• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wow good digging. Didn't realise Kaneh was a twin - Logan Williamson can you please pull your finger out, we could do with another test opener.

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
remember reading that article years ago about Thorpe's bat, and when KW started doing well I thought it may have been about him. tried searching for that article but couldn't find it, now you've posted it.

BC_fan_abored

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mother ****er went to my school at the same time as me. Weird that i never heard of him in my entire time there.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Wow good digging. Didn't realise Kaneh was a twin - Logan Williamson can you please pull your finger out, we could do with another test opener.

Not digging - it was on the Herald website today. Good point about the twin - send Logan over for the IPL in disguise so Kane can prepare for the tests in England

jcas0167

International Debutant

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yet another failure for Williamson, will be feeling the pressure to keep his spot.

Flem274*

123/5
bets on how many pages long this thread will be by the time he retires?

29 pages long and he's only 24(?), started when he was 18-19 so I'm going for 120 pages.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
bets on how many pages long this thread will be by the time he retires?

29 pages long and he's only 24(?), started when he was 18-19 so I'm going for 120 pages.
I am forever grateful that I watched what I said early doors after his initial ducks

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I just saw this stat today - I don't think Turner gets enough recognition for his batting:

Highest batting ave in won ODIs (min 1000 runs):
MS Dhoni 74.23
GTurner 72.88
Amla 71.98
Kohli 69.69
AB de Villiers 66.03
Bevan 65.24

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just saw this stat today - I don't think Turner gets enough recognition for his batting:

Highest batting ave in won ODIs (min 1000 runs):
MS Dhoni 74.23
GTurner 72.88
Amla 71.98
Kohli 69.69
AB de Villiers 66.03
Bevan 65.24
Glenn Turner has always been criminally underrated. His fall-out with NZ cricket administrators right at his peak really stifled what could have been an amazing career. Was right up there with the best batsmen in the world in the mid-late 70s if we're talking about run-scoring.

Used to absolutely boss county cricket along with Barry Richards. Shame there's hardly any footage of him out there.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Glenn Turner has always been criminally underrated. His fall-out with NZ cricket administrators right at his peak really stifled what could have been an amazing career. Was right up there with the best batsmen in the world in the mid-late 70s if we're talking about run-scoring.

Used to absolutely boss county cricket along with Barry Richards. Shame there's hardly any footage of him out there.
He reminds me of my batting in some ways. He would either decide right at the start of his inning to take no prisoners and destroy the opposition or he would be quite slow and deliberate. So my memory is that he would be at either extreme.

My lasting memory of him is that he had been out of the team and then it was announced he was returning and people were excited even though I was too young to have heard of him. He immediately was our best bat and did it from the number 1 position, none of this hiding down at number 3 or 4. He played one inning where he smashed some century after being dropped on 15 getting a leading edge that went straight up.
"After that drop I just decided to hit it with the full face of the bat for the rest of the inning because it obviously wasn't coming on". As a young ten year old batsman I put that lesson away in the filing cabinet. "Always adjust your shots to suit each pitch".

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I can understand that. You see McCullum blazing away at a strike rate of 200 and you don't think Williamson can hurt you. Next thing you know he has 50 from 52 balls and has taken the game away from you.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I can understand that. You see McCullum blazing away at a strike rate of 200 and you don't think Williamson can hurt you. Next thing you know he has 50 from 52 balls and has taken the game away from you.
I think his point was moreso about his personality than his actual batting approach. Bowlers -- particularly fast bowlers -- gear themselves up for the big personal battles. Williamson is too humble to get involved in that crap, he just bats, so it'd be harder for an emotion-driven bowler to get into the contest and focus on the enormity of his wicket.