• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall vs Hadlee (overall cricketers)

Marshall vs Hadlee

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Agreed. A batting average of under 20 and no centuries doesn't stack up. Hadlee's superiority in this area easily compensates for any bowling advantage Marshall might hold.
Hadlees batting to me is also somewhat overrated frankly. I don't see him impacting many games at 7/8 as much as Marshall is going to win games in the SC or on flat tracks that Hadlee might not.

To me this comparison would be somewhat like Hammond vs Kallis as cricketers, though a bit tighter since Kallis ain't as near a bat. Kallis being below the level of a proper full-time bowler means his supposed greater superiority in the second discipline is not really what it's being made out to be.

subshakerz

International Coach
Let me clarify on how I review the batting levels of these ARs and Marshall of that period:

Botham: Genuine no.6
Imran: Borderline no.6/7
Kapil: Genuine no.7
Hadlee: Borderline no.7/8
Marshall: Genuine no.8

Hence why I dont see the batting difference between Hadlee and Marshall as making a huge difference in the context of games. In fact, those with mid-20s averages tend to deceive somewhat.

Chin Music

State Regular
Marshall was simply the greatest bowler that I have watched in my lifetime. Hadlee was brilliant but Macko simply had the ability to overcome any surface in his absolute pomp in a way that Hadlee couldn't. I take that over the notably better batting of paddles.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
If you are counting Marshall's batting for something than you have to count Pollock's batting for a LOT and he will be ranked ahead of McGrath. You are walking the wrong path. I can only warn you.

Bolo.

International Captain
If you are counting Marshall's batting for something than you have to count Pollock's batting for a LOT and he will be ranked ahead of McGrath. You are walking the wrong path. I can only warn you.
I don't see why you would factor in Hadlee's batting and ignore Marshall's. The gap between them as bats isn't that big.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I don't see why you would factor in Hadlee's batting and ignore Marshall's. The gap between them as bats isn't that big.
So , why wasn’t Marshall considered all rounder ? If his batting was close to Hadlee , shouldn’t he be considered all rounder ?

How can we ignore batting average difference of 9 ?

Bolo.

International Captain
So , why wasn’t Marshall considered all rounder ? If his batting was close to Hadlee , shouldn’t he be considered all rounder ?

How can we ignore batting average difference of 9 ?
I'm not saying ignore it. It's the reason I voted for Hadlee. But Marshall is much closer to Hadlee than he is to Chris Martin. I think you are just comparing a useful tail end bat to a very useful one.

smash84

The Tiger King
A lot of revisionism going on in this thread. Marshall was nowhere near Hadlee as a bat. Marshall was worse than Wasim FFS. And nobody considers Akram as being close to Hadlee as a bat. The difference is pretty big.

Swamp Witch Hattie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I see that the current voting stands at 6-26 in favour of Hadlee which is what he took against England in 1978. Based on this, I think that the final tally in favour of Hadlee will be 9-52.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not saying ignore it. It's the reason I voted for Hadlee. But Marshall is much closer to Hadlee than he is to Chris Martin. I think you are just comparing a useful tail end bat to a very useful one.
There is a threshold below which secondary skill doesn't matter IMO. No one takes Tendulkar's bowling into account when comparing him with Lara. Even if you did, the gap between batting of Marshall and Hadlee is too large to matter at all.

Coronis

International Coach
Hadlees batting to me is also somewhat overrated frankly. I don't see him impacting many games at 7/8 as much as Marshall is going to win games in the SC or on flat tracks that Hadlee might not.

To me this comparison would be somewhat like Hammond vs Kallis as cricketers, though a bit tighter since Kallis ain't as near a bat. Kallis being below the level of a proper full-time bowler means his supposed greater superiority in the second discipline is not really what it's being made out to be.
You do realise Hadlee was better in the SC than Marshall right?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Yes.
Its a very small difference, equivalent of the difference between Marshall and Gillespie as bowlers. Negligible. 😴

shortpitched713

International Captain
Don't worry about Pollock vs McGrath. Come to the dark side, and accept that the most valuable post war cricketers list, looks something like this:

Imran
McGrath
S Pollock
Murali
Hadlee

Steyn
Ambrose
Marshall
Donald
Miller
Garner
Ashwin
Philander
Wasim
Warne

Top 5 very clearly separate themselves from the pack though, in my mind.

Last edited:

Bolo.

International Captain
There is a threshold below which secondary skill doesn't matter IMO. No one takes Tendulkar's bowling into account when comparing him with Lara. Even if you did, the gap between batting of Marshall and Hadlee is too large to matter at all.
Sachin barely bowled, and it's debatable is he typically added value when he did. You bat every time your team Needs runs.

What's the cutoff for disregarding batting? If a bat as weak as Steyn can win a big series with the bat, why should we not credit him for it in relation to a complete spud?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Sachin barely bowled, and it's debatable is he typically added value when he did. You bat every time your team Needs runs.

What's the cutoff for disregarding batting? If a bat as weak as Steyn can win a big series with the bat, why should we not credit him for it in relation to a complete spud?
The big brain answer is that there is no cut off. (But realistically you shouldn't be expecting anything from 11s, or mostly even 10s).