• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs Pakistan in England

inbox24

International Debutant
I would just like to take a moment to liken Marcus North's bowling performance during the week to a little snack one has between mealtimes. Whilst the condiments may be tasty and satisfy temporarily, we cannot really on it as if it were a meal, real solid food. In this case, real solid food would be a batsman who can average between 45-50 and do so in a consistent manner (not by scoring a century today in favourable conditions and nothing for the next month). Any bowling options this batsman would provide Ponting would then be an extra bonus.

Candidates would include David Hussey (for a few years) and a possible transition into Phil Hughes if Katich were to delay his retirement.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would just like to take a moment to liken Marcus North's bowling performance during the week to a little snack one has between mealtimes. Whilst the condiments may be tasty and satisfy temporarily, we cannot really on it as if it were a meal, real solid food. In this case, real solid food would be a batsman who can average between 45-50 and do so in a consistent manner (not by scoring a century today in favourable conditions and nothing for the next month). Any bowling options this batsman would provide Ponting would then be an extra bonus.

Candidates would include David Hussey (for a few years) and a possible transition into Phil Hughes if Katich were to delay his retirement.
Interesting.

Would you therefore liken Marcus North to a ****tail frankfurt, for example? Or an Uncle Toby's muesli bar?

Jayzamann

International Regular
Or an Uncle Toby's muesli bar?
Possibly one of those multipacks with four different flavours.

Only one of the flavours is out of this world amazing, and you eat them first. Then you slowly peck away at what you still enjoy, but not as much, eventually choking down the muesli bars that make you wonder why you bought the box in the first place. Eventually the box is empty and you buy more, and eat your favourite flavour straight away. Rinse, repeat.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
North a better bowler than Gillespie was a bat though IMO.
Nah, Gillespie grew into a pretty solid batsmen towards the end of his career and racked up some pretty decent scores in his last few FC seasons with the Redbacks and Yorkshire. Had a real solid defence and a decent range of shots which also expanded as his career went on. So IMO, he offered more to the team with his batting to what North does with his bowling. Gillespie also saved the Australian team from losing or salvaging the draw with some of his innings and I don't really think North could change the game with his bowling.

Plus Dizzy has 3 first class tons to North's 2 five wicket hauls. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah, Gillespie grew into a pretty solid batsmen towards the end of his career and racked up some pretty decent scores in his last few FC seasons with the Redbacks and Yorkshire. Had a real solid defence and a decent range of shots which also expanded as his career went on. So IMO, he offered more to the team with his batting to what North does with his bowling. Gillespie also saved the Australian team from losing or salvaging the draw with some of his innings and I don't really think North could change the game with his bowling.

Plus Dizzy has 3 first class tons to North's 2 five wicket hauls. :p
Signature takes a lot away from your post one feels. :p
North's operated as a genuine allrounder for Western Australia for two or three seasons now. The coach stated at one point that he was seen as the best spinner in WA for the conditions at the WACA; Gillespie's batting improved but at no point would he have got a gig as a bat.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the difference is not as big as the points make it to be....i think Asif is just as deadly a bowler as Steyn....
Nope. Asif needs assistance to make him 'as deadly a bowler as Steyn'

Steyn on any pitch at any time can destroy a batting lineup.

Also Asif shouldn't even be allowed to play. He should be locked up and/or banned. As for in two years time, chances are he'll be at least 'banned' for two years another 3-4 times in that period. So he might only have played about another half dozen Tests.

benchmark00

North a better bowler than Gillespie was a bat though IMO.
Hmmm, I dunno. Gillespie, though not gifted with many shots, was quite effective in his role as a nightwatchman towards the end of his career. North at test level hasn't done much with the ball at all until his six wickets. Probably about level I reckon.

Making 200* > taking 6 for, also ftr.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Steyn and Asif are two completely different bowlers. Steyn relys on his pace and Asif operates by manipulating a track. Steyn says Pace is everything, Asif says Swing is the thing.

Umar_Akmal

Banned
Nope. Asif needs assistance to make him 'as deadly a bowler as Steyn'

Steyn on any pitch at any time can destroy a batting lineup.

Also Asif shouldn't even be allowed to play. He should be locked up and/or banned. As for in two years time, chances are he'll be at least 'banned' for two years another 3-4 times in that period. So he might only have played about another half dozen Tests.
Steyn last test figures were 100/1 on a pitch where thee was no swing. What happened to his pace then?? :laugh:

Shane Warne was taking drugs for years before getting caught in 2003. 8-)

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Steyn and Asif are two completely different bowlers. Steyn relys on his pace and Asif operates by manipulating a track. Steyn says Pace is everything, Asif says Swing is the thing.
Steyn is the guy with the swing and pace. Asif relies more on seam movement and accuracy than swing.

akilana

International 12th Man
Steyn last test figures were 100/1 on a pitch where thee was no swing. What happened to his pace then?? :laugh:

nah the latest figures were something like 3/36 and 3/37..both combined 6 for 73.

Do you agree that even Bradman didn't score hundreds every innings? You are allowed to have bad innings here and there and still be damn good.

Last edited:

cric

Cricket Spectator
I don't see how Dale Steyn is relevant to this thread, if you really want to discuss who's better y'all should discuss elsewhere. jus' saying.

Anyways, I expect a much better and stable performance from Pakistan in the final test match, though I think Aussues would be like "what the heck, we want to finish this off now". I think Aussies will come on top as expected.

Shoaib Malik should have really played in the first test given that he is a way better Batsman than Afridi overall, if not in tests. Also Instead of playing Danish Kaneria who didn't provide anything great, Malik could have been a far better option. But what the heck? We’re dealing with Pakistan Cricker here, lol.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

ftr, North taking six is so much like Gillespie making 200* at the end of his career, just opposite roles.
AWTA. As well as he bowled, it was against a fairly hapless batting line-up who collapsed against two part-timers.

I don't see how Dale Steyn is relevant to this thread, if you really want to discuss who's better y'all should discuss elsewhere. jus' saying.
Yes.

Shoaib Malik should have really played in the first test given that he is a way better Batsman than Afridi overall, if not in tests. Also Instead of playing Danish Kaneria who didn't provide anything great, Malik could have been a far better option. But what the heck? We’re dealing with Pakistan Cricker here, lol.
Would have provided more with bat and ball, tbh.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain

Are you just going to troll in every thread you post in?