• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Langeveldt

Soutie
Welcome to the forums mate...

Although, looking at some of the players mentioned, I dont think there has been any better time for South Africa to push and gain the number one spot... There doesnt seem to be shedloads of talent in Williams and Bracken, although i do like the look of Clarke... very much so...
And although it doesnt seem to mean a lot, not getting to the plate final of the U19 world cup could be worrying for you guys...

Craig

World Traveller
Re: Re: The Australian Cricket future, never looked so good

furious_ged said:
Speaking of superfreaks, how about Marcus North for up and coming? People are starting to take me seriously about him, he's got it. Anyone who can hit over the top of point with his success is a talented man.
Now he has do to it (consistentcy) year in-year out.

He did the season before last, had a shocker last season and has picked up again this year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
An Australian Matthew Wood in batsmen guise!
Only difference is the batting positions.
Well, and the fact that one appears to be a one-day player, the other most certainly does not. :rolleyes:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Re: The Australian Cricket future, never looked so good

StUEy said:
Brad Williams and Nathan Bracken, are promising emergants in the fast bowling stocks, with having great perfmances in the recent series against India.

Just though Id single this little segment out :D

Fair enough Williams had one average game & one decent game in the tests against India , but Bracken never really looked like getting wickets.
Has enjoyed his first & last taste of test cricket methinks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he continues to bowl like he bowled in that series, I most certainly will toast to that.
If he learns how to consistently swing the ball, however, it is totally unfair to write someone off on one series - never say never in cricket.
Bracken's accuracy is something a bit special at times. If he could move the ball he'd be some bowler. That is, of course, a big if, but nonetheless he's bowled pretty well for NSW this season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wonder, how many players have missed domestic games in Australia this year due to international commitments?
I'd bet it's quite a few, and quite a few games missed to boot.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
while the acb are not dumb, they cant help too much that australia has peaked and they are going in a downward slump in the quality of players they are producing, but then again, arnt most countries at the moment? (xept obviously india)
I know saying this will probably bite me in the ass,but NZ are producing some talent.Papps (50 average vs south africa,not many batsmen can say they did that in their international debut series)Fulton(another 50 against wellington,looks to get an odi debut soon IMO)are just a couple.

maybe they just hit a vein of form.lol.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
If Australia has a "mass" retirement of players, there will be a slide in the Aussie performances over a few years, but hopefully not as bad as the 80's!

If CA and the players were willing, they should retire the best players over a few years, not just in one big hit. That is of course, depending on player injuries and the like.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Players should play on as long as they are performing.
IMO there are several players flattered by their records anyway, so it isn't too relevant.
Most of the players have got a few years left in them anyway. Gilchrist, Warne, Langer, Lehmann and McGrath will likely retire at a similar time, Katich, Ponting and Gillespie have still got ages left in them yet, Lee is rubbish anyway, Hayden God knows. It won't matter unless the players coming in are good, anyway.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
"Warne aka the cheat"????
Jesus, imagine if I said the same about......you know who. :!(
If comments like this are made about an Australian player, it's perfectly fine apparently.......

Anyway.......

One name that no-one has mentioned is Sean Tait, a very good prospect in the fast bowling ranks.

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Kenny said:
"Warne aka the cheat"????
Jesus, imagine if I said the same about......you know who. :!(
If comments like this are made about an Australian player, it's perfectly fine apparently.......
yes but the comment came out of an Aussies mouth..... defend them if you must but no-one gives a hoot if you start knocking your players from your own team.:rolleyes: