• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
does touch on something i've thought about before though - we never really had a problem with hilditch until greggy C came along did we? i mean sure the panel made stuff ups here and there, but it wasn't until greggy c joined the panel that they started making stuff ups every single time they named a squad right? so is Hildtich really a massive problem? or will he just be the fall guy while Chappell does his work which has been a proven failure in South Aus., in India and to a degree at the cricket academy

obv i'm in favour of kicking them all out and starting again. but...
Well, he's been poison for every team he's been a part of whether it be captain or coach. As a player, you'd take him but don't give him the reigns whatever you do.

Chappell's destructive influence goes beyond the Test side too whereas Hilditch hasn't had time to ruin anyone else so, if there was a choice regarding who to keep.....

Spark

Global Moderator
does touch on something i've thought about before though - we never really had a problem with hilditch until greggy C came along did we? i mean sure the panel made stuff ups here and there, but it wasn't until greggy c joined the panel that they started making stuff ups every single time they named a squad right? so is Hildtich really a massive problem? or will he just be the fall guy while Chappell does his work which has been a proven failure in South Aus., in India and to a degree at the cricket academy

obv i'm in favour of kicking them all out and starting again. but...
We didn't particularly like Hilditch but yeah, Chappell is the real enemy here. At least with Hilditch alone we had something approaching mild continuity with the Test team with Hauritz as spinner - when he played, anyway.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
you can dig it up on cricketarchive.

Since the start of the 08/09 summer till the end of the Zimbo tour he has played 19 games. His scores are: 21, 2, 47, 26, 65, 30, 13, 132, 5, 4*, 35, 81, 115, 3, 54, 11, 12, 15, 60, 25, 129, 35, 11*, 7, 10, 12, 36, 14, 131, 0, 15, 56, 0*, 48

and that's the good part of his career.

A bit more nuanced than Marsh because at least he can score 100s at a reasonable rate. 1 every 5 matches is pretty good. Add in 5 50s and he should be averaging 50+ in this time. But like North he just fails far too often.

34 innings, 3 n.o., 1260 runs @40.65. Add in the fact as others have pointed out that he plays half his games on the best batting pitch in the country and frankly that's no where near Test quality. Ben Rohrer has played the same amount of games (but 4 less innings) and has 1090 runs at 47.39 including 2 tons and 8 50s. NO ONE (quite rightly) talks about a fringe player like Rohrer as a potential test player, but his numbers expose what a fraud Callum Ferguson is.
That's pretty horrible for an SA player. Just like North, which is kind of creepy.

Julian87

State Captain
Gee Roebuck's a journalist. Lyon from a cricketing family in Canberra hey. Only set foot in Canberra to see The Raiders play at Bruce Stadium until he was 17.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gee Roebuck's a journalist. Lyon from a cricketing family in Canberra hey. Only set foot in Canberra to see The Raiders play at Bruce Stadium until he was 17.
Haha I noticed that too.

At least he knew SA brought him over from Canberra for cricket though. I've read a stack of articles that basically suggest he had a trundle in the nets as a groundskeeper and caught the eye, completely missing the fact that the offered him that job to get over there because they'd seen him bowl in futures.

Julian87

State Captain
Yeah it's all a bit far fetched.

He had interest from South Australia the year before but hadn't finished his Apprenticeship at Manuka. He was actualy given the position at Adelaide with cricket in mind. Before the T20 trials SACA were paying for him to play Futures for ACT...which was probably due to a lack of an official state contract at the time (not playing for SACA 23s). While he wasn't close to playing Shield he wasn't a random curator with no credentials. As I've said in the last year of CA Cup he was leading wicket taker in a very young (but promising...Carters and co) ACT side (before it was underage stuff).

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well done, you know someone who plays cricket. Must be a big thrill but now it's time to move on.

subshakerz

International Coach
Should be an interesting series between two seriously flawed sides recovering from the retirements of their best players. The bowling attacks don't really encourage much confidence. I predit a 1-0 victory to Sri Lanka, two high-scoring draws and one spin inspired victory.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Should be an interesting series between two seriously flawed sides recovering from the retirements of their best players. The bowling attacks don't really encourage much confidence. I predit a 1-0 victory to Sri Lanka, two high-scoring draws and one spin inspired victory.
australian bowling attack is rubbish isn't it

johnson, harris, siddle, (bollinger) are trundlers.....

Spark

Global Moderator
Siddle's not fantastic. Harris is solid but there's always the question of injury with him - and Johnson, well, only a fool would try and predict him.

Howe_zat

Audio File
At least there are some teeth to that attack - even if it's often biting in the wrong place. It's much better than the Sri Lankans' seam bowling.

Biggest worry for Australia is whether guys like Hughes, Marsh et al can play the Sri Lankan decks and spin as well as the likes of Mahela and Samaraweera. They'll need Ponting and especially Clarke back.

(Also need Katich, but hey, shoot yourselves in the foot why don't you.)

Last edited: