• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
Now that is strange. In our local rag, they said England had bowled 113 to Australia's 130..........
I just went through all the scorecards and added them up, so I could be a bit off. Maybe they were including wides as well?
edit: I've gone through it again and my adding up seems right, and even including wides doesn't explain the disparity.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just went through all the scorecards and added them up, so I could be a bit off. Maybe they were including wides as well?
edit: I've gone through it again and my adding up seems right, and even including wides doesn't explain the disparity.
Nah, I'm sure you're right. My local rag is called 'The Advertiser'. Calling it a rag is insulting to rags. :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Nah, I'm sure you're right. My local rag is called 'The Advertiser'. Calling it a rag is insulting to rags. :D
I couldn't bring myself to read that thing when I lived in Adelaide, I just got The Australian instead. It's not that it's the worst paper in Australia, because the Murdoch papers in Melbourne and Sydney are just as bad, but there's no Fairfax option in Adelaide, so it's all you get.

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
Top_Cat said:
Now that is strange. In our local rag, they said England had bowled 113 to Australia's 130..........

Either way, there's been too many no-balls from both sides but with bowlers trying their guts out as all of the bowlers have been, it must be tough to stay behind the line every time.

Conversely, he always backed the players to the hilt, even to his own detriment. He had plenty of tactical nous but I always felt that his ability to inspire confidence in players by backing them, no matter what, was what set him apart. Certainly he does the same as a commentator; you're right about his opinion of Warne and he never has a bad word to say about him. Probably because Warnie would have fit right in with Chappelli's team in the 70's!

Chappelli was always straight down the line, positive and aggressive as a captain from what I've read. Whether he had positive or negative feedback for a player, he was always honest apparently. What more could anyone ask in a captain?
Can someone remind me where the Chappelli nickname comes from

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
atichon said:
Can someone remind me where the Chappelli nickname comes from
Chappel I (I for Ian) used to be put up on the scoreboard to distinguish him from his brother Greg. I think that's where it comes from.

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
Adamc said:
Chappel I (I for Ian) used to be put up on the scoreboard to distinguish him from his brother Greg. I think that's where it comes from.
Yes I remember now. Thanks

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slats4ever said:
of course they're poor bowling, but still suggests that Australia has got the roughest results out've bowling less
Bucknor to cop it for that one too in 5....4....3....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slats4ever said:
read dasa's post.
then you hopefully will reconsider
Why should I reconsider?

Just because England have bowled more no balls doesn't mean that taking a wicket with one is anything but poor bowling for bowling the no ball.

howardj

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Actually, I had heard about Chappelli's comments, mate, I think he just wrote an autobiography (or someone wrote his bio, one of the two). He's never been backwards in his opinions on these two men.

What Bradman and Waugh share is a sense of aloofness - and perhaps a level of distance between themselves and the team. I remember from watching the "Cricket in the 70's" doco that Chappell and Bradman banged heads over pay issues back when Ian was captain - by some accounts Bradman was somewhat elitist and had a touch of the "let them eat cake" about him.

It's no secret that Chappell always wanted Warne to captain Australia - and that, combined with his perception that Waugh wasn't really "one of the boys" (although I genuinely don't believe he thought himself better than anybody he played with, and I believe his conduct and support for the players under him establishes that pretty neatly) just spawned an intense dislike in Chappell. Obviously I disagree completely with his assessment of Waugh's captaincy and character, particularly the "selfish" part. I think Waugh was always very focussed, and socially, fairly shy, unlike the larrikins Chappell tends to favor.

Ponting was heavily favored initially by Chappell when he first got the captaincy, probably because he (Chappell) was so ecstatic that Waugh was gone. I think he's really cooled on Punter by now though.

Chappell's one of those strange characters of the game - I don't think he's a bad guy, but if you rub him up the wrong way (no matter how nebulous), he will hold a grudge forever. He was one of the best captains Australia have had though.
Yeah Chappelli has just put out a book about his views on cricket. I think he broke a record for appearing on two different TV shows, on the one network, on the one day, to promote his book yesterday. It's based on interviews with him, by Ashley Mallet, on various topics. It looks pretty good. Here's a link:

http://www.allen-unwin.com.au/exports/product.asp?ISBN=1741144566

I've always liked Chappelli. I think he's one of the few long-term commentators who remains incisive and analytical - never lapses into merely describing what he sees on the field. And, unlike some recently retired players-turned-commentators, Chappelli puts the viewing audience first, and gives us his honest opinion on players, rather than worrying about his relationship with those players.

Last edited:

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
Isolator said:
Hey, atichon, where is that image in your avatar from? I've seen those guys before...
Basically, it's from the avatar library on the CW site. I'm not skilled enough to be able to invent anything else.

And yes it's Wallace and Gromit, I should think I'm more like gromit the dog, silent, watching, judgeing...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
Yeah Chappelli has just put out a book about his views on cricket. I think he broke a record for appearing on two different TV shows, on the one network, on the one day, to promote his book yesterday. It's based on interviews with him, by Ashley Mallet, on various topics. It looks pretty good. Here's a link:

http://www.allen-unwin.com.au/exports/product.asp?ISBN=1741144566

I've always liked Chappelli. I think he's one of the few long-term commentators who remains incisive and analytical - never lapses into merely describing what he sees on the field. And, unlike some recently retired players-turned-commentators, Chappelli puts the viewing audience first, and gives us his honest opinion on players, rather than worrying about his relationship with those players.
I lost respect for Ian Chappell's commentary when he said that batsman should alert the bowlers when they are going to play the reverse sweep. He said it was like a bowler bowling around the wicket.

I determine it the worst 30 seconds of commentary ever. Considering it came from a man who is considered to have one of the best cricketing brains, it was just ridiculous.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
I lost respect for Ian Chappell's commentary when he said that batsman should alert the bowlers when they are going to play the reverse sweep. He said it was like a bowler bowling around the wicket.

I determine it the worst 30 seconds of commentary ever. Considering it came from a man who is considered to have one of the best cricketing brains, it was just ridiculous.
Just wondering...is it possible for a bowler to bowl with his opposite hand without informing the umpire? Surely some bowlers out there would be capable of doing it and it might just fool a batsmen as a one off :)

Mister Wright

SpaceMonkey said:
Just wondering...is it possible for a bowler to bowl with his opposite hand without informing the umpire? Surely some bowlers out there would be capable of doing it and it might just fool a batsmen as a one off :)
I'm fairly sure you would have to tell the umpire, who would inform the batsman. Its like if you say you're bowling over the wicket but go around the wicket it is a no ball.

social

Shane Watson scored a double hundred for Hampshire yesterday.

As Steve Waugh said in Australian media this week, they need to select him now and give him 2 years to develop.

As Ive said before, his all-round skills mark him as potentially the most important player in the medium term for Aus.

As this series has shown, the aging of Warne, McGrath and Gillespie means that we can no longer afford to have 4 bowlers as a given.

Mister Wright

social said:
Shane Watson scored a double hundred for Hampshire yesterday.

As Steve Waugh said in Australian media this week, they need to select him now and give him 2 years to develop.

As Ive said before, his all-round skills mark him as potentially the most important player in the medium term for Aus.

As this series has shown, the aging of Warne, McGrath and Gillespie means that we can no longer afford to have 4 bowlers as a given.
If he is selected he will probably still bat at 7... :@ :thumbdown

social

Mister Wright said:
If he is selected he will probably still bat at 7... :@ :thumbdown
6 or 7 doesnt matter. Garry Sobers started at 8, Greg Chappell at 7, etc etc

He is good enough to average 40 now in tests, is excellent in the field and will only improve with the ball.

2 years ago, he was as quick as anyone in Aus and then had 12 months off with a back injury. He's good enough for 20 overs a test at present and will only improve if he stays healthy.