• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I just have more confidence in a quality batsman working out a flaw in his game than I do in a terrible batsman suddenly becoming a good one, I guess.
Best example of this is Damien Martyn. Apparently really struggled against spin early in his career (moreso at first-class level) which fitted in with the stereotype of WA bats being only good with pace. Yet was one of the main reasons why Australia won in Sri Lanka and India in 2004 because he’d developed a quality technique to play against spin.

burr

State Vice-Captain
This is just confirming for me how useless all-rounders are. You have to be able to hold your spot in the side as either a batsman or a bowler. Neither Marsh nor Maxwell tick a box here. Australia would be far better off picking Khawaja and hoping SL was a temporary aberration in form.
Exactly. Khawaja may well fail but at least he's a batsman. Pick a batsman for God's sake. The way he's been treated is actually really shoddy.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fox sports' headline 'Renshaw excels during baptism by tandoor'.

Certainly up there with headlines I've seen.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly. Khawaja may well fail but at least he's a batsman. Pick a batsman for God's sake. The way he's been treated is actually really shoddy.
Were he to play, do they run with two quicks, two spinners and get some part time stuff out of Warner and TPC? I can't see any other alternative to that tbh.

Debris

International 12th Man
And he has usually been axed so they can pick Shaun Marsh, ffs.

Debris

International 12th Man
Were he to play, do they run with two quicks, two spinners and get some part time stuff out of Warner and TPC? I can't see any other alternative to that tbh.
Pretty much and I have never really seen a lot of evidence that a 5th bowler helps a lot in winning a match. The part-time spinners are good enough to not be free runs.

That Matt Renshaw looks like a strapping young bloke. Maybe he could be persuaded to bowl a few overs of medium pace in the Walters mode.

Burgey

Pretty much and I have never really seen a lot of evidence that a 5th bowler helps a lot in winning a match. The part-time spinners are good enough to not be free runs.

That Matt Renshaw looks like a strapping young bloke. Maybe he could be persuaded to bowl a few overs of medium pace in the Walters mode.
After watching yesterday, I think Renshaw's style could be best described as skiddy.

Aus would love to have someone like a Tom Moody around the set up right now.

TheJediBrah

Maxwell is simply a better batsman in these conditions though. Regardless if he's an "all rounder".

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Theoretically he is, but he's like the anti-Ashwin when it comes to brains and his form is just piss lately. Not to mention his dismissals in those practice games.

Agar is the sane choice if we want a spinning all-rounder at this point from the squad, has more on the bat than Glenn right now too let alone the ball.

TheJediBrah

Not sure what is backing up that opinion. Maxwell's batting record on the sub-continent is even worse than Khawaja's record.
He's played like 3 games in dreadful circumstances

Theoretically he is, but he's like the anti-Ashwin when it comes to brains and his form is just piss lately. Not to mention his dismissals in those practice games.

Agar is the sane choice if we want a spinning all-rounder at this point from the squad, has more on the bat than Glenn right now too let alone the ball.
don't be absurd

Picking Agar would be a lot easier if someone in the top 6 could take the gloves
Too bad you can't wear keeping gloves with combs for hands

adub

International Captain
1. If they insist on having a medium pace bowling all rounder fly Moz over. Yes Marsh offers more with the ball, but the ****s in career best form with the stick. Would provide solid enough fifth bowler option and should be easily good for more runs than MMarsh.

2. If Lyon gets carted Maxwell and Bird in for MMarsh and Lyon should be seriously considered.

3. Uzi is a bit unlucky and depending on how the four front line bowlers go perhaps bringing him back in for MMarsh would be a goer. BUT, it wasn't just in the SC he was lost against spin. He had nfi against Swann who got him 5 out of 8 innings. Root also got him once. Broad and Anderson got him once, but Broad's one was over 6 of the match (ie before Swann had a chance). So I'm not super concerned about him carrying drinks. He's probably more likely to work it out than MMarsh, but only very slightly more likely.

4. It would be very interesting to see what Renshaw is like as a trundler. From his height if he just rolled up and banged it hard into the pitch on a goodish length he could be a handful on uneven decks even if he was only around 110-120 clicks.