• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"You can't bat to save a Test match" two overs into Day 2 may just about be the worst piece of commentary ever
It's just the most brain dead thing I think I've ever heard in cricket commentary, and I was there for Warne's "What's your favourite pizza?" poll.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah agree with all of this though it's also a balancing act to an extent because if he brings the field up and there's some attacking batting for about a dozen overs then the deficit is a long way towards being wiped off in short order. I'd think once it became apparent Aus were going to accumulate rather than blast away then bringing the field up would have made a lot more sense. Aus blocked boundaries effectively in 04 in India to stifle momentum and it's a tiny, fast scoring ground with a small total to play with. I can see it's a real balancing act for him but the strike rotation hurt India a lot.

I think I was more aggrieved at the lack of bowling rotations than the actual fields though.
True but none of that means you set that field for the very first ball. At least force the batsmen to get themselves in or take risks at least a couple of times before you put 3 men out in the deep and only 2 catchers, especially on a wicket that has been helping spinners.

Spark

Global Moderator
Look maybe this will work but this is the sort of plan that you pull out for one of those absolute highways that the Pakistan games got in the UAE in the 2010s, not the second morning of a square turner when spin has taken every wicket in the game so far and the morning session has been the moving session in the series.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If every run is double according to Haydos, why is Handscomb S/R a problem? 18 of 53 isn't that bad. Comparable to Kohli yesterday.

Spark

Global Moderator
Kamal Jain : "Keeper should break the stumps if he feels like there's an edge because even if the umpire gives it not out there can be an ultraedge check (without reviewing) while checking for stumping"
People keep complaining about this without reaching the obvious conclusion which is that the third umpire should be able to check anything he likes for any reason in order to get decisions right. The extra time taken to get things right is well worth it given how many umpiring errors are still in the game, even with DRS.

Gob

International Coach
Just watched the extended highlights. Tbh I really love watching cricket on wickets like this.

I'm now finally believer in "Khawaja is properly good against spin," too. Such a monumental late-career improvement from someone who used to struggle against part-time offies on Australian pitches.
Was Martyn always good against spin given where he was brought up?

R!TTER

State Regular
People keep complaining about this without reaching the obvious conclusion which is that the third umpire should be able to check anything he likes for any reason in order to get decisions right. The extra time taken to get things right is well worth it given how many umpiring errors are still in the game, even with DRS.
No it's not! Not only are you gaming the system because you can but the stupid umpires are sending basically everything upstairs when there's 0 chance of a stumping because they don't want some backlash against their name.

Funnily enough they totally sh!t the bed when standing in front of the stumps ?‍♀

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Kamal Jain : "Keeper should break the stumps if he feels like there's an edge because even if the umpire gives it not out there can be an ultraedge check (without reviewing) while checking for stumping" Source: Cricinfo
Yes, but it is the third umpire doing ultra edge catch checks while the field umpire referral is for stumping which people find issue to. Don't you think that is an error in the book?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yes, but it is the third umpire doing ultra edge catch checks while the field umpire referral is for stumping which people find issue to. Don't you think that is an error in the book?
I mean if that's the protocol than that's the protocol. I don't think it's anything new, it's been part of the system for a few years now. Do you think they shouldn't check for it?

I guess my view is that getting the decision right >>>>>>>> all other considerations.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean if that's the protocol than that's the protocol. I don't think it's anything new, it's been part of the system for a few years now. Do you think they shouldn't check for it?
Yes, they definitely shouldn't be checking with Ultraedge for a stumping referral. That opens up to gaming the system by the fielding side like RITTER has pointed out.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yes, they definitely shouldn't be checking with Ultraedge for a stumping referral. That opens up to gaming the system by the fielding side like RITTER has pointed out.
I guess my point is that the "system" should be abolished and everything should be checked regardless if the on-field umpire or even the third umpire wants to check it.

EDIT: Which is equivalent to my long long held view that DRS referrals should be unlimited. Then there's no complaints about "system gaming".

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No it's not! Not only are you gaming the system because you can but the stupid umpires are sending basically everything upstairs when there's 0 chance of a stumping because they don't want some backlash against their name.

Funnily enough they totally sh!t the bed when standing in front of the stumps ?‍♀
But if they're doing that it's bad umpiring. The one yesterday with Kohl (iirc) which wasn't out - the umpire should have just said no ffs. There was never a need to refer that. He was in by a metre and had his weight on both feet. He didn't even slightly over balance.