• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dussey never looks much chop against decent spin in the sub-continent. He looks woeful at times in the IPL. He isn't in his brother's class against spin.
Remember him early in his career being referred to as the most damaging player of mediocre spin that you'll ever find. Destroys that part-time stuff that you get in the middle of OD cricket, but has looked out of his class against top class stuff.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haddin's your best player of spin right?
I'd disagree with that pretty largely. Reminds me of a QLDer facing spin, block block slog; and plays with his hands so far away from his eyes at times that he leaves himself vulnerable.

Warner was an absolute freak at playing spin as a junior, just seems a different player of it now.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
fun fact: my bro went to school with warner and has confirmed with me before that he's pretty much as good right handed. Vic_o may expend depending on whether he has anything to add here
Yeah, used to play ridiculous switch-hits for fun, and net right handed as a gag. Maxwell from Victoria is the same (although the other way around, bats right hand naturally).

Did he pull out a few in this game? I missed it.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Clarke and Ponting have been integral parts of our ODI sides for the last two years and honestly they haven't been able to do a toss about our problems against spin, in fact in the last 24 months Ponting generally gets out before the spinners even come on to bowl and Clarke just keeps blocking them with a dead bat.

Like I said in my previous post it has in general never been the Australian way to nurdle and nudge spinners around the park which is something we have been trying to do in LO cricket for a while with disastrous results, I'm just surprised that we haven't even made any real attempts to overcome this problem.

Its true we don't have any spinners in domestic cricket of great pedigree but still you could prepare underprepared practice-wickets for the batsmen to work on and improve their skills against spin, after the worldcup where we literally got owned by pretty much every spinner that rolled his arm over I thought we would have used the four month off-season time to improve our skills and change our tactics against spin bowling but from what we have seen in the first two games of this tour nothing much seems to have changed.
I think in general it has been shown that Nielsen's strong point is not planning.

It's all the cross bat stuff that looks so foolish. It's fine for Watson to do it, he has to as he has no other recourse against spin, but it won't work for everyone.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, used to play ridiculous switch-hits for fun, and net right handed as a gag. Maxwell from Victoria is the same (although the other way around, bats right hand naturally).

His first boundary was a "pure" switch hit along the carpet through extra.

pup11

International Coach
I think in general it has been shown that Nielsen's strong point is not planning.

It's all the cross bat stuff that looks so foolish. It's fine for Watson to do it, he has to as he has no other recourse against spin, but it won't work for everyone.
Poor administration is the only reason why Nielsen and Langer are still holding onto their jobs but if we lose in Sri Lanka 'as well' which is looking pretty likely atm then I can see Steve Rixon replacing Nielsen as the next coach which I think would be great.

pup11

International Coach

Mate.. Maxwell has caught my eye in recent times, played couple of gems for Vics last season and has played some belligerent knocks for AIS in the recent Emerging players tournament, Shipperd rates him very highly as well, so do you see him as a potential international player..?

pup11

International Coach
let's see if the tests are any different. SL attack isn't that great really
They really don't need a great attack while playing at home, they will just prepare a turner and play with possibly three or four spinners so if the Australian batsmen don't turn the tide quickly then we could be in for a very rough time.

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
Will remind you that SL in Tests is a somewhat different proposition to SL in LO cricket though.
True, but this Aussie team is nothing special compared to the team that toured here last time. Also we play our best cricket at home so it wont be exactly a walk in the park for Australia either.

smash84

The Tiger King
They really don't need a great attack while playing at home, they will just prepare a turner and play with possibly three or four spinners so if the Australian batsmen don't turn the tide quickly then we could be in for a very rough time.
yeah I was only thinking in terms of pace bowling. Spin could be a different ball game altogether

What happened to Michael Clarke? He used to play spin so well

Spark

Global Moderator
yeah I was only thinking in terms of pace bowling. Spin could be a different ball game altogether

What happened to Michael Clarke? He used to play spin so well
If you're horribly out of form you're horribly out of form but Clarke looked faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more comfortable against spin than pace in the Ashes.

Personally I disagree massively with pup wrt, erm, Pup especially in the 2007-2009 period which I thought was easily his best work. Played Swann superbly in the 09 Ashes - hence the quote in my sig.

There was a time last year where he seemed to completely lose his ability to pick up length upon which his entire gameplan vs. spin relies. Think he's over that now but this series will confirm either way.

Lostman

State Captain
Does anyone know if SL can catch up to Aus in the rankings?

Probable SL XI for tomorrow;

Tharanga
Dilshan
Chandimal
Sanga
MJ
Mathews
J.Mendis
Perera
Herath
Randiv
A. Mendis

Don't really care much for Tharanga, having Mahela open is a lot better for SL than the useless bat he becomes at number 4-5. But after Tharanga's performance in the WC its really hard to keep him out of the side.

Other than that just plug in the side full of spinners, about 40 overs of spin should do it:cool:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
4-1/5-0 can do it. not sure about 4-0 with a game rained out

as for our line-up....hahahahahaha who the **** knows

Lostman

State Captain
4-1/5-0 can do it. not sure about 4-0 with a game rained out

as for our line-up....hahahahahaha who the **** knows
Meh, so no shot of number one ranking then, might as well save Mendis for the 1st test at least.

What is the Aus line up you would like to see?