• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

cnerd123

likes this
Haha I assumed as much when he batted ten.
Fun fact - when we played against him the first time he was so tired from bashing us around with the bat he didn't bowl in our runchase.

Second time we played him, he opened the bowling, and was the quickest bowler on either side. We were so confused.

He was definitely a better batsman than bowler back then.

eempyrean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
andruid, not many follow other teams. Most follow their own. I used to follow intercontinental cup, but lost interest over the years

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's pretty pointless now they've announced who is getting test status anyway. If a third team overtook Ireland and Afghanistan and won this thing, would there now be 13 test nations?

cnerd123

likes this
I've been too busy to talk about it but been following HKs progress closely. The women played in the WorldT20 qualifiers recently, came third to UAE and Thailand, which was a bit disappointing.

eempyrean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's pretty pointless now they've announced who is getting test status anyway. If a third team overtook Ireland and Afghanistan and won this thing, would there now be 13 test nations?
You are right. It's going to be many many years before another team gets test status

cnerd123

likes this
I think a bigger issues is professionalism. Cricket is just not big enough in other countries to the point where they can be a professional cricket country - IE, hire people who work full time as players, match officials, or even administrators. By and large in Associate cricket this is done by people working part time or putting their careers on hold.

It's why the grassroots development of cricket in Associate nations and increasing their exposure on the global stage is so, so, so important. Both these things help increase the number of cricket fans in the country. More fans, more money. More money, more facilities, and increased professionalism. From that follows having a strong domestic cricket infrastructure, and from that eventually a First Class Infrastructure with atleast semi-professional players and officials and a strong dedicated administrative organisation

Afghanistan and Ireland already got to that stage to get Test cricket. It won't be the same if the ICC gave Test status to other Associates. They need to be investing in grass roots development in those countries first.

brockley

International Captain
Well their is a 40 million cut to the Associates,so as to keep India in the tent.
So this will be the last Associate cups we will see.
ICC pretty much decided this a big sized golden egg that can't be persisted with.
You will still have the World Divisions,12,3,4 and 5 tho.

cnerd123

likes this
The ICC needs to go and suck their own dicks for treating governance of a sport around the world as a business instead

You exist to protect and develop the sport not to turn a profit. Bunch of buffoons.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Brockley's post is basically fake news as far as I know. The ICC 'cut' to associates is basically nominal as the associate funding pool will no longer including Afghanistan or Ireland, who will receive 50-75 million (depending on how much the ICC actually rakes in) each over the eight year period in question.

As far as the ICup goes, the ICC has made no announcement at all as to the future of it. It might be scaled back slightly with Afghanistan and Ireland not part of it anymore, but I'd be surprised if they axed it altogether.

brockley

International Captain
Rumours swirling around,it has a big axe round it.
The Associates don't know whether they are Arthur or Martha atm.
So not fake news.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Target of 239 for Ireland. It will be very interesting - will depend on how they play Rashid

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Questions for those of you with insider knowledge of Indian (or sub continent) cricket.

- Who are Ashish Dhawan, and Avniesh Bhardwaj?
- Why on Earth would they just wake up one day and bring a T20 tournament to Uganda?
- What's the catch? (I expect there is one)
- Why are they only broadcasting this in the sub continent?

AFRO T20 CRICKET TEAM WALLET ? Afro T20 League