• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

cnerd123

likes this
Not sure if I head correctly but apparently umpires arrive a week before the series starts? What the **** for lol.
Usually before any major tournament the umpires need to meet up before the kickoff to discuss things like new laws/playing conditions, how to enforce certain vague laws in a uniform manner as a unit (rather than each of them having their own interpretation), requirements from the organiser/broadcaster regarding stuff like start times, overrates, etc, pick up their uniforms for the series, sometimes even work out who is standing at each game if that hasn't already been decided. On top of that, the local boards might want to get these Elite Panel umpires to hold workshops with the local umpires, to share experience and knowledge. May even rope them into standing at a local game.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poor shot from Markram... needs to consider that he is an opener, maybe a little to attacking early on in his innings.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Usually before any major tournament the umpires need to meet up before the kickoff to discuss things like new laws/playing conditions, how to enforce certain vague laws in a uniform manner as a unit (rather than each of them having their own interpretation), requirements from the organiser/broadcaster regarding stuff like start times, overrates, etc, pick up their uniforms for the series, sometimes even work out who is standing at each game if that hasn't already been decided. On top of that, the local boards might want to get these Elite Panel umpires to hold workshops with the local umpires, to share experience and knowledge. May even rope them into standing at a local game.
Cool, stuff that can be done over skype. Workshops are a good idea. Hopefully Dharmasena isn't in charge of any.

cnerd123

likes this
I mean, they would have to come atleast 2 days beforehand anyways to shake off any jetlag, get the uniform, meet the other officials and take care of whatever formalities need to be taken care of.

I expect if they're coming down a week in advance it means they have more extra-curricular stuff to attend to.

cnerd123

likes this
I've also heard that some umpires like to stand in at net sessions - to get a feel for the bowlers' actions, get their eye warmed up, and build a rapport with the players. Don't know how many actually do this though.

Marius

International Debutant
I've also heard that some umpires like to stand in at net sessions - to get a feel for the bowlers' actions, get their eye warmed up, and build a rapport with the players. Don't know how many actually do this though.
Simon Taufel used to do that I believe.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised that Lyon is bowling already.... don't think this ball is going to reverse anywhere near as it did in the first 2 Tests. We shall have to see.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God, why the **** did cricket.com.au change their scorecard and put scorecard on a different tab to comms? Was the one thing they had over Crapinfo and now they've blown it away.