fix it for England and play another spinner or batsman.

Gill and Iyer need to step up, perhaps a big gaping hole and only Bairstow of all batsmen scored (one) less run than Iyer

Iyer (48) and Gill (23) = 71 runs @ 17.75
Bairstow : 47 runs @ 23.50

IF, as I read on croconfi they promoted Patel as a left-hander maybe get in a left-hander, or this wonder boy someone was going on about averages 69 in FC cricket past two seasons

Chin Music

State Regular
Could bring in Lawrence for Wood, an extra batsman who can also bowl half decent off spin.
I would still be minded to play one of Anderson/Robinson. A bit of handy reverse can bag a couple of wickets here and there. That said, I think the all spin talk is smoke and mirrors anyway.

Molehill

International Captain
I would still be minded to play one of Anderson/Robinson. A bit of handy reverse can bag a couple of wickets here and there. That said, I think the all spin talk is smoke and mirrors anyway.
Yeah, likewise. Bumrah took 6-69 in the First Test, no way India are leaving him out. He's one of their biggest threats and they should give him something to play with. Anderson/Robinson should absolutely play, make the most of some reverse (which Wood is not really suited to do).

kevinw

International 12th Man
England toying with the idea of an all spin attack.

It might just work.
I'd be massively surprised. You need one change of attack, and Root's going to be a frontline bowler in this series anyway. I can see Bashir coming in for Ahmed or Leach if he isn't fit, and Wood dropping out for Anderson/Robinson - but I can't see England having spinners from 8-11 plus Root.