• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Spark

Global Moderator
I remember some years ago people on here (might even have been you) thought he might revert to a more conventional technique when he got older and slower. It's as if he's done the opposite.
Yeah, I thought that especially after he did seem to go back to a more conventional guard last summer and peeled off runs for fun again. Never underestimate the stubbornness of the aging great batsman but I really cannot fathom why he's changed or whether his mind is just spinning from having to open.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Oh come on why is mid off wide for both batsmen, not in the correct position. The whole point is to block off the safer straight bat face shot and make them hit squarer.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Sears and O-rourke showing what they can do this season. Ready for intl cricket. We know what henry and jamieson can do, they are quality. Time for southee to go as well so the soultner days come to an end. Only makes me curious about what fisher, shipley and foulkes could do.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can see middle stump on the replay though and his head position is outside the line of the ball even before it moves off the deck. Great nut but any movement from there and he's screwed, as he was
when the ball is on that length at 130kph+ is there much you can do about movement regardless? Reckon you're pretty much committed to a shot by that stage

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I thought that especially after he did seem to go back to a more conventional guard last summer and peeled off runs for fun again. Never underestimate the stubbornness of the aging great batsman but I really cannot fathom why he's changed or whether his mind is just spinning from having to open.
Smith's been asking to open as far back as the Ashes in England from memory, has had a fair amount of time to think about the move.

Spark

Global Moderator
when the ball is on that length at 130kph+ is there much you can do about movement regardless? Reckon you're pretty much committed to a shot by that stage
You have a much better chance if your head is in line with the ball to start with

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was more supportive of him opening than most, but I don't think it's going to work in the long run. I think he needs to do a Richards or Sobers and drop down to 5 or 6. Trouble is the middle order is very congested.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You have a much better chance if your head is in line with the ball to start with
The way you survive a ball like that is a biiiiig stride down the wicket (or batting out of your crease) so you get hit outside the line. The way Smith and Khawaja bat playing from the crease it's a big vulnerability

Aus batting line up have a big "play from the crease/back foot" tactic

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Anorher wicket soon and I've a feeling Head and Marsh will come out blazing and try to "bazball" Aus to victory. I guess they bat that way anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
I was more supportive of him opening than most, but I don't think it's going to work in the long run. I think he needs to do a Richards or Sobers and drop down to 5 or 6. Trouble is the middle order is very congested.
I mean, it's not like incumbents have set the world alight of the last few games...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Sears and O-rourke showing what they can do this season. Ready for intl cricket. We know what henry and jamieson can do, they are quality. Time for southee to go as well so the soultner days come to an end. Only makes me curious about what fisher, shipley and foulkes could do.
Yeah if we dream for a minute that our fast bowlers might stay fit and get good, Sears and O'Rourke look like they would complement each other very well. Both right arm at up to 140, but one bowls full outswing and the other short of a length shaping in.

Spark

Global Moderator
The way you survive a ball like that is a biiiiig stride down the wicket (or batting out of your crease) so you get hit outside the line. The way Smith and Khawaja bat playing from the crease it's a big vulnerability

Aus batting line up have a big "play from the crease/back foot" tactic
You're right about this tbh. Only really Green likes to really defend with a big forward stride, the rest play from the crease.

Anyway this game looks pretty over already

King Kane

International Debutant
Our bowling stocks are looking good, batting stocks not so much when Young is still our best back up batsman.