• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2008/09

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WESTERN Australia have turned to Pakistan paceman Umar Gul as they attempt to qualify for next year's Champions League Twenty20 tournament.

In a major coup, the Warriors have signed Gul for this summer's domestic Twenty20 tournament, in which the two finalists will qualify for next year's lucrative Champions League event.

Gul, 24, was one of Pakistan's brightest stars as the nation reached the final of the last year's ICC Twenty20 World Cup tournament in South Africa.

The right-arm speedster has snared 20 wickets at a phenomenal average of 12.2 over 13 Twenty20 internationals, while he has also notched 16 Tests and 51 one-day internationals for his country.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24835081-23212,00.html

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone know how many overseas players teams can have? I'm thinking it's 1 but I'm not sure

pup11

International Coach
Good signing by the Warriors, Gul is one of the best T20 bowlers going around and Warriors do look a bit light on bowling in the limited overs format of the game with only Magoffin and Dorey (to some extent) as there prime bowlers.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah he is good bowler but i think his bowling is more suited for FC cricket rather than limited overs cricket.
I think he's pretty suited to Twenty20 cricket actually - he bowls the odd loose one which makes him a bit expensive in proper one day cricket (and yes, I agree that's an oxymoron, but times are changing..) occasionally, but his low trajectory, surprising pace and ability to bowl a good yorker makes him hard to get under and hit out of the park.

I'd rather have him in my Twenty20 team against a good batting lineup than Dorey or possibly even Magoffin, TBH.

All that said, I have no idea of what his actual Twenty20 record is like - knowing my recent luck he'll have an average of 45 with an economy rate of 12 or something.

protea lover

Cricket Spectator
I think he's pretty suited to Twenty20 cricket actually - he bowls the odd loose one which makes him a bit expensive in proper one day cricket (and yes, I agree that's an oxymoron, but times are changing..) occasionally, but his low trajectory, surprising pace and ability to bowl a good yorker makes him hard to get under and hit out of the park.

I'd rather have him in my Twenty20 team against a good batting lineup than Dorey or possibly even Magoffin, TBH.

All that said, I have no idea of what his actual Twenty20 record is like - knowing my recent luck he'll have an average of 45 with an economy rate of 12 or something.
I don't think you can classify players as 20 20 players until that version of the game becomes more established. When you only play 3 or 4 interntaional 20 20s per year you can't just select a player for them and that is all. You must fit them in to every frame. I am pretty sure if he can bowl in a 20 20 he can bowl in an odi.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBH though there is a lot of keepers and fast bowlers that don't get a run if there batting not up to scatch. It just seems to be the way the game is going. Though if you have pace as seamer that will always give you a leg up. I've seen the odd spinners in lower grades that can spin the bowl a mile, but even that doesn't give them a leg up.
Yes and it's a huge problem.

In grade cricket especially bowlers should never be picked on the strength of their batting. I realise that teams want to win, but grade is about development.

Captains are also too quick to remove spinners who are going for a few runs as well. Often times right before they would take a wicket.

pup11

International Coach
Anyone know if Ronchi was dropped or just injuried?
Haha i was also wondering whether he is injured or dropped, and i would have been surprised if he was dropped, inconsistent he might be but still on his day (which has been rare this season) he is capable of tilting the game in favour of the Warriors, and his keeping to is pretty neat nowadays, the new kid Johnson has been pretty shoddy behind the stumps.

EDIT: Good 50 for Phil Hughes, he is on fire atm....

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha i was also wondering whether he is injured or dropped, and i would have been surprised if he was dropped, inconsistent he might be but still on his day (which has been rare this season) he is capable of tilting the game in favour of the Warriors, and his keeping to is pretty neat nowadays, the new kid Johnson has been pretty shoddy behind the stumps.

EDIT: Good 50 for Phil Hughes, he is on fire atm....
I didn't actually think Johnson was too bad.

pup11

International Coach
I didn't actually think Johnson was too bad.
Missed the stumping of Dan Smith, wasn't particularly good with his glovework when keeping to Heal, and i think he gave away a few byes too, anyway this was his debut game so could be some nerves.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone got any idea what NSW's batting order is likely to be for the T20 clash against Qld? The squad is:

Dominic Thornely (capt), Phillip Hughes, David Warner, Moises Henriques, Ben Rohrer, Steve Smith, Peter Forrest, Daniel Smith, Doug Bollinger, Nathan Bracken, Aaron Bird, Mark Cameron, Beau Casson, Nathan Hauritz, Stephen O'Keefe.

So I'm guessing that Hauritz, Casson, Rohrer and Bird/Cameron miss out, and that the batting order is something like:

Hughes
Warner
Foz
O'Keefe
Thornely
Fatman
Henriques/Smith
Smith/Henriques
Bracken
Bird/Cameron
Bollinger

Any other suggestions from NSW fans with more idea than me?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hughes
Warner
S Smith
Henriques
Thornely
D Smith
O'Keefe
Hauritz (Forrest/Rohrer/Casson - flick a coin)
Bracken (Cameron)
Bird
Bollinger

Hauritz wants to push for ODI/T20I squads so he will play if he is allowed to. The selectors want to give Cameron a run in limited overs, so they have a replacement when Bracken out for ODIs, with Clark injuried.

Stevie Smith and Henriques will bat at 3 and 4 regardless of whether they get single figures every match.

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
What do you base that on?

More importantly, you don't see O'Keefe batting 4? I just have a real feeling it'll happen, don't know why. Trying to do high bats for the first game and I'm racking my brains to no end.

Last edited: