• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali vs. Kumble (right now)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kumble's a champ, and one of my favourite cricketers. But Murali is the better bowler, be it now or when taking into account their whole career.

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
Kumble was not effective every where. Averages 40+ in ENG, PAK and SL. He looked almost toothless in de Silva, Ranatunga, Jayasuriya era on SL pitches, which had plenty of turn, but true bounce. But overall have done very well. Warne, Murali and Kumble are three spinning superstars and they brought us the golden age of spin bowling. We might never see three spinners so good, so different playing in the same era in our lifetimes.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Kumble captained his country in Test Cricket, the others didn't..

Kumble took an absolutely stunning 10 wickets in a single innings the other spinners have not.

Pretty strong legacy's in my book of legacies. :kwasny:
I'm sure 2-3 wickets were because of wrong decisions. Not to mention his 10fer could easily have been avoided with a run-out, but omg Wasim Akram so dumb.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has it occurred to you that just maaaaybe the run-out was deliberately missed? As Srinath was instructed to bowl a wayward line in his final over.

I'd be astonished if anyone's ever taken a 10-for without another bowler creating a chance in the innings (or a run-out chance being offered).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
No on either count. Dev wasn't really close to Hadlee as a bowler, or a Test cricketer.
wrong, kapil was a far better batsman than hadlee, and although hadlee was miles ahead as a bowler, taking into account all-round skills which include fielding as well, they were not that far apart...

Julian87

State Captain
Not much question in my mind that Kumble is the better cricketer by a fair distance, but Murali slightly the better ch..bowler.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Kumble was not effective every where. Averages 40+ in ENG, PAK and SL. He looked almost toothless in de Silva, Ranatunga, Jayasuriya era on SL pitches, which had plenty of turn, but true bounce. But overall have done very well. Warne, Murali and Kumble are three spinning superstars and they brought us the golden age of spin bowling. We might never see three spinners so good, so different playing in the same era in our lifetimes.
The performance against the Best Team in the World counts more, IMHO...

I think if Kumble spins India to a Test win against the Aussies, there would be absolutely no question in anyone's mind ....(something Murali has failed to do so far).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I'm sure 2-3 wickets were because of wrong decisions. Not to mention his 10fer could easily have been avoided with a run-out, but omg Wasim Akram so dumb.
:laugh: Still hurt that Kumble took 10 wickets against Pakistan. Look, wrong decisions have gone in favour of many bowlers. Yet it is Kumble who managed to take 10 wickets to be only the second bowler in history to do so. Give the man some credit for ****s sake.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Murali averages 36 against Australia. Kumble 27. Considering they are the best batting team in the last decade, i think this fact is important. Im a fan of Kumble after the 2004 series in australia when he really bowled well and showed real fighting spirit. At the start of the first innings at sydney he was being smacked around all over the park but kept coming and ended up with an 8fer in the that innings. On form hes as lethal as warne ever was.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Murali averages 36 against Australia. Kumble 27. Considering they are the best batting team in the last decade, i think this fact is important. Im a fan of Kumble after the 2004 series in australia when he really bowled well and showed real fighting spirit. At the start of the first innings at sydney he was being smacked around all over the park but kept coming and ended up with an 8fer in the that innings. On form hes as lethal as warne ever was.
No, he just isn't. Plus, if you take them both out of form, Warne is then far more likely to take wickets. Despite both being leggies, they're totally different bowlers and that makes it hard to compare them, but, even so, I'd still reckon on Warne to take a wicket in a tight spot more than I would Kumble to.

Migara

International Coach
The performance against the Best Team in the World counts more, IMHO
Not necessarily. If you are a spin bowler, your performance against India is more important. And if you are a spin bowler and if you are well handled by a team, who are not the best, on helpful conditions for the bowler, then it will be a bigger problem.

Migara

International Coach
I think if Kumble spins India to a Test win against the Aussies, there would be absolutely no question in anyone's mind ....(something Murali has failed to do so far).
Murali has done it in SL a while back. And if you go extend the argument, Warne has never bowled Ausirailia to victory against India in India or in Austrailia (where he averages 62 against IND), so does that make Warne a lesser performer? No IMO. You should look at how they have performed over all the conditions.

Last edited: