• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No doubt.

But if Harbhajan did what he did yesterday every game, would he be doing his job? It was more a philisophical question regarding whether a leading bowler can actually perform well without taking wickets.
Oh if he bowls like yesterday it would be fabulous.

But if he bowled like that he would also eventually get wickets. Its when batsmen are tied down that they start taking risks and the chance of getting wickets improve.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Oh if he bowls like yesterday it would be fabulous.

But if he bowled like that he would also eventually get wickets. Its when batsmen are tied down that they start taking risks and the chance of getting wickets improve.
right mate...

pup11

International Coach
Vengsarkar has made a really stupid comment, how can he question the Big 3's (Tendulkar, Ganguly and Dravid) place in the side on the basis of 2 bad games they had against the world champions, making such a comment in between the series is something that's definitly not going to help the Indian team as such a comment would only put added pressure on the senior pro's.
Vengsarkar is the same guy who said in the past that there isn't much talent in Indian domestic cricket to select players who can perform at the highest level, and now he feels likes of Raina and Badrinath can replace greats like Sachin, Rahul and Sourav!
He has also blasted apart Powar which was really harsh on him, Powar did well with the ball whenever he got his chances and 2 bad outings against the Aussies (who basically destroyed spinners) doesn't make him a bad bowler.

howardj

International Coach
Saw the replay of Yuvraj innings in the last match - what an awesome player. For mine, I would pick him in the Test team ahead of Ganguly out here in Australia. Gangers, if selected, will be taken to the cleaners by Lee.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've always maintained that Yuvraj is not a Test quality batsman, but even I must concede that he has been pushing hard now and he has been a consistent performer in ODIs, which is the main quality I look for.

He should certainly get a shot now, and get a good solid run of about 6-8 Tests (none of this BS about picking and dropping the next game).

pasag

RTDAS
I agree, I know many say that ODI form should have no bearing on Tests but for me form on an international scale cannot be ignored. If he fails, drop him (after a good run of Tests like Manan said) but don't ignore a batsman in good nick. Not at the expense of Ganguly though, no way does he deserved to be dropped.

pup11

International Coach
Only player that Yuvraj can replace in the current test team is probably D.Karthik, i know it seems to be a bit harsh on him since he has done well in England but Yuvraj in good form is a far more dangerous player than Karthik, but i doubt whether Yuvraj can open in test matches.
Frankly speaking i don't think there is vacant spot in the Indian test batting line-up, so Yuvraj probably might have to wait a bit longer to get his chance.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Only player that Yuvraj can replace in the current test team is probably D.Karthik, i know it seems to be a bit harsh on him since he has done well in England but Yuvraj in good form is a far more dangerous player than Karthik, but i doubt whether Yuvraj can open in test matches.
Frankly speaking i don't think there is vacant spot in the Indian test batting line-up, so Yuvraj probably might have to wait a bit longer to get his chance.
Which is quite harsh for yuvraj...he seems in tremendous form ATM and is probably india's best batsman ATM as well....i think india are missing a trick if he is not included in the test team....i reckon he should replace Ganguly TBH!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not at the expense of Ganguly though, no way does he deserved to be dropped.
Well, there is Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar, one of which need to be dropped if Yuvraj can get in. Both Ganguly and Tendulkar have been amongst the runs in England. So the only person you can drop based on form is Dravid...and that would be beyond stupid.

And there is Laxman, but he has done well in the last five Tests too...so I have no idea who you'd drop. Dhoni and let Karthik open and keep as well? That would be a bit harsh on Karthik.

You can't drop Jaffer and Karthik as they're a big reason why we even won the series in England (along with Zaheer and RP).

Laxman would be my choice, as he averages around 40 in the last 10 tests, and though that's decent, I think Yuvraj in his current form would give us a better chance to average more.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Well, there is Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar, one of which need to be dropped if Yuvraj can get in. Both Ganguly and Tendulkar have been amongst the runs in England. So the only person you can drop based on form is Dravid...and that would be beyond stupid.

And there is Laxman, but he has done well in the last five Tests too...so I have no idea who you'd drop. Dhoni and let Karthik open and keep as well? That would be a bit harsh on Karthik.

You can't drop Jaffer and Karthik as they're a big reason why we even won the series in England (along with Zaheer and RP).

Laxman would be my choice, as he averages around 40 in the last 10 tests, and though that's decent, I think Yuvraj in his current form would give us a better chance to average more.
fair enough...but yuvraj HAS to be in tests now...he isnt young anymore and could be a great asset for india!

Nishant

International 12th Man
He is fairly young, he's only 25 isn't he ?
not that young TBH...you dont have to be a grey-haired old player to play test cricket TBH....25 is a perfect age to play test cricket. He has time to get into his best form for test cricket. Whats the point of tryin to get into tests at the age of like 27??? I know he may have 7 yrs left or something...but still...he has enough quality to get into any test team right now..let alone india!

Woodster

International Captain
Whats the point of trying to get into Tests at 27 ? Surely that is around the age, certainly great teams like Australia, look to select a player. Someone that has proved his worth on a consistent basis in the first-class game.

At 25, I would still class him as a young player, with a lot still to learn in the Test game. If he is deemed good enough, as I gather a lot of people think he is, then age is of no concern. I am sure his chance will come, but he may need to await a retirement from one of the big players.

Treeny

Cricket Spectator
not that young TBH...you dont have to be a grey-haired old player to play test cricket TBH....25 is a perfect age to play test cricket. He has time to get into his best form for test cricket. Whats the point of tryin to get into tests at the age of like 27??? I know he may have 7 yrs left or something...but still...he has enough quality to get into any test team right now..let alone india!
I would pick Yuvraj over players like Karthick or Jaffer in any form of the game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'd rather have a proven 33 year old make a debut and give you a few good years than a not-so-ready 23 year old give you ten mediocre years.

adharcric

International Coach
Yuvraj deserves a shot but does Laxman deserve to be dropped? More importantly, how do we plan to take Badrinath to Australia with five middle-order options already in place? You surely cannot keep him out much longer. Chopra will likely head to Australia as well, along with Jaffer and Karthik. Nine batsmen?