• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

Shri

Mr. Glass
What? No. They cannot be compared under the same criteria.Stokes is so much better as a bowler that it is not funny and he hasn't hit his stride yet. Once the numbers start reflecting his obvious talent, he will leave Mtthews way behind as a bowler. But Angelo is the better bat though.

srbhkshk

International Captain
What? No. They cannot be compared under the same criteria.Stokes is so much better as a bowler that it is not funny and he hasn't hit his stride yet. Once the numbers start reflecting his obvious talent, he will leave Mtthews way behind as a bowler. But Angelo is the better bat though.
Yeah but you don't need bag full of wickets from your seamers in India, you need them to keep the runs down and pick the occasional wicket, Mathews can do that as well as Stokes and he is a far better Batsmen in SC conditions, anyway not disagreeing that Stokes is a far superior genuine wicket taker but he is no Stark (in that he can make the pitch irrelevant just by pace), I just don't think that skill of his is as important or effective in Indian conditions, If you are depending on your pacers to take a fifer here, then you have probably lost already.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think selecting Matthews over Stokes for a side to take on India in Indian conditions is the worst idea. I dont think it means Angelo is the better allrounder either. It is just a choice based on the team composition you would need.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mathews has done a lot more in his career than Stokes so far. Too early to make that comparison.

Right now Stokes might be better, that's a different argument.

Kirkut

International Regular
You're thinking we'll actually get a 5th day finish?

That's a bit of a stretch.
When odds are against a specific team, the team may lose, but if odds against a team is a huge number, that team ends up winning. It's weird, but I have experienced this many times practically, there are invisible energies in nature at work.

indiaholic

International Captain
[h=1]“Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”[/h]

Burgey

[h=1]“Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”[/h]
Jeez you're feeling bold if you're going to call it a million to one shot in a two horse race

Zinzan

I dont think selecting Matthews over Stokes for a side to take on India in Indian conditions is the worst idea. I dont think it means Angelo is the better allrounder either. It is just a choice based on the team composition you would need.
Agree, I went for Stokes btw, just thought Mathews deserved a mention if it's played in the SC, Some funny defensiveness above :p

TheJediBrah

When odds are against a specific team, the team may lose, but if odds against a team is a huge number, that team ends up winning. It's weird, but I have experienced this many times practically, there are invisible energies in nature at work.
hopefully there are a lot of invisible energies during this series and they work very hard

Zinzan

Highest odds I can find for India to win the series is $1.16 & lowest for Australia to win .. $11

The average of the bookies seem to have India and $1.14 and Australia and $13, with about $8 for the draw.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing is, Australia doesn't need to win the series. Going 1-1 with two draws would be enough for us to retain the trophy.

What are the odds of a washout?

TheJediBrah

The thing is, Australia doesn't need to win the series. Going 1-1 with two draws would be enough for us to retain the trophy.

What are the odds of a washout?
Does anyone really care who "retains the trophy" though? Other than the Ashes people tend to think of these as just individual series IMO

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anyone really care who "retains the trophy" though? Other than the Ashes people tend to think of these as just individual series IMO
I care *shrug*.

Honestly I don't think we have a hope in hell but that's the beauty of sport. Sometimes the underdog does manage to get up.

I think our preparation has been excellent this time around. We should have brought Hartley and Neville instead of Wade but other than that I think the squad is good too.

I'm excited for this series because it will be a huge challenge and will be the making it breaking of a number of our players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Australia have 5 or 6 in their 11 who can be match winners on their own, in Indian conditions. If that does not scream out tough series, I dont know what will. I would even say they start as 40% favorites to win a few games, esp. if the pitches dont turn like during the England series.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Australia have 5 or 6 in their 11 who can be match winners on their own, in Indian conditions. If that does not scream out tough series, I dont know what will. I would even say they start as 40% favorites to win a few games, esp. if the pitches dont turn like during the England series.
Oh ffs, there were no turners in the Eng or NZ series except for Mumbai, which was tamer than normal anyway. They were just normal tracks that deteriorated naturally. Aus will get smashed because they, like the others recently, will be looking for something and preparing for something that just isn't there: too much turn.

Daemon

Oh ffs, there were no turners in the Eng or NZ series except for Mumbai, which was tamer than normal anyway. They were just normal tracks that deteriorated naturally. Aus will get smashed because they, like the others recently, will be looking for something and preparing for something that just isn't there: too much turn.
Hb was saying they didn't turn v England