• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe not, but it's international cricket and with the pink ball doing what it does at night, it's a seamers paradise. Australia are stupid for playing Lyon.
You realize we not playing Morkel... we are playing Shamsi our wrist spinner as a more attacking option than Maharaj the more holding option....

SeamUp

International Coach
Happy for him, could cause Aus real problems if it spins... tough on Maharaj, done nothing wrong.
The Australians struggled to pick him in the ODI series but a lot of batsman do for that matter. May be young but certainly been around the block although you are a bit worried how quickly a young wrist-spinner can settle. Also , the fact that this will be his only test for quite a while after this too. But in saying that, he is quite an abrasive sort who likes a challenge.

First Parktown Boy to play test cricket since isolation I reckon. More of a rugby school although Wayne Ferreira (tennis) and Bradley Carnell (football) went there. Previous Protea/Springbok cricketers from Parktown Boys : David Ironside, Ronnie Grieveson & Bob Newson.

But I suppose when you have these cricketing schools to compete with :
KES (Paul Winslow, Ali Bacher, Kevin McKenzie, Ray Jennings, Hugh Page, Adam Bacher, Neil McKenzie, Graeme Smith, Stephen Cook, Quinton de Kock)
St Stithians (Roy Pienaar, David Terbrugge, Kagiso Rabada, Wiaan Mulder, Grant Elliott, Michael Lumb)
St Johns (Bruce Mitchell, Russell Endean, Clive Rice)
Jeppe Boys (More so in the old days with Jock Cameron, Norman Gordon, Bob Catterall, Cyril Vincent, Athol & Eric Rowan & probably the biggest Neil Adcock)
St Davids (Temba Bavuma)

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook is without doubt SA's least impressive batsman for mine. Thought he looked terrible against NZ but just had bucket-loads of luck.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You realize we not playing Morkel... we are playing Shamsi our wrist spinner as a more attacking option than Maharaj the more holding option....
Was that the official justification? Or are they just giving him a go in a dead rubber? Could have used Maharaj's extra batting tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
Was that the official justification? Or are they just giving him a go in a dead rubber? Could have used Maharaj's extra batting tbh.
I kept hearing that, given the seam on the pink ball being hard to pick up, that he was causing all sorts of problems in the nets.