• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most dire cricket board?

Most dire cricket board?

• Total voters

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a real toss-up between the BCCI and PCB I feel, although the WICB could possibly be leading in the polls if the West Indies had a few more decent players, as I'm sure the board would find a way to screw that up for the team.

Interesting vote for NZC too pasag, but not one without it's merits. The Shand Bond controversy, the amount of time John Bracewell was given as Black Caps coach, the 'handling' of Matthew Sinclair and Andre Adams, early retirements of Nathan Astle and Stephen Fleming. You've definitely got a good point, but I don't feel it can compare with some of the sheer stupidity that we see from the PCB.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Hmm, have we really seen that much stupidity from the BCCI? They may be corrupt, terrible for the sport and clear villains for its fans but the BCCI is a powerful organization that knows how to make money and get what it wants. Unfortunately, that's not always in the best interest of cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, have we really seen that much stupidity from the BCCI? They may be corrupt, terrible for the sport and clear villains for its fans but the BCCI is a powerful organization that knows how to make money and get what it wants. Unfortunately, that's not always in the best interest of cricket.
Agreed. They are not stupid.

The problem with BCCI (and they dont think it is a problem) to start with, is that it is run by politicians and their cohoots and people with business interests and all of them are in it for the money and power it offers. Professionals running BCCI one day is a pipe dream. Everyone of those who hold the real power is an 'honourary' office bearer, from the Board President and the very powerful secretary downwards.

As can be expected 'honorary' means only one thing, we dont take any money from the game directly (we take it by other means) and the more astronomical the amounts become the more difficult it is now going to be to ever change this.

The Board president is one of India's most powerful politicians. He was at one time a leading contender to be the Prime Minister of this country.

Most important state boards are now under politicians or their men.

This is bound to result in the criteria for decision making getting warped.

Then the people around the power base, some of them the leading lights and legends of Indian cricket, know which way the bread is buttered, so every one has a stake in sugesting only that which serves, the over all interests of everyone.

having said that, BCCI does distribute a lot of money amongst its players and the difference between the lots of current (and past) cricketers of India from the past is unbelievable.

I know for a fact that the widow of at least one former Test cricketer, who played just five Tests for India in the fifties, is living without having to worry about her grocery bills thanks to the pension that the BCCI gives. Though he was a very senior person in a big Corporation, the poor pension laws (mostly non-existent) in India mean that had it not been for BCCI, the widow of this well educated and well healed cricketer from a well to do family, would have suffered in her old age.

This has to be admired and accepted.

We are critical of BCCI, besides the politicisation and the cronyism, for its doing much less than it can and here I would say those who are being used as advisors, sounding boards, are not doing enough. The policies are short sighted and totally commercial in their focus. This has its consequences and it will have long term implications.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My mistake, wasn't meant to include the BCCI in that last line. They are more corrupt than stupid, I agree.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
The Australian board and VCA lead by McElhone, Bean in the early 1900s would rival any of the worst from today. Not to mention the board at the time of Bodyline which almost kept Bradman out because of some stupid media rule.

Langeveldt

Soutie
BCCI

Tempted to go with the UCBSA for their racial quota policy, but hell you can get into an ODI for the price of a few beers and we've just beaten England, so something must be going right..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The irony of the witchhunt is, if it weren't for the publicity of their endless firebombing of the ICL it probably would have disbanded by now.
I think I'm on safe ground saying the chance of that is roughly zero.

biased indian

International Coach
SA ..due to the team selection system they follow..u select u r best 11 or 12 and then select some 1- 2 ....u r best team should always take filed..if the other is good they will get into to the 11 ultimately....

Langeveldt

Soutie
SA ..due to the team selection system they follow..u select u r best 11 or 12 and then select some 1- 2 ....u r best team should always take filed..if the other is good they will get into to the 11 ultimately....
And they have essentially just given England a test and One day captain.. They'd be even more at a loss without Pietersen

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Irony being England have nicked many times more South African players than South Africa have given England.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Went for Australia for their inability to factor in their obligations for the greater good of the game in not touring Pakistan earlier this year, and curtailing Bangladesh's test tour to ODIs only this winter.

Piss poor. They are in a position to do much, much better.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
WICB. No forward plannning. Incompetency in the most basic things, such as getting players to the squad on time, sorting out contracts, organising tournaments,etc. At least the PCB has a system in place to produce a competitive team. With the WICB any player that comes out good is in spite of them.

pup11

International Coach
Went for Australia for their inability to factor in their obligations for the greater good of the game in not touring Pakistan earlier this year, and curtailing Bangladesh's test tour to ODIs only this winter.

Piss poor. They are in a position to do much, much better.
I don't think one can blame CA on Australian team not touring Pakistan, even if they would have told the players to tour, i am sure not too many regular 1st string players would have agreed to go to Pakistan, so in that case a decision to not tour is better as compared to seeing a worthless series where an Aussie 2nd XI is pitted against Pakistan.
I too find curtailing Bangladesh tour to Australia to just 3 Odi's a very poor decision, but its a commercialy driven world today and not too many sponsers would line-up to back a series featuring Australia and Bangladesh.
I vote for WICB too, because they seem to be doing hardly anything to improve the standard of the game, there is so much passion and love for the game in West indies, inspite of the West indian team not doing too well for a while, WICB is atm probably more concerned about getting their hands on Stanford's money, than concentrating on the bad shape of West indian cricket and thinking of ways to improve it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I do, if it matters.
It doesn't really, and I'm borderline ashamed of myself now because I've long considered talking about who you (you - plural, not specific) put on <ignore> as something that should be prohibited and have now spent a post encouraging someone to do just that.

Was just surprised to see you quote a post by someone you'd previously made a bit of a dance about having on <ignore>.