• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Naveed Qaisar

Cricket Spectator
The lack of experience and bowling is the problem with this SA lineup not the batting.
Bowling:

1. New Bowlers Struggle: South Africa's new bowlers are learning, and it shows. They gave away too many runs in the first innings.
  2. Can't Handle Swing: New Zealand's bowlers are making the ball swing a lot, making it tough for our young batters.
  3. Same Kind of Bowlers: Our bowlers are all similar, making it easy for New Zealand to predict and play against them.
Batting:

1. Top Batsmen Not Consistent: Our main batters, like Markram and Elgar, aren't scoring big consistently.
  2. Lower Batsmen Collapse: In the first innings, the last batters couldn't resist the pressure, and we ended up far behind.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SA bowlers in this series are all old guard stalwarts, that are 30+ and have not ever really made the Test level grade (Olivier for a period); the bowling is just not good enough. And SA franchise batsmen who can't handle swing, bounce or pace don't survive long in SA conditions. Markram and Elgar are totally irrelevant for the debate right now.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Southee is so done as a test bowler. No pace, no lift, just skiddy 126k filth
Right & made so much worse that he's Test skipper & hence effectively undroppable.

On a semi-related note, Southee will probably only captain NZ for ~18 months so we'll need another captain soon. Don't think they're looking at Rachin or Phillips yet, have a sneaking suspicion Santner might end up the one.

And with the ability to take wickets like that, why not :ph34r:.
Santner needs to prove he's a genuine Test wicket-taker first.

Besides you're forgetting about the obvious choice to keep the coin warm before the likes of Phillips or Ravindra are ready...................... D J Mitchell

Last edited:

Bolo.

International Captain
I was amazed his Test record was so good, but he duffed up Pakistan in a home series.
Nobody on CW thought he was particularly good in tests though, even bowling mid 140s and taking a bunch of cheap wickets. Very easy ride and failed the eye test.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Santner needs to prove he's a genuine Test wicket-taker first.

Besides you're forgetting about the obvious choice to keep the coin warm before the likes of Phillips or Ravindra are ready...................... D J Mitchell
Mitchell seems like he might be a good choice though not sure he's ever captained a side?

Howsie

International Captain
Latham will be the next captain

Southee would’ve done a Boult if they didn’t give him the captaincy. The bonus you get from being test captain helped keep him on.

Little more gossip I heard a little rumour the Hamilton test might be Wagners test farewell.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Latham will be the next captain

Southee would’ve done a Boult if they didn’t give him the captaincy. The bonus you get from being test captain helped keep him on.

Little more gossip I heard a little rumour the Hamilton test might be Wagners test farewell.
Not sure why Wagner would retire before the end of the summer, unless Wells has told him he's so far down the order that there's basically no chance he'll be picked v Aus.

Howsie

International Captain
Not sure why Wagner would retire before the end of the summer, unless Wells has told him he's so far down the order that there's basically no chance he'll be picked v Aus.
I’d say that’s it, but I guess we’ll see. If it does happen I’d have to say I’m a big fan of Sam Wells, The anti Larsen-Stead. Not afraid to make the big calls.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I’d say that’s it, but I guess we’ll see. If it does happen I’d have to say I’m a big fan of Sam Wells, The anti Larsen-Stead. Not afraid to make the big calls.
Other than do we really want to potentially undermine our chances by giving Wagner a send-off Test?

I love Wagner and he's really done the hard yards for NZ over the years, but still.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
As a Kiwi fan it's impossible not to love Wagner for all he's done, always and forever playing with his heart on his sleeve.
But surely his time is up, and giving him another test just as a favour wouldn't be the right thing to do.