• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
lol, idiotic stuff from Symonds, but if only we had the team to beat them and shut them up........
but you don't even need to beat them to shut them up. All people need to do is say - "That's his opinion, he's entitled to it, I don't agree, and I'm looking forward to the series". Australia's opponents start doing that consistently rather than getting sucked in and I reckon the Aussies would stop using it as a tactic.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
but you don't even need to beat them to shut them up. All people need to do is say - "That's his opinion, he's entitled to it, I don't agree, and I'm looking forward to the series". Australia's opponents start doing that consistently rather than getting sucked in and I reckon the Aussies would stop using it as a tactic.
let's see... generally, India tend to play better when they are fired up.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Agreed, though they seem to rarely use it on NZ. England and India seem to be quite swept up in it, the Sri Lankan team on a whole I feel hasn't been sucked in (though Murali has been for slightly different reasons), I don't mind it as a tactic at all. Mind games just go hand in hand with the game, they think they will win so they say they will, a good attitude.

pup11

International Coach
I don't see much wrong in what Symonds said, Indians really went a bit over the top with their celebrations, yeah it was great thing for India to go there and win the T20 world championship but the celebrations that have followed after that gives one an impression as if India has won the real world cup itself.
I think people in India go over the top whenever India fails or does well, the kind of protest that were on show after India's early exit from the world cup is a fine example of that.
The same people who are all praise for this Indian team would be blasting them apart if India goes onto lose this series.
Anyways whatever Roy and Punter said in the last few days is just a part of their mind-games a tactic which they have used very successfully for some time now, and the Aussies have always been good enough to walk the walk and talk the talk!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The same people who are all praise for this Indian team would be blasting them apart if India goes onto lose this series.
That's true, but it seemed to me that Symonds was criticising the players to an extent, too. And also, when someone says something like that, it's bound to rile the SJSs, honestbharanis et al of this World for obvious reasons.

pup11

International Coach
A very funny incident took place with Punter today during a function he visited, he has a brush with homosexulism a fan came on stage and hugged Ponting (till then all was fine) but suddenly that man tried to kiss Ponting on his cheek :lol: :lol: and Ponting had the presence of mind to free himself from his grasp in time and in the end he handled the situation pretty well (though he looked shocked he still managed to keep a smile on his face) !!
But i still can't help but laugh after watching Ricky in such a predicament. :lol:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see much wrong in what Symonds said, Indians really went a bit over the top with their celebrations, yeah it was great thing for India to go there and win the T20 world championship but the celebrations that have followed after that gives one an impression as if India has won the real world cup itself.
I think people in India go over the top whenever India fails or does well, the kind of protest that were on show after India's early exit from the world cup is a fine example of that.
Anyways whatever Roy and Punter said in the last few days is just a part of their mind-games a tactic which they have used very successfully for some time now, and the Aussies have always been good enough to walk the walk and talk the talk!
Of course they went over board. Completely nuts if you ask me. I have said it again and again. Our masses are crazy when it comes to handling both vistory and defeat. So no problems on that account. But why should the players get affected ?

You can criticise, as we ourselves do, the extreme over reaction to sporting achievement but you can find it crazy and amusing. But when someone does crazy things about their own 'stuff' why should it make Symonds say things like

"Something gets triggered inside of you, something is burning inside of you — it is your will for success or your animal instinct that wants to bring another team down,"

Tell you what, while Indians reactions were excessive (and have always been) Symonds reaction makes me concentrate on just a couple of words in the sentence above "animal instincts" and it is not meant as a compliment.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Ffs why even try to defend Symonds. He was obviously conflating two issues, that of Indian fans celebrating wildly, and that of the Indian team who were not. His comments and the usage of 'us' vs 'them' is pretty poor, to say the least, not to mention just plain wrong.

pup11

International Coach
I think Roy is that kind of a person, he is an aggressive bloke and he is not the best when it comes down to giving diplomatic statements, he has never been too good with words but what i can really make out of those words of his is that the Aussies mean business (they probably want to send out a message that it doesn't matter whether they are the T20 champions or not they are still the best cricket team in the world) and at the end of the day that means we are gonna experience one hell of a series, that is if India can raise the bar of their game like they did in the semi-final of the T20 world championship against Australia.

pup11

International Coach
Btw, how many times do you see Roy get interviewed before a tournament like this, its just that the India media has no-time for news and they have all the time for gossips and scoops, Roy is a volatile character and discipline has not been his forte, so i think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion.
I have had enough of this war of words, i just can't wait for the series to get started, so let the games begin!

pup11

International Coach
Btw, who is the makeshift vice-captain of Australia?
Since Gilly is gonna be the captain in the absence of Ponting in the first few games.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Ffs why even try to defend Symonds. He was obviously conflating two issues, that of Indian fans celebrating wildly, and that of the Indian team who were not. His comments and the usage of 'us' vs 'them' is pretty poor, to say the least, not to mention just plain wrong.
Ok, Dasa has decided this is a stupid issue, just like the Lillee thread, so we should all just keep quiet.

Anyways, I think another element here might be something that Gideon Haigh has mentioned in a couple of articles, that the Aussie team, rightly or wrongly, felt that other teams were more keen on the T20 WC than the Australians because they, accurately in the end, felt that it was a game they could beat the Aussies at, and that the Aussies felt the heat of a few snide comments and general ill-will when they did actually stumble in the championship. According to Haigh this did actually annoy them a bit, so maybe that fed into Symonds comments about people getting carried away.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ok, Dasa has decided this is a stupid issue, just like the Lillee thread, so we should all just keep quiet.
Not fair. Quite apart from the fact that I agree completely with what he says on both cases (I even said pretty much the same thing to Sean vis-a-vis the Lillee thing just a day or so before he did, and I've already posted my thoughts on why Symonds was ill-advised to say such things), you should know Dasa pretty well I'd think and he's not one to preach at people.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
If Dasa has an issue with my tongue-in-cheek remark, I'll discuss it with him. Otherwise, I'll just say that I have always thought Dasa was a top poster and fair guy, but both of these comments have been a bit too tetchy for mine - maybe he's having a grouchy day, or maybe I'm just having a sensitive day.