• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand team 1998 - 2008

Craig

World Traveller
1/ M Richardson
2/ J Cox
3/ S Fleming*
4/ N Astle
5/ C McMillan
6/ C Cairns
7/ B McCullum+
8/ D Nash
9/ D Vettori
10/ J Franklin
11/ S Bond

Gave you guys Jamie Cox as the 2nd opener. Tasmania/NZ same, same, just a bit different.
Then shouldn't we have Ricky Ponting as well? Ben Hilfenhaus would do as well.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cox never played for Australia maybe the odd ODI, so he wasn't required for Australia. They should have been nice and given him to NZ.

Athlai

Not Terrible
a couple of points

a) the xi never played together - kiwi teams have been successful because they are generally more than the sum of their parts. however, selecting a best xi focuses on choosing the best players and hoping they'd jell together. comparing across the board, black caps dont stand out in terms of their overall quality simply because individually, their records do not compare favourably with the very best from other nations. it's actually an indictment of the team spirit as well as the professionalism inherent in the kiwi teams over the years that they have managed to stay competitive and a vindication of the fact that talent isn't the be all and end all.

b) success in odis doesn't correlate to success in tests. the black caps (limited) success is based on playing to their strengths - unlike, say, australia, pakistan or south africa (during the 90's), one doesn't expect them to beat teams consistently in all sorts of conditions and that's because, looking at the performances of the players individually, they just don't inspire the same faith your waughs and your akrams and your pietersens and your chanderpauls do.
I was talking about ODI's.

Flem274*

123/5
a couple of points

a) the xi never played together - kiwi teams have been successful because they are generally more than the sum of their parts. however, selecting a best xi focuses on choosing the best players and hoping they'd jell together. comparing across the board, black caps dont stand out in terms of their overall quality simply because individually, their records do not compare favourably with the very best from other nations. it's actually an indictment of the team spirit as well as the professionalism inherent in the kiwi teams over the years that they have managed to stay competitive and a vindication of the fact that talent isn't the be all and end all.

b) success in odis doesn't correlate to success in tests. the black caps (limited) success is based on playing to their strengths - unlike, say, australia, pakistan or south africa (during the 90's), one doesn't expect them to beat teams consistently in all sorts of conditions and that's because, looking at the performances of the players individually, they just don't inspire the same faith your waughs and your akrams and your pietersens and your chanderpauls do.
No way, surely not?

It takes more than team spirit to win a cricket match, emotion only gets you so far over an ODI or test. Cricket is a team sport that depends on the success of many individuals to win, which in ODIs (and for a period in tests 1999 to mid 2000s) we have.

Flem274*

123/5
Cox never played for Australia maybe the odd ODI, so he wasn't required for Australia. They should have been nice and given him to NZ.
We'd never accept a handout from Australia. Win, lose or draw, we'll do it with our own players thank you very much.

Flem274*

123/5
Not including Grant Elliott. It is pretty patronising IMO to suggest we should take players not wanted for Australia.
Tbh we could always give them a spinner worthy of the name. Quite funny how many ridicule our domestic system but yet Patel, Martin, hell even Nathan McCullum would take a leisurely stroll in ahead of Cameron White and co.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Richardson
Fleming*
Astle
Taylor
Cairns
Oram
McCullum+
Vettori
Franklin
Nash
Bond

Not too up on NZ cricket, itbt.

illmatic

Cricket Spectator
one day

one day team

1. Astle
2. Fleming (c)
3. Twose
4. Taylor
5. Styris
6. Cairns
7. Oram
8. McCullum
9. Vettori
10. Bond
11. Allot

southee and mills, who i reckon have been way better than nash, occonor, drum, tuffey miss out

test team is too Shiitty.. and i cant even think of too many good players

My grandma could break into the all time New Zealand XI. Southee, Taylor, McCullum, Vettori, and maybe Patel are very good but then again, they have players such as Elliott and Sinclair. You can only wonder how they managed to play international cricket.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
My grandma could break into the all time New Zealand XI. Southee, Taylor, McCullum, Vettori, and maybe Patel are very good but then again, they have players such as Elliott and Sinclair. You can only wonder how they managed to play international cricket.
You said Patel so therefore you get 5 stars. :cool:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'd hate to have a player who averages over 60 with the bat and less than 10 with the ball in my international side. What terrible statistics.

How long are you planning to dire up this forum for?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And your grandmother could probably fill the role of 3rd seamer in the Sri Lankan all-time XI.

In fact, so could my grandmother, and she's been dead since 1986. Still better than Nuwan Zoysa though.

In fact, she'd probably have a decent chance at being your second seamer. How many Sri Lankan seamers with over 50 test wickets average less than 30, by the way? Also, how many Sri Lankan bowlers FULL STOP with more than 50 test wickets average less than 30?

Just **** off, seriously.

And your grandmother could probably fill the role of 3rd seamer in the Sri Lankan all-time XI.

In fact, so could my grandmother, and she's been dead since 1986. Still better than Nuwan Zoysa though.

In fact, she'd probably have a decent chance at being your second seamer. How many Sri Lankan seamers with over 50 test wickets average less than 30, by the way? Also, how many Sri Lankan bowlers FULL STOP with more than 50 test wickets average less than 30?

Just **** off, seriously.
:laugh: :laugh:

At least Zoysa singlehandedly won a match against Australia with the bat and the ball. I do agree, however, that we'd lacked depth in the fast bowling department in the past and NZ have probably produced better seamers such as Bond. But in the present, NZ are in a huge predicament when seamers such as Ian O' Brien are used as opening bowlers. On the otherhand, names such as Malinga, Amerasinghe, Prasad, Fernando (used to be completely **** but improving at a rapid rate), and even Kulasekara seem like the greatest bowlers of all time in comparison to NZ's crop of bowlers. Mendis has Patel covered quite comfortably.

Unfortunately i'm restricted into reinforcing the truth about NZ's place at international level but i hope they can manage to win a game or two in order to avoid any embarrassment.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd hate to have a player who averages over 60 with the bat and less than 10 with the ball in my international side. What terrible statistics.

How long are you planning to dire up this forum for?
Why was he dropped immediately after the first test in Australia if he's that brilliant?