• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Xix2565

International Regular
I suspect it’ll be Washy, Patidar and Kuldeep for Jadeja, KL and Siraj.

I don’t think they’ll budge from the 5 bowler strat anytime soon. Which is fine in this case as Kuldeep and Washy do offer some decent batting depth. You also don’t want to get caught with an injured bowler or a lack of options whilst getting bazballed.

Subject to the bowling friendliness of the wicket though a 4 bowler attack can definitely be the better option.
I don't think 4 bowlers is an option. We just saw what having a 5th option did for England even with the imbalance in pacers, I think it'll be difficult to suggest that Siraj should go, especially when he was barely given a chance to bowl.

Xix2565

International Regular
Siraj not really bowling is an argument in favour of dropping him unless the pitches get more conducive to him. If he's barely going to bowl then what is he in the team for? Get more batting with some handy fill in overs in there instead
To me, the issue was more on how he was used rather than anything with him specifically. There were times when the spinners just bowled forever rather than having a mixture of pace and spin more often to try and disrupt the run scoring. This pitch wasn't really one where he was that useless.

Xix2565

International Regular
This may become one of the reasons used to drop him though. Why have a guy who can’t bat and bowls a handful of overs every game? He’s played 7 at home now and averages 1wpm at 30 and bowls 10 overs per game.

Edit: you’re right that he isn’t used well though
Would just suck tbh. "Oh we misused you and you haven't delivered, so we'll drop you" is IMO terrible team management. I mean he's been that sort of player you can throw the ball to in order to get a wicket at times at home, like Chennai 2nd Test or Ahmedabad 4th Test against England in 2021, or when he gets that freak spell like at the Wankhede 2021 vs NZ, so to me this game was really baffling as far as how he was used. Even against Australia at Nagpur and Delhi he had his moments. And on top of that this is his home ground, so to not trust in his experience here even against England's ability to score quickly vs pace is poor.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would just suck tbh. "Oh we misused you and you haven't delivered, so we'll drop you" is IMO terrible team management. I mean he's been that sort of player you can throw the ball to in order to get a wicket at times at home, like Chennai 2nd Test or Ahmedabad 4th Test against England in 2021, or when he gets that freak spell like at the Wankhede 2021 vs NZ, so to me this game was really baffling as far as how he was used. Even against Australia at Nagpur and Delhi he had his moments. And on top of that this is his home ground, so to not trust in his experience here even against England's ability to score quickly vs pace is poor.
Oh yeah Rohit was poor this test.

I still don’t think he adds more than alternatives though unfortunately.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Oh yeah Rohit was poor this test.

I still don’t think he adds more than alternatives though unfortunately.
this is always the question you should be asking when thinking of dropping players. it's not just whether that player is contributing anything to the team, it's what they're contributing over and above what you think your foreshadowed replacement guy would bring to the table

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I would not drop Siraj I would use him better than what Rohit did ..
Rohit was very submissive to his spin bowlers instead of being fair to all the bowlers despite Pope carting them to all parts with his sweeping skills. As a captain you should not sacrifice players you didn't use properly.

Reactions: FBU

TheJediBrah

Would just suck tbh. "Oh we misused you and you haven't delivered, so we'll drop you"
That's one way to look at it. It could also be "we shouldn't have selected you in the first place and there's no point you being here if you're not going to bowl". Not so much dropped as team balance was changed to suit conditions

Jadeja/Ashwin have been left out overseas before and they're much better players than Siraj

366etc

Cricket Spectator
The last England test 196 was L Hutton v. West Indies at Lord's in 1939, Pope's was England test hundred number 914.

Xix2565

International Regular
That's one way to look at it. It could also be "we shouldn't have selected you in the first place and there's no point you being here if you're not going to bowl". Not so much dropped as team balance was changed to suit conditions

Jadeja/Ashwin have been left out overseas before and they're much better players than Siraj
Jadeja/Ashwin weren't being left out to field only 4 bowlers most of that time, they came in for each other. And India's hasn't played one pacer at home for a long time. It upsets the balance of their attack and doesn't give them as much flexibility in terms of bowling plans throughout an innings.

TheJediBrah

Jadeja/Ashwin weren't being left out to field only 4 bowlers most of that time, they came in for each other. And India's hasn't played one pacer at home for a long time. It upsets the balance of their attack and doesn't give them as much flexibility in terms of bowling plans throughout an innings.
I wasn't commenting on what the team selection should be, but that sounds reasonable

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jadeja looked pretty toothless 2nd dig. Maybe Kuldeep or whoever will come in and wreck England, might be a blessing in disguise.

India has great depth and their fringe players are hyper motivated to make an impact

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Jadeja looked pretty toothless 2nd dig. Maybe Kuldeep or whoever will come in and wreck England, might be a blessing in disguise.

India has great depth and their fringe players are hyper motivated to make an impact
Jadejas loss is just as much his batting and fielding as his bowling, tbf. He's arguably been India's best batsmen in the past two years (bar maybe pant), and having his bowling means you can have a guy like axar who's a good #7 on output at 8, and ashwin at 9 when he's realistically a #8.

Taking jadeja away means you have to make a sacrifice somewhere, which is especially hard to do when you have a keeper like Bharat who's made the runs of a #8. India don't have anyone who can average 47 with the bat at 6/7 while also acting as a second spinner.