• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
tooextracool said:
if you honestly think that the inclusion of Thorpe wouldnt have made this side better,then you'd be quite deluded.
It would, but not at the expense of Trescothick, who (incidentally) is the series' highest run-scorer on either side.

tooextracool

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
It would, but not at the expense of Trescothick, who (incidentally) is the series' highest run-scorer on either side.
oh he has, again on the benefit of hindsight. no one in their right mind would have suggested that tresco is worth his place in the side over thorpe before the series.
equally i'd be extremely surprised if thorpe had not averaged more, had he to play a fully fit mcgrath in only 1 test, a completely useless gillespie and an almost useless kaspa and yet benefitted from at least 1 let off(no-ball or dropped catch) almost everytime he scored over 50.

greg

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
so dropping their best batsman at the start of this series and causing him to retire isnt a glaring mistake then? and just because england are 2-1 up it wont change the fact that it was a very poor move. collingwood in SA was pure genius, and then dropping him despite not playing a single game takes real guts. Pietersen not playing against b'desh, and then playing against australia thereafter. and the countless ODI blunders they've made in the last year.
and if you think that key over bell was a poor move, then you obviously didnt watch a ball of last summer.
And you obviously didn't read my post properly.

greg

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
oh he has, again on the benefit of hindsight. no one in their right mind would have suggested that tresco is worth his place in the side over thorpe before the series.
equally i'd be extremely surprised if thorpe had not averaged more, had he to play a fully fit mcgrath in only 1 test, a completely useless gillespie and an almost useless kaspa and yet benefitted from at least 1 let off(no-ball or dropped catch) almost everytime he scored over 50.
This is a bizarre argument considering they occupy completely different positions in the batting order, but regardless Tresco's catching at first slip would give him a pretty large edge.

tooextracool

International Coach
greg said:
This is a bizarre argument considering they occupy completely different positions in the batting order, but regardless Tresco's catching at first slip would give him a pretty large edge.
vaughan can open the batting if necessary, which was what my argument was based on before the series.
if trescos fielding gives him an edge in that department, then thorpes batting, experience and performance against Australia gives him a major edge over tresco.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
reverseswing said:
Why is Hayden playing?? Its been 120 years since an Australian player has gone 20 innings(or something like that) without passing 70. he either fails again or scores a hundred and keeps Hussey or Rogers or Jaques out of the team longer
word....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well now the big pigy is fit it seems as if Australia will go in with an unchanged batting line-up unchanged & all the speculations of picking 5 bowlers, Watson or a twin spin attack. But if Australia do go in with 5 bowlers(Pigeon, Bing, Warne, Sling, Magilla) it may well & make their chances of beating England even better, but we will see wont be going to school tommorow until this test match is over tommorow just cant come any sooner.........

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
aussie said:
You're his biggest fan aren't you? What happend to "Hayden will get a hundred next game no problem"?

You'll learn over the years, like we have, that one must support your (adopted) country and players through thick and thin.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
You're his biggest fan aren't you? What happend to "Hayden will get a hundred next game no problem"?

You'll learn over the years, like we have, that one must support your (adopted) country and players through thick and thin.
yea i am one of the biggest Matty Hayden fans on here but i never mention that phrase "Hayden will get a hundred next game no problem"?, i was backing him thats all but what the bloke is saying is fact if Hayden doesn't do something big this could well & be his last test & Hussey or Jaques will be opening with JL this Australian summer.....

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
aussie said:
yea i am one of the biggest Matty Hayden fans on here but i never mention that phrase "Hayden will get a hundred next game no problem"?, i was backing him thats all but what the bloke is saying is fact if Hayden doesn't do something big this could well & be his last test & Hussey or Jaques will be opening with JL this Australian summer.....
You've backed Haydos to come good after every failure, and now you want him dropped, what has changed? Interestingly, I reckon Hayden may actually score some runs on this wicket at the Oval, so if I am backing him to get a few (as an England fan) maybe you should be too.

FWIW Hussey looks a fine player, not seen Jaques yet mesen.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
You've backed Haydos to come good after every failure, and now you want him dropped, what has changed? Interestingly, I reckon Hayden may actually score some runs on this wicket at the Oval, so if I am backing him to get a few (as an England fan) maybe you should be too.

FWIW Hussey looks a fine player, not seen Jaques yet mesen.
i'm still backing him mate & i never said i wanted him drop i'm just saying if he doesn't come good in this test he has to make way for either Hussey or Jaques....

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
aussie said:
i'm still backing him mate & i never said i wanted him drop i'm just saying if he doesn't come good in this test he has to make way for either Hussey or Jaques....

Natural progression dictates that he will, eventually give way to either of the players mentioned, just as Marcus will to Cook one day. I just find it surprising that you want Hayden out so quickly, having been such a supporter of him so far; I don't see Linda calling for Martyn's head so readilly after a few failures (she may want to do something else with him regarding "head", but hey). For example Tres has failed a few times during his career, but bugger me I backed him to come good again and he didn't disappoint bless him.

Balls to it anyway, we can't go on all night, you aren't Richard and I ain't TEC :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
Who would actually have placed the 2 up against each other for selection?

And how was Trescothick going to be dropped after 448 runs @ 44.80 in SA?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
But if Australia do go in with 5 bowlers(Pigeon, Bing, Warne, Sling, Magilla) it may well & make their chances of beating England even better,
By having a tail that starts at 6?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
By having a tail that starts at 6?
Should be an even contest then as Eng have selected a bowler that cant bowl (Giles), an all-rounder that's not much good at anything (Collingwood), a batsman that cant bat (Bell) and a keeper .........

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Who would actually have placed the 2 up against each other for selection?

And how was Trescothick going to be dropped after 448 runs @ 44.80 in SA?
because mcgrath kept exposing the same weakness in the ODI series that bowlers have been exposing for years on?