• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Migara

International Coach
Sri Lanka's attack is just abysmal at this level. All their bowlers averaging high 30's or 40+!

Just not up to it against world class batsmen. No way England will lose in Sri Lanka, just whether they can take 20 wickets.

Harris is the key to this Aussie attack. He is their 1 world class performer. But given his action and build, he is an accident waiting to happen. Doubt he'll make 2013 sadly!
See it like this, SL bowlers average very respectable figures in SL. It's English bowlers who have abysmal figures in SL. Barring Swann and Bresnan, others will have a tough time bowling in typical SL conditions.

Migara

International Coach
Putting it out there that while Mahela's was one of the best innings I've seen in recent years; Mathews was all ass and no class. Extremely lucky innings full of rash, immature and unconvincing cricket shots. He's got some talent but while he's not bowling I wouldn't have him in the test side.

(awaits criticism)
He is an ass alright. People rarely talk back to fast men of Johnson's pace and then smack them around the park later. he's immature, because he's young. But, his technique is more suited for fast bouncy pitches with movement (re: plays a long way in front of the body, a sign of players who love pace on the ball). The only other player who loves quicker wickets in SL line up is Sanga and to an extent PJ, hence a real asset. For and example England or Aussies will die for a batsman who can play spin well in their line up, some one like Mahela or Virat Kohli.

And i'd expect him to average around 47-52 if he stays fit when he dcides to hang up his boots.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could I mention just how awesome I think it is that we've won a game! I haven't felt this excited by a win since the 06/07 Ashes.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He is an ass alright. People rarely talk back to fast men of Johnson's pace and then smack them around the park later. he's immature, because he's young. But, his technique is more suited for fast bouncy pitches with movement (re: plays a long way in front of the body, a sign of players who love pace on the ball). The only other player who loves quicker wickets in SL line up is Sanga and to an extent PJ, hence a real asset. For and example England or Aussies will die for a batsman who can play spin well in their line up, some one like Mahela or Virat Kohli.

And i'd expect him to average around 47-52 if he stays fit when he dcides to hang up his boots.
Yeah, was pretty much my impressions of him, similar opinion to Julian's too. Get the feeling there's a dashing ton at the WACA or Gabba in his future, though.

Unrelated but Copeland looks a proper bat, my first look at him with the willow. Looks really good off his legs especially.

Last edited:

OMM!

U19 12th Man
For and example England or Aussies will die for a batsman who can play spin well in their line up, some one like Mahela or Virat Kohli.
Like Ian Bell, Eoin Morgan, Kevin Pietersen or Matt Prior?

Sri Lanka's bowlers are just not International quality. They require HUGE assistance in the surface to get any results. They have lost 3 top class International bowlers within a few years in Vaas, Murali and Malinga, and sadly they had no-one to replace them!

Spark

Global Moderator

Sri Lanka's bowlers are just not International quality. They require HUGE assistance in the surface to get any results. They have lost 3 top class International bowlers within a few years in Vaas, Murali and Malinga, and sadly they had no-one to replace them!
There is no way Ian Bell etc., good as they are, are anything like Mahela Jayawardene in terms of quality against spin.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
See it like this, SL bowlers average very respectable figures in SL. It's English bowlers who have abysmal figures in SL. Barring Swann and Bresnan, others will have a tough time bowling in typical SL conditions.
Current test squad home bowling average:
AD Mathews – 51
BAW Mendis - 29
HMRKB Herath – 29
KTGD Prasad - 65
RAS Lakmal – 30
S Randiv - 44
UWMBCA Welegedara – 42

Since 2008 debut series, Mendis has averaged 40+ with the ball at home. While the last test did wonders for Herath and Welegedara's averages. Made Herath's respectable and Welegedara's gone from awful to poor.

Dilshan has the best average, he averages 26 with the ball.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
English bowling averages in Sri Lanka last 10 years – Sample size 3 tests or more…

Caddick – 25
Croft – 28
Flintoff – 24
Giles – 33
Gough – 19
Hoggard - 35
Monty – 50
Sidebottom – 63

Not bad with 5 players averaging better than their career average.

