• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While I think he's horrible, Mark Nicholas' book was useful in revealing a bit about the philosophy of commentating in the Channel 9 environment. Referred to a time early in his tenure with C9 (back when he was just kinda annoying) when he was commentating on a game that was winding down in cold and miserable conditions. He said as much on the air, and Kerry Packer rang him up and gave him a bollocking for not promoting the game. That came back to mind yesterday when Philander got out, and I think Ian Healy shouted "that's a huge wicket for Australia" - which it of course wasn't. Philander hadn't been at the crease for long and the damage had been largely done by that point. But with Channel 9, every wicket and every run has to be 'special' so that the punters will keep their eyeballs on the screen.
I quite like Nicholas, he comes into the SA commentary box, so does Pietersen and AB.... all good. And I don`t have to deal with the channel 9 boys club. Only guy that I truly dislike is Haysman..

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Alarming how often he keeps injuring that shoulder. Thought he'd finally managed to fully recover after that NZ series.

Starfighter

Oh fmd, it would just be the limit of Steyn wrecked his shoulder permanently practicing some stupid delivery for t20 matches. ffs.

Spark

Global Moderator
Okay I posted that jinx post as a joke but kind of disturbing the number of people here apparently doing it seriously

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn injured is a devastating blow on this difficult tour of Australia. Quite analogous to Tim Southee's injury on the first day in Brisbane when NZ toured.

:ph34r:

StephenZA

One thing about Rabada is that he likes adversity... he bowled his best after Steyn and Philander got injured last year.

Stace

First Class Debutant
you know 1 series has ruined plenty of careers. Congrats for finding one exception, bravo
Haha no just no. If a bowler or batsman is legitimately good they will come back from 1 bad series.

So you've gone on record as saying AUS will "ruin Rabada's career", will mark that down.