• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
With the batting, Ponting is clearly a worry. He plays a major role in the Australian test side and if he's out of form it could be troubling. Especially when you consider two of the four batsmen who've looked really good in the ODIs so far won't be in the test team. Gilchrist doesn't look great, but he only bats at seven and only needs one session to turn a match so that shouldn't be too much of a worry, and Hayden is the other point of concern. I think it's more of an issue with a few players than the team as a whole.
Its obvious that Hayden especially Ponting hasn't been in great form but Hayden hasn't looked a batsman out of form, he has been getting starts and getting out, a big one is definately around the corner for Hayden. Ponting on the other hand has looked iffy he has been troubled by both the ENG & BAN bowlers and has been constantly hit on his pads, but that 60 odd even though it was scrathy to me is the innings that he needed & will kick start the runs for Punters this season.

But if it doesn't it will be a serious problem for Australia.

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
How can you mate, he's performing??? :happy:
In my initial post - back on page 1 - I did preface my criticism by saying in the "longer form of the game". Like Brett Lee, I would never deny or try to belittle Clarke's performances in ODI's - he's top shelf. It's in the longer form of the game where his deficiencies have been layed bare, both in four and five day cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
In my initial post - back on page 1 - I did preface my criticism by saying in the "longer form of the game". Like Brett Lee, I would never deny or try to belittle Clarke's performances in ODI's - he's top shelf. It's in the longer form of the game where his deficiencies have been layed bare, both in four and five day cricket.
oh, well in that case we will see what he will do in the Ashes.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Sometimes the longer form can expose problems that the shorter form won't, yes. But, if he is really completely incompetent against pace bowling, and the ball moving around off the wicket, surely that would be discovered in OD games as well? It's not like his problem is against the bouncer or something.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Sometimes the longer form can expose problems that the shorter form won't, yes. But, if he is really completely incompetent against pace bowling, and the ball moving around off the wicket, surely that would be discovered in OD games as well? It's not like his problem is against the bouncer or something.
'Completely incompetent' is dramatising things a bit. I think one of the reasons his weakness - on a good length, on off stump - hasn't been exposed in ODI's, is because, in that form of the game, you play with much more freedom - both physically and mentally.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
There's far less fielding pressure in an ODI though - pushing the ones in that form wouldn't be the same in a Test.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Digging this a bit, but I'm interested in seeing if the two Queenslanders (howardj and Mister Wright) and anyone else who throught Clarke would be a failure in England still think so? He's been one of the three batsmen who's looked really good in the ODIs so far, and looks to be in top form to me. The key thing being, he's scored runs against Harmison and Flintoff when they've been bowling well, and the pitches haven't exactly been roads either. Then, yesterday against Bangladesh (not the greatest bowling attack obviously) he scored a matchwinning and very, very classy 80 on a difficult wicket.

As things go, I'd expect him to have a pretty good series. Thoughts?
No, Clarke will still fail on the Ashes test. He has shown time and time again that he really can't handle class fast bowlers, and he will struggle with Harmisson, Flintoff (in particular) and Hoggard and Jones (or whoever is the fourth seemer) conitnually bowling. He can't just see them off like he does in ODIs and his technical flaws outside offstump and inconsistent footwork will be exposed by the English bowlers.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, Clarke will still fail on the Ashes test. He has shown time and time again that he really can't handle class fast bowlers, and he will struggle with Harmisson, Flintoff (in particular) and Hoggard and Jones (or whoever is the fourth seemer) conitnually bowling. He can't just see them off like he does in ODIs and his technical flaws outside offstump and inconsistent footwork will be exposed by the English bowlers.
I'm the first to bring up Clarke's deficiencies outside off-stump but to say he 'will' fail is a tad harsh, dont ya think? And FaaipDeOiad is right; he's looked in good touch so far, playing the dour innings when Austraia's been in trouble and playing his shots when he needs to. Ever cross your mind that those off-stump flaws have been pointed out to him and that he's recitified them since the tour of NZ?

And his ODI form can't be ignored; ODI form doesn't necessarily translate to Test form but it's not meaningless either. Time will tell but frankly, you really have no idea how he'll do in the Tests.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
that way to harsh mate, he has looked fairly good againts Harmison & Flintoff at Bristol. ODI form has doesn't always translate into test but you cant just say its totally irrelevant to what he can do in the test series.

Has top cat said time will tell

Mister Wright

Top_Cat said:
I'm the first to bring up Clarke's deficiencies outside off-stump but to say he 'will' fail is a tad harsh, dont ya think? And FaaipDeOiad is right; he's looked in good touch so far, playing the dour innings when Austraia's been in trouble and playing his shots when he needs to. Ever cross your mind that those off-stump flaws have been pointed out to him and that he's recitified them since the tour of NZ?

And his ODI form can't be ignored; ODI form doesn't necessarily translate to Test form but it's not meaningless either. Time will tell but frankly, you really have no idea how he'll do in the Tests.
It's only my opinion. I can say he will fail all I like. Just like you can say he may not - go for you life.

His deficiencies may have been pointed out to him, but what I have seen of him sofar this series they haven't. He is still coming half forward to balls outside off stump, and the times he has been caught LBW he is in 2 minds to come forward or back - he still has a lot to work on. Field placings will be a lot tighter for a lot longer and there will be slips there.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
that way to harsh mate, he has looked fairly good againts Harmison & Flintoff at Bristol. ODI form has doesn't always translate into test but you cant just say its totally irrelevant to what he can do in the test series.

Has top cat said time will tell
He can look as 'fairly good' as he likes. After his poor summer at home in tests he had an equally poor tour of New Zealand. Nothing in his innings in these one day games has said to me he has made the necessary modificaitons to do well on this tour. If I was Brad Hodge I would make sure I'm ready for the 3rd or 4th test.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
It's only my opinion. I can say he will fail all I like. Just like you can say he may not - go for you life.
One opinion ('will') has an air of certainty, the other ('may') is far more sensible.

You should know by now there's no such thing as certainty in cricket - *cough*Bangladesh*cough*

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
He can look as 'fairly good' as he likes. After his poor summer at home in tests he had an equally poor tour of New Zealand. Nothing in his innings in these one day games has said to me he has made the necessary modificaitons to do well on this tour. If I was Brad Hodge I would make sure I'm ready for the 3rd or 4th test.
Woo hoo. Go, Cheaty.

Can England pick Corky too?

howardj

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
One opinion ('will') has an air of certainty, the other ('may') is far more sensible.

You should know by now there's no such thing as certainty in cricket - *cough*Bangladesh*cough*
*cough*DeFreitas being recalled*cough*

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
well even if Pup does fail, we have an excellent replacement in Hodge.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I hope you're right because it'll just prove what I said about Clarke in the year before he was picked when everyone was saying he was the Messiah. I like seeing good cricket but I enjoy being proven right even more. :D