• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

Woodster

International Captain
Been a fair old rearguard action from Deonarine with 19 off 93 deliveries, I appreciate things look tough out there but runs are as important as not giving your wicket away. He can bat like this for another two hours and he won't have taken the game too much further away from Australia unless someone gets going at the other end. Churlish of me to have a go at the only WI batsman that hasn't got out in this innings, and I do appreciate the hard work he's put into this so far, just think he's got to keep the board ticking a bit more tomorrow.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say kudos to Clarke for the declaration. Could've let the game drift with Harris and Lyon adding more runs whilst taking overs out of those to be bowled to the Windies but he took a punt and now could (and in fact, weather permitting should) be rewarded with a win.

Ballsy stuff.

When was the last time a captain declared behind in a test?

Woodster

International Captain
Have to say kudos to Clarke for the declaration. Could've let the game drift with Harris and Lyon adding more runs whilst taking overs out of those to be bowled to the Windies but he took a punt and now could (and in fact, weather permitting should) be rewarded with a win.

Ballsy stuff.

When was the last time a captain declared behind in a test?
Yes it was a relatively brave decision with Australia still behind on first innings scores, but they were nine wickets down and he was aware it could all have ended in a single delivery, but the message he showed with the declaration was a positive one.

Also with Australia just 43 runs behind he will have known WI would have had to score quickly, not easy on this pitch, in order to get themselves into a position to risk a declaration.

So while I don't personally think it was a hugely courageous decision, it was certainly one that sent out a confident and positive message that they believe they can still win the game and not be content with avoiding defeat despite it being a testing match.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea it wasn't brave it was just smart to declare. The game situation meant Australia were only realistically going to lose by bowling out West Indies cheaply and being bowled out cheaply themselves. The flatter the pitch or the more faith you have in your batting the earlier you'd be willing to declare.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah ****, at what point in the game did the odds go out that far?
When Australia lost 2 wickets in the first 5 overs yesterday.

At that time West Indies were just over $3 so I laid/bet against WI winning, but didn't have the cojones to bet on Australia outright.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
When Australia lost 2 wickets in the first 5 overs yesterday.

At that time West Indies were just over $3 so I laid/bet against WI winning, but didn't have the cojones to bet on Australia outright.
I wouldn't have bet on us to win either, but what you did sounded like a good move.

Bring on day 5!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke, WAG. Like Scaly said it was the only sensible move if Australia are going to win the game, but I really don't think you could expect many other current captains to have done the same.