Collingwood averaged 33 with the ball in Sri Lanka but just took the 3 wickets.

Last edited:

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
English bowling averages in Sri Lanka last 10 years – Sample size 3 tests or more…

Caddick – 25
Croft – 28
Flintoff – 24
Giles – 33
Gough – 19
Hoggard - 35
Monty – 50
Sidebottom – 63

None of those guys in the team at the moment and haven't been in the team for ages excluding Monty who hasn't done too well.

Perhaps the next England tour here will be a bit more illuminating. They've not played too many games in the subcontinent yet and the last time they were in Sri Lanka, well...

Jacknife

International Captain
Himannv;2646228[B said:
]None of those guys in the team at the moment and haven't been in the team for ages excluding Monty who hasn't done too well.[/B]

Perhaps the next England tour here will be a bit more illuminating. They've not played too many games in the subcontinent yet and the last time they were in Sri Lanka, well...
What's that got to do with what he's saying, I think it clearly shows that England bowlers have bowled well in the past in SL and is not some fast bowling graveyard like it's painted out to be.
Good bowlers will adapt and bowl well almost anywhere and there's no denying this England side have improved year on year, since this teams been together.
I would back them to go in with the right plans even in SL, that the bowlers will stick to and execute.

Migara

International Coach

KP averages 25 in SL, Prior is good against spin accepted, but no where close to MJ asa batsman against spin. Bell, Morgan? Who are they against spin? Who are the better spinners they played? I don't even recognise those players.

Migara

International Coach

Caddick – 25
Croft – 28
Flintoff – 24
Giles – 33
Gough – 19
Hoggard - 35
Monty – 50
Sidebottom – 63

Players retired has no value with their stats.

Anderson has a history of struggling on slow pitches, but may do well in Kandy.
Tremlett expected to be good, but will only be a shadow of what he is in England
Braod will be crap on SL wickets.
Bresnan will do well if he gets reverse. But having said that Lankans are very good against reverse swing.
Finn - no one knows what will happen
Swann - will do well. But won't be as effective against Pakistan or other non-SC countries against SL.
Panesar was woeful with the ball.

So there's nothing much in it in terms of bowling. England bowlers are as inexperienced in Sl conditions as SL bowlers were in England.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
England bowlers are as inexperienced in Sl conditions as SL bowlers were in England.
Yeah, no doubt, but what England's bowlers have in their favour is that they aren't hilariously ****, which was a far bigger problem for Maharoof, Perera, Lakmal, Fernando, Herath and Mendis in England than their inexperience.

Migara

International Coach
What's that got to do with what he's saying, I think it clearly shows that England bowlers have bowled well in the past in SL and is not some fast bowling graveyard like it's painted out to be.
Good bowlers will adapt and bowl well almost anywhere and there's no denying this England side have improved year on year, since this teams been together.
I would back them to go in with the right plans even in SL, that the bowlers will stick to and execute.
Similarly I can show you that SL bowlers (even non-Murali ones) have done well against England at home. Similarly, put any SL bowler on home turf against England, they'd tend to do well.

FFS, Jayasuriya averages 22 against them with the ball, and even crap like Fernando averages 37 against them. Welegedara for record averages 19.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Similarly I can show you that SL bowlers (even non-Murali ones) have done well against England at home. Similarly, put any SL bowler on home turf against England, they'd tend to do well.

FFS, Jayasuriya averages 22 against them with the ball, and even crap like Fernando averages 37 against them. Welegedara for record averages 19.
But you can't do that unless you use a 1 match sample.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, no doubt, but what England's bowlers have in their favour is that they aren't hilariously ****, which was a far bigger problem for Maharoof, Perera, Lakmal, Fernando, Herath and Mendis in England than their inexperience.
TBF Lakmal has the potential to be a good bowler imo, certainly was a level above the Roof and Perera which wasn't difficult I may add.