• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
You'd have to think McDonald would be fodder on this track. Any ball that's not perfect will surely travel.

EDIT: To McGain at cover. :thumbsup:

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Mcdonald gets slapped for 2 boundaries but picks up a wicket in his first over.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Pressure on SA here now, 2 batsmen at the crease who haven't scored a run and the Australian bowlers finding some rhythm now.

Briony

International Debutant
I'm still surprised they didn't pick Albertus Morkel. If he smashed the likes of McGain for sixes it would demoralise the Aussies to an extent. They obviously don't think he's up to anything beyond T20 and 50 over cricket. He must be very jealous of his younger brother getting the jump on him and playing test cricket. Imagine they wouldn't get on that well. If McDonald does all right here he might pip North for the test berth though there's been a lot of talk of Marcus getting the nod to shore up the batting; they don't seem to trust McDonald too much with the bat yet, which is understandable.

pup11

International Coach
I really don't think Hilfenhaus has bowled much better judging by the cricinfo commentary. They've both produced a few edges with good balls and bowled a heap of tripe in between.
The major difference though has been Hilfenhaus has erred in length on the fuller side which is something one shouldn't, as him being a swing bowler he should try to bowl a fuller length, whereas on the other hand Bollinger has been bowling a shortish length so far, rather have him bowl half-volleys looking to swing the ball, rather than bowl half-trackers.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
He must be very jealous of his younger brother getting the jump on him and playing test cricket. Imagine they wouldn't get on that well.
Haha. If he's that bad of a person then he deserves not to play First Class Cricket. :p

pup11

International Coach
McDonald once again showing his ability to bowl tightly and chip in with a wicket, he could prove to be a very handy bowler for Ponting in this attack, given his ability to bottle up one end, but unfortunately his batting capabilities at this level could eventually prove to be his undoing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
McDonald once again showing his ability to bowl tightly and chip in with a wicket, he could prove to be a very handy bowler for Ponting in this attack, given his ability to bottle up one end, but unfortunately his batting capabilities at this level could eventually prove to be his undoing.
I reckon people are harsh about his batting in general TBH. We've only seen him play one Test innings and he's strung together consistent Shield seasons.

I definitely think he's good enough to be a Test #7. I have more pressing concerns over whether Haddin's good enough to be a Test #6 which casts a shaddow over whether we can actually carry McDonald, but that's not really his fault as such.

Briony

International Debutant
I reckon people are harsh about his batting in general TBH. We've only seen him play one Test innings and he's strung together consistent Shield seasons.

I definitely think he's good enough to be a Test #7. I have more pressing concerns over whether Haddin's good enough to be a Test #6 which casts a shaddow over whether we can actually carry McDonald, but that's not really his fault as such.

He showed some composure to regroup after Morkel shook him up a bit with some vicious short deliveries.

pup11

International Coach

Haddin batting at #6 in test cricket seriously weakens the batting line-up imo, he has stepped-up brilliantly in the recent past, but to expect him to keep wickets and then bat in the top 6 with any sort of consistency is asking for way too much.

Though that's seems to be the only possible solution if Aussie opt to play McDonald, but a lot of emphasis would be on the top-order then to make sure they perform consistently.

Anyways if McDonald is picked he should be persisted with, atleast for this series, but i don't think his chances of succeeding in South African conditions with the bat, against top-quality fast bowl are too high.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm still surprised they didn't pick Albertus Morkel. If he smashed the likes of McGain for sixes it would demoralise the Aussies to an extent. They obviously don't think he's up to anything beyond T20 and 50 over cricket. He must be very jealous of his younger brother getting the jump on him and playing test cricket. Imagine they wouldn't get on that well. If McDonald does all right here he might pip North for the test berth though there's been a lot of talk of Marcus getting the nod to shore up the batting; they don't seem to trust McDonald too much with the bat yet, which is understandable.
You really do talk out of your ass. :)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like McGain will not be playing in the first Test if he continues at this rate. 1/68 off 9 really is not a great effort.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So what part of that don't you agree with? Aren't McDonald and North in a race for a spot? Aren't they wary of McDonald's batting at test level?
The part where the Morkel brothers don't get on because Morne plays test cricket and Albie is very jealous of that. I stopped reading there.

Briony

International Debutant
The part where the Morkel brothers don't get on because Morne plays test cricket and Albie is very jealous of that. I stopped reading there.

Well wouldn't you be pissed off if your much younger and taller brother played test cricket and you're unlikely ever to, despite being a very talented cricketer?