• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

Flem274*

123/5
Tbf to Stead (yuck) last season was a prick for bowling injuries. Smith, Sears and Fisher all injured and O'Rourke didn't really have the game time to justify a national callup. The players they picked were still kinda wtf (especially Kuggz) but there weren't a lot of great options available at the time.
True I forgot this.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf to Stead (yuck) last season was a prick for bowling injuries. Smith, Sears and Fisher all injured and O'Rourke didn't really have the game time to justify a national callup. The players they picked were still kinda wtf (especially Kuggz) but there weren't a lot of great options available at the time.
Also Doug Bracewell was injured initially then later picked, so we were short of options.

The weird one was Kuggs for the pink ball (Matt Henry's wife having baby) v England instead of Duffy so that we only had 1 new ball bowler in Southee along with 3 short of a length change bowlers (SK, Tickner, and Wagner).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also Doug Bracewell was injured initially then later picked, so we were short of options.

The weird one was Kuggs for the pink ball (Matt Henry's wife having baby) v England instead of Duffy so that we only had 1 new ball bowler in Southee along with 3 short of a length change bowlers (SK, Tickner, and Wagner).
Dougeh.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Good to see Toby Hart appearing on the scorecard for Otago A v NZ Dev. Hadn't seen him in any scorecards yet this season.
Not for Otago, though.

Pace and height.

ataraxia

International Coach
I see we're at the point in the season where every team starts panicking about openers.

Interesting Katene Clarke run out.

Canterbury not doing to much better than their A team.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
L Georgeson has found a new life as a medium pacer and heh, they've made Jamal Todd open the batting in his place. My draft team would prefer they brought Muller into the team though - probs leave our Bacon.

Roady in Auckland? Smith and Sears unable to make a breakthrough.

No Kristian Clarke this round, apparently.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Getting in my annual moan about the domestic schedule, as we approach the half way stage and the 3 month hiatus of the PS.

The 2 blocks of 4 games.

This just isn't realistic for prepearing NZ cricketers. A blackcap would spontaneously combust if asked to play more than 2 consecutive test matches.

So, we understantably (and correctly) get promising fast bowlers like 'O, Rourke, FIsher, Kristian Clarke getting rested for 1 or 2 games per 4-match block. Which means they will play only about 4 or 5 games a season.

Also a minor (month-long) injury can see any promising player missing an entire half of the season (like Mariu is, not that I know his reason).

It should be in 3 blocks. 3 -2 -3.

God only knows why the Ford Trophy is such a sacred cow.
In fact. We'd also benefit from player availability and exposure accross formats if the Ford Trophy is spread out. Easy to entirely miss that format for a season with a badly timed minor injury.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Solia double hundred!

Hampton 7 wickets too - ND are never getting rid of him. Otago failed to ram home the advantage after bowling ND out for 117 - typical. Started the day at 200/5 but then bowled out for just 240.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
Getting in my annual moan about the domestic schedule, as we approach the half way stage and the 3 month hiatus of the PS.

The 2 blocks of 4 games.

This just isn't realistic for prepearing NZ cricketers. A blackcap would spontaneously combust if asked to play more than 2 consecutive test matches.

So, we understantably (and correctly) get promising fast bowlers like 'O, Rourke, FIsher, Kristian Clarke getting rested for 1 or 2 games per 4-match block. Which means they will play only about 4 or 5 games a season.

Also a minor (month-long) injury can see any promising player missing an entire half of the season (like Mariu is, not that I know his reason).

It should be in 3 blocks. 3 -2 -3.

God only knows why the Ford Trophy is such a sacred cow.
In fact. We'd also benefit from player availability and exposure accross formats if the Ford Trophy is spread out. Easy to entirely miss that format for a season with a badly timed minor injury.
It's an interesting idea, but where do you put that middle block of 2? It's not going in peak season, especially now that SS is getting a solid block in the calendar. Maybe straight after SS, around the time of marquee Test season, could work.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Tough on McLachlan being asked to open after almost 2 days of keeping. Wellington really having to manufacture openers now given they’re unlikely to ever see Ravindra again and none of the others they’ve tried have had any notable success. Perhaps Taylor Bettelheim should’ve moved to the capital instead of CD