• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

tooextracool

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
Anyone which CW member predicted Hayden would fail again in this this Test a while back? I forget.

Oh, that's right, it was me. :D

(and either marc or TEC, I can't remember)

Although admittedly it's the first of my out and out predictions that has actually come true - although I think I predicted the Welsh Dragon to do well, and that turned out alright.
actually it was predicted a very very long time before this series that hayden couldnt play swing or seam, and from his technique its glaringly obvious why. he plants his front foot across the stumps in a graeme smithesque fashion, and therefore has absolutely no chance when the ball is coming back into him. some of the aussie players should take a leaf out of michael clarkes technique, because he has the best technique in the aussie side to counter swing.

tooextracool

International Coach
honestbharani said:
Absolutely, I am still not convinced about England's ability against spin and that is reason enough for that bowling line up to take the field... unless they really, really want to give Tresco his first 100 against Australia. ;)
the england batting lineup is extremely fallible. strauss, bell and jones havent convinced anyone that they are good enough to succeed in this series. pietersen has thrown his wicket away after getting many starts and is yet to go on to make a 100 this series. tresco has the same age old weakness, and a good enough bowler will be able to exploit it. i hope to see macgill and warne bowling to very very aggressive fields when flintoff comes in with plenty of catchers around the bat. the sooner australia realise that playing a 3rd pace bowler simply because they're not convinced that the other 2 will be bowling at their best, is just stupid when the options are a struggling kasparowicz and shaun tait, the better.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
IF we are talking about predictions, how about some credit to the only man who backed Vaughan to get a hundred on the morning of the first day of the OT test? 8-)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
tooextracool said:
is it just me or do all my posts get mixed up with marcs, given that those are the very words i uttered long before the ashes started?
http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=13525&page=3&pp=15&highlight=simon+jones

its been a whole year now since i've backed jones as a serious test match performer, especially considering how often he'd bowl wicket taking balls, only for most batsman not being good enough to edge them. and it got quite annoying after a while to see an england side being named by people consisting of jones/anderson.
Well, excuse me! I just remember Marc saying it, you might have as well, sorry for forgetting you. Happy?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
actually it was predicted a very very long time before this series that hayden couldnt play swing or seam, and from his technique its glaringly obvious why. he plants his front foot across the stumps in a graeme smithesque fashion, and therefore has absolutely no chance when the ball is coming back into him. some of the aussie players should take a leaf out of michael clarkes technique, because he has the best technique in the aussie side to counter swing.
Clarke's 2nd innings knock was very impressive. Even though he was out in a stupid fashion, the fact that he ground it out for 170 balls shows (IMO at least) that he's finally learning to curb his shots a little and play more as he should at Test level.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Good call regarding Clarke. I've been extremely impressed with him all tour, and he's been somewhat unlucky not to have made more runs than he has, in my opinion.

Hayden is clearly well past his best, out of form and has been undone by Hoggard and Flintoff. I don't think he'll be dropped before The Oval, but if he was it would be a boost to Australia's chances to level the series in my opinion.

It's still unclear if McGrath will be fit or not, but if he is I would retain Tait. He put in a fairly good debut performance I thought, and with the form Warne is in I don't see the need for a second spinner. If McGrath isn't there Australia have a real problem and it might be worth looking at Macgill then. Really though, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Australia was unchanged.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure if this has been brought up, but in the morning's Herald, Peter Roebuck (urgh) said that he reckons the line-up for The Oval should be
Langer
Hussey
Ponting
Clarke
Martyn or Katich
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
MacGill
McGrath.

Personally, however, I reckon it'd be more like
Katich
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Hodge
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
McGrath (just to make him happy)
Tait

Not too sure where Hodge normally bats though. If Tait and McGrath play, I think Pidgeon might just edge him out for the number 10 position.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
andyc said:
Not sure if this has been brought up, but in the morning's Herald, Peter Roebuck (urgh) said that he reckons the line-up for The Oval should be
Langer
Hussey
Ponting
Clarke
Martyn or Katich
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
MacGill
McGrath.

Personally, however, I reckon it'd be more like
Katich
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Hodge
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
McGrath (just to make him happy)
Tait

Not too sure where Hodge normally bats though. If Tait and McGrath play, I think Pidgeon might just edge him out for the number 10 position.
lol, that shot by Tait should make sure that he bats no.11 for the rest of his career.

andyc

honestbharani said:
lol, that shot by Tait should make sure that he bats no.11 for the rest of his career.
Haha have not yet seen it, will be watching the highlights on SBS soon though. One does suspect that McGrath could have mustered enough of his recent batting form to stay in for a bit though.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo said:
Ponting indicated that Australia were reluctant to make any changes to their batting line-up, despite the opener Matthew Hayden's form struggle and poor returns from Damien Martyn. "I can't see that happening, to be honest," he said.
Quite bizarre, really (re. Hayden).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
no, your best bowling attack for the game at the oval would be:

mcgrath
lee
macgill
warne

and it would be ludicrous to think otherwise.
why so, the oval is the fastest wicket in the land i see no reason to drop Tait after an impressive debut & why pick 2 spinners at the oval Macgills chances of playing in this series are gone. Pigeon/Bing/Sling & Hollywood will do just fine for me for the final test...

Last edited:

andyc

Come The Oval, would England be playing for a draw or a win? If they are chasing, say, 300 on the last day?

andyc

aussie said:
why so, the oval is the fastest wicket in the land i see no reason to drop Tait after an impressive debut & why pick 2 spinners at the oval Macgills chances of playing in this series are gone. Pigeon/Bing/Sling & Hollywood will do just fine for me for the final test...
4 overs for 24 runs and no wicket in the pivotal stages of the last innings is hardly impressive. Did perform quite well in the first innings though.
And where the hell did 'Sling' come from. I'm pretty sure his nickname is Sloon.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
4 overs for 24 runs and no wicket in the pivotal stages of the last innings is hardly impressive. Did perform quite well in the first innings though.
And where the hell did 'Sling' come from. I'm pretty sure his nickname is Sloon.
even thoguh he went for 24 in this 4 overs he had the right idea's & was getting swing plus he's & really didn't bowl to many bad deliveries in that spell & almost got KP out & to add his impressive 1st innings bowling performace.

well i dont know his nickname they call Lee bing since his 1st letter of his name is B so i'll call Tait Sling :p

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Hmm... that Katich LBW. Interesting.

Nice fight by the Aussies, but once again in vain. Very well bowled Lee and excellence by Warne. I demand McGrath come in for Tait next Test.

Well done England, you`re out-playing us. I just hope we get one more shot at it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I knwo this may seem a little negative, but if I was an England selector I'd be looking to stack the batting for the next test and play for the draw.

I know they are on top at the moment, outperforming Australia etc etc, but really, chances to win the Ashes dont come along every day for England - especially not lately. Flintoff enables a change in the balance of the side without too many dramas. Simon Jones looks like he will be out, so I'd simply replace him with Colly. I'd have a little word to the curator as well.

I wouldnt change playing tactics too much - not at first anyway - I would simply change the team makeup.

Craig

World Traveller
Would say Tremlett would be making his Test debut and the one millionth guy to play Test cricket for England (I know it isn't that high but it must be boarding on to 650?).