• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Notable batsmen who performed better away

Qlder

International Debutant
Anyone else think this whole scoring more runs home or away is just a myth rating?

Who's to say their great away records were not just coinciding with a purple patch of form boosting that particular average (or vice-versa a bad run of form at home reducing their average).

To go even more ridiculous, a batsman could have a great average away because he played a majority of minnows, while his home tests were vs the mighty 80's West Indies and other top teams. This stat is pretty much meaningless to me when I rate batsman (unless someone has only ever had bad away series)

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Harvey wasn't a name I was expecting on the list based on Ashes exploits. Turns out he averages >100 across 7 innings in the WIndies and more than 70 in SA in 23 innings. Not bad numbers I guess.

Brook's side

International Regular
Anyone else think this whole scoring more runs home or away is just a myth rating?

Who's to say their great away records were not just coinciding with a purple patch of form boosting that particular average (or vice-versa a bad run of form at home reducing their average).

To go even more ridiculous, a batsman could have a great average away because he played a majority of minnows, while his home tests were vs the mighty 80's West Indies and other top teams. This stat is pretty much meaningless to me when I rate batsman (unless someone has only ever had bad away series)
Because you play 50% of your innings at home.
So if you're stronger away than at home, then your average is misleadingly low.
Also, it likely shows great all round batting ability if you have played well in various overseas conditions.

Qlder

International Debutant
Because you play 50% of your innings at home.
So if you're stronger away than at home, then your average is misleadingly low.
Also, it likely shows great all round batting ability if you have played well in various overseas conditions.
Or like I said, they could have just been in a purple patch of form during their overseas tours and they would have scored equally well at home if scheduled

Yeoman

U19 Captain

This was possible in past decades when series were more infrequent but less so recently when players regularly alternate home and away series.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Probably the one that surprised me most was Ponsford, especially considering his ridiculous shield stats (averages over 80, well clear of anyone who played more than a single season, or 4 games across two seasons)
Anyone apart from Bradman, whose Shield average was 110.
(The "single season" player is Barry Richards - average 104).