• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs Pakistan in England

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
There was actually a match in 1996 which India-Pakistan joint played v Sri Lanka ahead of the world cup in Sri Lanka to show it is a safe country to travel to when West Indies and Australia refused to travel to Sri Lanka.
Something like that would be an ideal thing to bring cricket back to Pakistan in sometime though...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Something like that would be an ideal thing to bring cricket back to Pakistan in sometime though...
Won't happen for years mate. I know it's dreadfully unfair on guys like yourself, but no-one will go there after the attack on the SL team.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Rank stupid is perhaps a more apt description. They were playing across the line when the ball is moving about, late. Seven batsmen lbw/bowled in 33.1 overs. May as well just stepped to leg and said 'here see if you can hit the stumps'.
Yep we might as well have. FFS (at Australia, not you).

- Watson looks out of place opening in difficult situations.
- Ponting will still produce the goods occasionally, but as I've said a few times recently, ideally he should be batting lower down the order.
- North isn't one of the 6 best batsman in Australia.

I think someone like Chris Rogers is one of Australia's best 6 batsman in these type of conditions, sadly he's probably not even that close to gaining selection.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Definitely Australia's most consistent performer over the last 2 years or so now. Holding made a pretty good point that he would keep bowling the ball outside off stump and have a deep point and third man to restrict the boundaries.

If you bowled 6 out of 6 balls outside off stump, I think he's very likely to edge a ball to a wide slip/gully.

In saying this, I like his technique cause it works for him. He will get LBW a few times, early in an innings or just after a break and it will look soft, but he hits so many shots leg side so cleanly that while in form it's no big deal at all.
India did choke him out with that 8-1 field that way, tbh.. so that seems a fair point..

But Katich is gun.. :)

Faisal1985

There was actually a match in 1996 which India-Pakistan joint played v Sri Lanka ahead of the world cup in Sri Lanka to show it is a safe country to travel to when West Indies and Australia refused to travel to Sri Lanka.

1932-47 they were the same team as well. Some of the stories from that era's player's bondings after separation in the series they played is part of folklore. I have an Indian Cricket from the 50s or some thing (India's version of Wisden) which has extracts about one of those tours. I treasure that book.
Sweet.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which is almost what Clarke did. Yeah, they were rank stupid but they needed good balls in the most part to get them out.
You're always going to get good balls in Test cricket. It should generally need a succession of good balls to get proper batsmen out - and mostly it is relying on a bit of luck to get the edge. To get blasted out as Australia were is piss poor. Wasn't like you had 90+ mph bowlers reversing it 2 feet late.

Last edited:

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Yep we might as well have. FFS (at Australia, not you).

- Watson looks out of place opening in difficult situations.
- Ponting will still produce the goods occasionally, but as I've said a few times recently, ideally he should be batting lower down the order.
- North isn't one of the 6 best batsman in Australia.

I think someone like Chris Rogers is one of Australia's best 6 batsman in these type of conditions, sadly he's probably not even that close to gaining selection.
Yeah North was shocking today, played and missed so many times it was a miracle he didn't get out earlier. Paine looked far better at the crease than he did. Actually Paine was looking okay until he got out going for quick runs.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
You're always going to get good balls in Test cricket. It should generally need a succession of good balls to get proper batsmen out - and mostly it is relying on a bit of luck to get the edge. To get blasted out as Australia were is piss poor.
Of course it was but there are degrees of failure.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Haha, the fact that Pakistan are going confidently at 4.5 rpo without losing a wicket makes this so much sweeter. I think it's testament to how annoyingly awesome Australia used to be that them getting owned is so enjoyable.

Faisal1985

Well, this is quite an achievement by Pak....They wouldn't get a better chance of winning a test against Australia then this....but then again we said this in Sydney as well....

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just about the worst 2 sessions I've ever seen Oz put together Back-to-back

Without taking anything away from Asif and Aamer, who were exceptional, Oz were embarrassingly inept with very few exceptions

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If our batting coach Justin Langer was asked to bat in the second innings of the match I would be more confident he'd succeed than half our current batting lineup. Might as well get Haydos back from his show on The Lifestyle Channel while we are at it, oh and Shane Warne from the commentary box.

I miss our old team.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Haha, the fact that Pakistan are going confidently at 4.5 rpo without losing a wicket makes this so much sweeter. I think it's testament to how annoyingly awesome Australia used to be that them getting owned is so enjoyable.
Ah well, atleast India are losing as well.

Hilfenhausm doesn't look 100% fit either because he bowled poorly and was deafinately down on pace by 7 or 8 km/h.

George should of played.